The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
Pyrotechnic

Am I being too picky ?

I've said this often but to make a long story short, last year someone ran into my 78 and totaled it. The insurance has been settled and I did get a decent amount of money back. I'm in college and there are 3 weeks of class left then I go back home to start working during the summer. I haven't had a vehicle all year but I NEED another 73-87 by the time summer starts. Why 73-87? There are tons of parts invested in the 78, many which are reusable and moving up a model, to a 88-98 would make all those parts useless and add lots of cost. Buying just any vehicle for transportation is a waste, because once that happens it's set in stone and theres little to no chance that I'll get what I want.

My dad and I have been searching for trucks all year, but every 73-87 we've looked at has been a piece of junk.

Some have been ghetto rigged to hell and have excessive rust, but even the nicest ones have rust in the rockers and cab corners, and all of them need the front end rebuilt. The front suspension rebuild is not a big deal, and most people never think of that anyway.

Are rusted cab corners and rockers just a fact of life when it comes to these trucks ? I'm just getting the feeling that being as picky as my dad and I are, that I'm not going to be getting another vehicle anytime soon.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 04-22-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
vern350
like a rock

Re: Am I being too picky ?

x2. My dad and myself have looked at least 25 of them over the past 2 yrs. Were still looking, and I think its good to be picky. Good things come to those who wait.
vern350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
Are rusted cab corners and rockers just a fact of life when it comes to these trucks ?
I believe it is, I have the same problem with mine. I hunted all over for another cab (probably about 20) and all were rusted out in that area but one.
It had a whole rusted below the windshield left corner about the size of a golf ball, But everything else was solid.

I was too picky and passed, Now after installing the right floor panel, Right rocker, and right corner I'm kickin my azz for not buying it. I still have the left side to go.
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:28 PM   #4
boatpuller

no,be picky.unless you have a way to do body work and replace rockers,cab corners,floor boards.iv'e only had mine a couple of years and know what you mean about looking for a non ruster,especially here in the n.w rain capital.there out there.i looked at several before i bought mine.i actually liked some of the visually rusted ones better than the ones with bubbles under the paint.you don't know what kind of repair was done.but probably was half ass.around here i ran into rust on floor where kickpanel and floor meet.sotra a rocker area,from leaking windshields.don't know your budget limit .but,a few nice ones on ebay right now.there again hard to tell looking at pics.i always like to buy from older people,get a unmolested one.good luck,it will popup sooner or later.there's alot of these old ones around.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

It sure is nice living in Arizona

Come here and look for a truck! They are a dime a dozen, and nearly all of them are rust free!
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
benoit454
Chris

I know what you mean about being picky.

I had a 76 that I couldn't save due to rust being way too far gone.

I want another one, we have an 84 and it's ok, but I would settle for the 81-87, but I'd rather have a 73-80 and probably throw on the 79 front chrome like my 76 was, also I want one that's setup for standard shift since mine was, and I'd love to find one with manual brakes as well. Then it be exactly like my old truck, but I need one with a good cab and bed, or need to get a welder and practice lol. I haven't looked much but when I do it's gonna need to be exactly like that or very close. Else I'll just be changing and adding things to make it that way.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #7
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme80 View Post
nearly all of them are rust free!
I can vouch for that, That's where my replacement bed came from. No rust no where !
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:02 PM   #8
fosheec

I am really surprised that you can't find anything, especially here in South Texas. Keep looking - especially in the San Antonio area. The only thing I can think of is that all the construction crews (usually full of our hermanos from down south) buy them up cheap and then beat them to death. Try the I-10 corridor towards El Paso. It is just as dry that way as it is in Arizona, believe me (I lived in Phoenix for two years). Just stay away from the Gulf Coast.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:17 PM   #9
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

You might also look closer at the 81-up trucks. They changed the rustproofing with the redesign (I think), and they don't seem to rust as much. I would check craigslist for both Dallas and Austin, something decent is bound to pop up.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:19 PM   #10
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Ya need to travel further north!! There are plenty of trucks but yes finding a solid truck is not easy. Plan on paying a decent price for a good find too. People are starting to hold on to these trucks.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:19 PM   #11
Pyrotechnic

Austin has mainly been where we've been looking.

Here in Texas I know many have been worked to death by the foreign labor community here since they are so cheap and easy to work on. Parts are a dime a dozen. Many also have fallen victim to the South Texas vehicle caravans where people from the valley or across the border come to vehicle auctions here, buy them cheap, and latch 3 or 4 to the back of a minivan and take them back to rig them into a semi running state and sell them for profit. Of course most of these are trashed to begin with. Those of you from South Texas probably see these going down highway 77 in the middle of the night all the time.

As for price, all we've looked at have been in the $2000-$3500 range. I can and am willing to go up into the $5000ish bracket if necessary though. I'm just getting a little anxious here because I need to work this summer to build up cash for the rest of next school year and without a vehicle it's going to be very hard. It comes down to having another 73-87 or walking.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 04-22-2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:25 PM   #12
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

I'll keep my eyes open for a good one. Checkout Austin craigslist.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:04 PM   #13
6977chev

speaking of rust i,ve noticed that 73-80's rust alot worse than 81-87's. my neighbor said he bought 76 new and with in 2 years it already had rust holes above the back wheels and the rockers. what was the deal with that. just junk metal i guess.
6977chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:33 PM   #14
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

every truck ive seen here in the north east has that kind of rust it wouldnt deter me even tho id have to pay someone to fix that for me

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:54 PM   #15
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

I waited till I found an 83 with every available power option (for back in the day). LWB with 4.11's in the rear...that took for friggin ever...finally towed home my beautiful Jezabelle...slapped my motor in her...and now she is what she is today.

patience is a worthwhile virtue brother...trust me, it makes the apple that much sweeter.

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:02 PM   #16
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Pyrotechnic- Dude you are in Texas. If you haven't found a rust free truck you just aren't looking hard enough. They are out there, you just have to look harder...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:59 AM   #17
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I spent a year and a half looking for a clean unmolested truck in this area. I finally found the one I have now 6 years ago, but I had to pay more than I wanted to. It has been in the New Braunfels/San Antonio area since new. You can see how clean and straight it is by clicking on the link in my sig.

I developed a small rust bubble in the cab corner last year, so it happens even on Texas trucks.

Slonaker
Old 04-23-2007, 12:19 PM   #18
71chevylowrider

Are you looking for a completely finished truck? Or maybe one that has already had some nice mods done to it, (lowered the right way, wheels/tires body work done, but needs painting, ect. might need some interior work?
71chevylowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:55 PM   #19
Pyrotechnic

Just looking for something fairly unmolested with a good rust free body, decent interior and at least an A/C cab that I can get in and drive. Engine and transmission aren't a big deal original or not but it needs to run and drive as is or do so with not too much work. I'm not looking to pay a bunch for a nice engine or expensive wheels that I don't like though since I already have a complete driveline from engine to rear end and I have some decent wheels wrapped in brand new rubber already.

Now if the truck came with a set of polished aluminum Torque Thrusts in good shape wrapped in nice rubber, thats something I'd be willing to factor into the price but 22" gangster wheels wrapped in rubber bands....nope.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #20
71chevylowrider

I hear ya, I just remembered a guy i know in my neighborhood that is a great mechanic/fabricator/painter ect. He has a nice lowered 73-87 that he's been working on for awhile, I don't remember all the particulars I wasn't looking for a truck at the time, but if I was, I would have no problem buying one from this guy, he know his stuff, he does quality work, he even has one of those big car lifts in his home shop that you can raise the vehicle up in the air to work on it, or park another vehicle under it, anyway, he works here at Clark, I'll ask him more about it & see if he's got any pictures.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:45 PM   #21
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

well to you guy out ther eloking i come accross rust free or close to it trucks from time to time if i do came across any ill let you guys know. I may not be able to have them but if some else that love this truck as much as i i have to problem helping.

heck i just pick up me truck for 300 bucks and after about 1500 buck shes got one very wicked motor and transmission. it pritty rust free and onle bad spot is cab corners all else it free of rust. I summit a pic soon

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one

Last edited by Srubydo1986; 04-23-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:29 PM   #22
71chevylowrider

I got some more info on the truck my neighbor has & some pic's, it's a 78 & it has "NO RUST" it has been lowered with Bell Tech components, has a nice 350 crate motor with a TH-400, chrome rally's, has shaved doors & elelctric poppers, nice cowl induction hood, most all the body work has been done, all the trim pieces are there, Glass is all there, needs some interior work is all.
Attached Images

Last edited by 71chevylowrider; 04-24-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:40 PM   #23
BaddBusa2005

my cab corners are just now bubbling, they will get replaced this summer. I think it is a fact of life, unless you have the papa owned- own owner that has 18k miles on it, and has been in a garage since 85
Old 04-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #24
69BBsuburban
Right in front of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6977chev View Post
speaking of rust i,ve noticed that 73-80's rust alot worse than 81-87's. my neighbor said he bought 76 new and with in 2 years it already had rust holes above the back wheels and the rockers. what was the deal with that. just junk metal i guess.
Yeah, your right.....'73-'76's seem to rust away quicker, sometime in '76/7 better quality metal was used I think....or better rust proofing.
I replaced both rockers and one cab corner when I built mine.....really not that big a deal.
'68 Dodge Charger R/T
1930 Ford Model A
69BBsuburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #25
KMK454

They're out there - there are quite a few rust-free ones in GA. Mine has a speck on it here and there but the underside and firewall were undercoated like hell at the dealership back in 78. That plus garage-queen status kept it rust free.

There's an early 80's GMC lwb that is mostly rust-free for sale here on Fort Benning. Looked quite solid...

You might want to try things like hemmings.com or collectorcartrader.com to find the right truck. All the 73-87 hits I found at those sites were mostly rust-free.
1991 Camaro B4C
KMK454 is offline   Reply With Quote