The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

rust sucks

so, while the truck was sitting so long, and the master cylinder was leaking, it was dripping right on the inner fender all the paint on the fender is all crackly and peeling now and its being a bee eye tee see ahe to get cleaned up.

i decided the other day i'm taking the truck down for some well needed tlc in the engine bay and front end. i'll be moving some things around and cleaning up along with replacing the carburator.

but step 1 is cleaning, which means getting as much of that old rusty paint off the inner fender and repainting it.

oh, and whats the best way to clean my intake manfold without removing it? its gotten a little dirty in some spots and i want to make it look so fresh and so clean clean again
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Prerunner1982

Re: rust sucks

you have been posting alot lately... have you been home more or just get on at work?
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerunner1982 View Post
you have been posting alot lately... have you been home more or just get on at work?
depends on the day
Old 04-23-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
tyjoja

Did you say rust or a bad inner fender? I'd just replace it, Mine was rusty below the battery box on the passenger side. found a set on craigs list for like 60 bucks. Took like 10 easy to get to bolts and about a half hour. fact is I still have the driver side one I need to get rid of. to bad your a long way from ore. good luck.
tyjoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

yeah, i was thinking about just replacing them, but i dont know if i wanna replace them.

its not rusted very bad, just surface rust really
Old 04-23-2007, 09:42 PM   #6
benoit454
Chris

I would just sand it down, prime it with self etch primer or epoxy to further stop the rust, from either starting or coming back through, then paint it. if sanding doesn't work try a grinder or wire wheel. Maybe even por-15 or something.

As for the intake if it's alum. I used some brake clean and a brillo pad on mine, it was just reg. alum. not polished or any fancy coating and once done it turned out very nicely, like brand new. it had dark spots and stains from a leaking thermostat housing when I cleaned it, also had it off to do so and get all the little areas. Even had overspray on it, now it's all clean like brand new.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote