The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Engine removal 1st day progress!!

I got an early start this morning. The engine and tranny comeout tomorrow!!
Here is the link to the photos. Dialup beware!

First day progress.

Back to work!!
Old 05-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
junktruck

Re: Engine removal 1st day progress!!

sweet dude. i'm doing the same thing right now. i'll take some pictures of mine tonight, i never even thought about posting progress pics. good luck to you.

later,

junk.
junktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
benoit454
Chris

Nice work, but man you could have pulled it out without taking off the front clip, would have saved you alot of time and trouble IMO. Unless you just needed them off for another reason. I would agree that it leave alot better access to work and clean up/paint everything though. I done a few without pulling the front clip, well I've never pulled the clip to yank out the motor, but I always clean them up and paint too.

Can't wait to see it all apart, cleaned, painted, or whatever, and back together again.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:00 PM   #4
BaddBusa2005

nice man, good luck
Old 05-04-2007, 07:39 AM   #5
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

wish you better luck than I had! mine sucked...cherry picker broke with motor on it lol

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:02 AM   #6
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoit454 View Post
Nice work, but man you could have pulled it out without taking off the front clip, would have saved you alot of time and trouble IMO. Unless you just needed them off for another reason. I would agree that it leave alot better access to work and clean up/paint everything though. I done a few without pulling the front clip, well I've never pulled the clip to yank out the motor, but I always clean them up and paint too.

Can't wait to see it all apart, cleaned, painted, or whatever, and back together again.
I would pull the clip if I were replacing an engine..especially in G's position. He has a nice truck, that more than likely had an ugly engine bay/frame. IMO, why put in a brand new, painted, detailed engine in an engine bay that doesn't look as nice? Spend the time, do it right, and be much happier with the final outcome. I have done this both ways, and painted/detailed both times...you will get much better results if you have access to everything when painting/detailing if everything is out of the way. Plus, as you said, it will provide much better access for removal and installation. Sure, engines are pulled and installed all the time by simply pulling the hood (been there done that), but in reality there are only about 10 bolts holding on the entire front clip...and your back will thank you as you get older.

Last edited by bigblock73; 05-04-2007 at 08:04 AM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Thumbs up Re: Engine removal 1st day progress!!

Lookin good G,

May be you plan on it i dont know but if i were you i'd clean up the fire wall and the wiring harnass so things will look more esteadic.

Keep up the good work.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:06 AM   #8
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Thanks fellas. I do plan to clean up the engine bay. Grease and oil everywhere!! I actually broke the radiator support bolt. They are almost rusted through!!! I'll post pictures of where water collects and make these trucks dangerous. I will be using Zero-rust on all the parts.

The front suspesion parts from Performance arrived yesterday. So did the ceramic headers. The serpentine belt setup will arrive next week.
I'll pictures a the end of the day. I'll probably have time to break out the new pressure washer and start the clean up!!
Old 05-04-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
Ric83

Looking good man. Would love to come give you a hand, but working seven days a week between two jobs, a nine month old and a pregnant wife, time is spread pretty thin.
Ric83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:15 PM   #10
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Take it easy on Low83's twin sister can't wait to see the finished product, G-man is that a 4row Rad?what type fans you running? looking good
John
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #11
benoit454
Chris

I wondered the same thing, but I think it's just a 2 core or 2 row aluminum piece. he has the 4 core copper brass upper rad. mount though it looks like.

I had a radiator that size from summit it was a 2 row alum. and it had welded alum. end tanks, same thickness, but I couldn't use it in my car, had to send it back.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:17 PM   #12
BaddBusa2005

Which radiator is it? I did not know our trucks were avail with an aluminum peice.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:33 PM   #13
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

The wiring under the hood is getting trimmed and cleaned up. The electric fans are being replaced with Spal fans. I need more cooling power!! Spal fans and good reverse flow pump should do the trick. The radiator is a 454 4 core replacement radiator. The core will keep the water temp to any thermostat settings. I installed a 160 thermostat last summer. The radiator had no problem keeping the engine at 160!
Checkout the 2nd day progress pictures. I plan to mock up the engine on Wed. I'm installing new oil seals, new gaskets and RPM air gap intake. A mockup of the RAM air box and serpentine belt system (if it arrives in time) will be bolted on too. I hope to reinstall the engine and tranmission by Saturday. If I can get that far them I'm doing good. The rest will be rebolting and wiring everthing. I can do that a few hours at time since the summer school semester starts next week.