The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Vintage air, short water pump, brackets, pulleys???

Hey all, I've decided to bite the bulled and get a vintage air "sure fit" set-up for my truck (after shipping/taxes it will be around $1,175!!!) Anyway, my alternator is on the passenger side. I also have a long water pump. I priced the kit out from a local hot rod shop and the guy said he's take a look at my truck with me when I come back to place the order to be sure I get the right stuff.

I asked if I could get a bracket for the DS of my truck, and he said he had a kit for $80! I tried a couple local yards and no luck with a DS alt bracket (not many places have old vehicles around here anymore ) So I figured my next option would be to use the DS 72 "short" water pump alt. bracket I have in my parts pile and buy a new short water pump for $30. That way everything is more stock anyway?

My question. What exactly makes a short pump short? Is is the distance from the back of the pump to the block, or the actual nose of the pump where the fan bolts? Reason I ask is that I have a double pulley on my pump now and I'm not sure if it would rub with a short nose pump? Will a short water pump even work with an 80's 350? I have a triple pully on the crank.

I need to figure out what I'm going to do so I can finalize what set-up needs to be ordered from vintage air. If I have to, I'll spend the $80 for the kit the guy has, but I'd rather have a more stock look and save some $$ if I can.

Thanks for any help
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:27 PM   #2
71see10
Worthless

Re: Vintage air, short water pump, brackets, pulleys???

I just helped my brother-n-law put a sure fit kit on his 72.His engine is 88ish or newer and he want the compressor on the passenger side,so he had to buy everything for a short water pump.The distance from the block to the fan,makes it short or long pump.He had to get another ps pump and bracket,water pump pulley(2 grove),crank pulley(3 grove),alt. bracket for a short water pump.
We also bought ours direct from vintage air(around the same price and no middle man,1095+shipping + any think fancey you want).Call them, I beleave they have a sure fit kit for long water pump and the compressor on the drivers side but there will be a lot of hose routeing but would save a little money.Hope I not to far off course for you and I could be wrong about the compressor on the drivers side but this was one of the Questions they ask me on both systems I ordered.Also I drove mine today around a 100 mile trip,was the first real time I really use the system and I loved it,Had it on low the hole trip .Heres a pic of mine,I dont have one of brother-n-laws yet!!!!

71see10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:36 AM   #3
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: Vintage air, short water pump, brackets, pulleys???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71see10 View Post
I just helped my brother-n-law put a sure fit kit on his 72.His engine is 88ish or newer and he want the compressor on the passenger side,so he had to buy everything for a short water pump.The distance from the block to the fan,makes it short or long pump.He had to get another ps pump and bracket,water pump pulley(2 grove),crank pulley(3 grove),alt. bracket for a short water pump.
That sounds like exactly what I need to do. I already have the 3 groove crank and 2 groove water pump pully, AND I already have the driverside alt. brackets... sounds like I need to get a short water pump and be done with it

Thanks!
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote