The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
mnz28

oil leak help

Hey people,
Im having major problems with my 87 full size blazer 4x4. I have a nice steady drip of oil coming down near the filter area. I thought at first a fitting for the oil cooler was loose. I looked into it somemore and got oil dripped all over me. Above the filter on the block I have a roughly 3/8th inch pipe thats about 3 inches long with a 90 deg fitting on the end. Threaded into it is a sensor of some sort with a wire coming out of it. If I pop the hood it is directly behind the ds exhaust manifold. Well anyway the oil appears to be coming out of this sender. I dont think this has anything to do with the oil pressure gauge as the sender for that is behind the throttle body. What is this "sender" ? Can I just plug it off and be good to go?
mnz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:41 PM   #2
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

Re: oil leak help

now the question is... is it a big block of small block? Big blocks have their oil sending unit/gauge hookup there. If it is a small block or V6 then its located by the distributor (and not what it would be for you).
likely just the sending unit seal needs replaced
-------------------
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:35 AM   #3
Damien

The leaky sender should be the sender for your gauge in the dash. The sender behind the TB is for your fuel pump. The oil leak is coming through the diphram in the sender. Replace the sender.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:01 AM   #4
mnz28

It was the sender, rusty and weak. Is it possable Gm put 2 senders in and just hooked one up depending on if you have a gauge or dummy light?
mnz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:51 AM   #5
Damien

I am assuming your truck is fuel injected beacause you mentioned a throttle body. The one but the distributor is a fuel pump cut off. If you don't have enough oil presure the fuel pump shuts off, hopefully saving your engine. The sender on the side of the block is for the gauge in the dash. hope this helps.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
KShortell

Also check to make sure that it's not leaking from the factory oil cooler adapter. I had that problem a couple of years ago. There's a $3 gasket that goes between the adapter housing and the block.

In regards, to the sensor you see down there, some years had the gauge pressure sender. It looks like a large bell-type sender.

Good luck!

Last edited by KShortell; 05-21-2007 at 09:37 PM.
KShortell is offline   Reply With Quote