The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2007, 12:52 AM   #1
FIVE 0

Gauge cluster probs

Electrical is my weakest subject, but I know enough to screw things up. My fuel guage, amps, tach, and maybe my temp gauges are not working. ( Yes, the only ones working are the mechanical ones ). So I took the cluster out tonight and checked the grounds, found a couple that could have been fouled but not sure. The printed curcuit looks ok and I couldnt see any obvious problems. I put the cluster back in and now have the same problem with the gauges and lost half of my lights, the lights worked prior to removal.

Question: Can any of this be bench tested? What prongs on the back go to the lights? Or should I be looking at a new printed circuit?

I would like to find a way to check the cluster on the bench so I can rule it out and check the truck or visa versa.

Thanks
FIVE 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Re: Gauge cluster probs

FiveO- I test the circuit panel with my "audible" multi meter. Just go around and touch each end of every circuit with the leads and listen for the beeps for continuity!. Since you had lights before removing it I would check the contacts on the bulb holders. I sand them down and check the bulbs. There are only 4 bulbs that light the gauges. Is it possible somebody installed a gauge type cluster in a non-gauge type truck???.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
FIVE 0

70c10,
Thanks for the response. I will pull it again this afternoon and check those things. I dont have a multimeter but prety sure I can borrow one. The truck is a factory gauge truck without the tach. I found this cluster at our family wreckin yard but had never checked it. Just seemed od that all electrical gauges would not work and then I start killin lights. Its gota be somthin simple.

Thanks again, Ill take a couple pics as long as its out and post them if im still having problems.
FIVE 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #4
shifty
Questionable

Five 0

I want to make clear one thing:

If you originally had a 3-gauge cluster and you just installed a 7-gauge cluster from a junkyard PULL IT IMMEDIATELY.

You can't just put a 7-gauge cluster into a 3-gauge dash - the wiring for each is different. GMCPaul's website has the information on what wires you need to swap to do the 3- to 7-gauge dash conversion.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote