The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
Slammed70

Tell me what you think....

Well, I the GF is pregnant....

So Im gonna park the truck and drive the economical(but less fun/attention grabbing S-10). While its parked I think Im accually gonna start working on it and making it the way I want it to be. Heres what Im thinking....

Motor: Yank the 454, rebuild...make meaner. Possibly locate a wrecked/thrashed BBC 87+ truck, rip all the FI stuff out and retro into my truck. 572''/.590'' 284°/292° Cam, maybe some stroking, 10.5:1 compression, aluminum heads, roller stuff, porting.

Tranny: Clean the TH350, fix the leak(s), go with a Transgo shiftkit this time, possibly transplant the 700R4 from the donor FI truck if applicable.

Interior: Leather Bonneville buckets, custom console, digital guages, lots of speakers(gotta blair the Mudvayne), maybe redesign the dash to give it a more modern "wrap around" look.

Body: Shave/smooth firewall, cowl, gas filler hole, driprail, and tailgate. Rip out rotted wood and replace with diamond plate or something smooth and metal, front rollpan to match the rear(maybe..dont know how well I like them yet), Checkerpro hard tonneau, and get rid of all the rust.

Paint: Dark satin black, brushed aluminum, paint all the chrome....NOTHING shiney.

Wheels: Coddington Smoothie II, 17x7/18x15, Im gonna do the skinny/fatty prostreet look.

Chassis: The chassis for the most part is done, already have one-pc. driveshaft, front discs, lowering. What I need to do is go through/rebuild the steering linkage, bushings, or retrofit in a rack system. Plans call for bigger front brakes, rear discs, higher C-notch so the truck can sit level without the rear axle hitting the frame everytime I hot a pebble, 3.73 gear, posi, and maybe...just maybe some air ride.

I plan on it taking about two years, thats with me doing all the work myself. As cheap as I can when ever I can.

So....what do y'all think? Have any other ideas/suggestions you think I should consider?

Thanks,
Mitch-

Last edited by Slammed70; 04-28-2007 at 11:55 PM. Reason: A few spelling errors.
Slammed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:57 AM   #2
Slammed70

Re: Tell me what you think....

One piece windows too....thats a definite!
Old 04-29-2007, 08:54 AM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Glad you are keeping it. Sounds like a pretty decent plan. Younguns tend to put detours in the plan, but just keep at it it'll be ready to cruise in the future. Mine was supposed to be done around a year ago, but it is in the stage of pieces going on instead of off now.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:08 PM   #4
Slammed70

I think Im gonna fix the AC in it first....Im dont plan on parking it for another month or two.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:45 PM   #5
corn

Good luck with BOTH projects. Kids are just as rewarding as a fast truck, but both will be a pain in your butt!
corn is offline   Reply With Quote