The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2007, 12:31 AM   #1
shifty
Questionable

wiring question: what is it?

quick question - i'm rewiring my whole truck using the SA-1000 harness from Current Performance and a very small group of wires from my factory wiring harness. I will be deleting the factory bulkhead entirely, I think.

SO. Tell me something - there is a silver box attached to the red and green wires in this picture (bottom middle)....what is it?

Most of my wiring dissection is done - I am actually pretty freaking surprised at how simple the wiring in our trucks is!! There are really only ~2 dozen wires total on a basic truck...a dozen and a half inside the cab and a dozen in the engine bay. Wild stuff to think about how little these things required to run
Attached Images

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:33 AM   #2
shifty
Questionable

Re: wiring question: what is it?

Actually - one other question: Does anyone know of an aftermarket flasher receptacle you can buy? I'll need one for my hazards (top right flasher on bulkhead) and my blinkers (top left flasher on bulkhead)

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:54 AM   #3
Blue85
Oilfield Trash

Thats the horn relay, not sure about the flasher receptacle though.
80 GMC K10 High Sierra bone stock
70 Chevelle 350SS long term project
68 GMC 3ton Grain Truck/Garbage wagon
50 Pontiac 2 Door Coupe Project
"I've got a shotgun rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank Jr.
Blue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:01 AM   #4
shifty
Questionable

Interesting. I would have never thought that the horn would have its own relay. wonder why in the hell they'd make the damned thing such a large gauge wire? Stranger still, it's a relay but it's not grounded, and there is no input wire? Odd indeed.

Thanks for the info, I would have absolutely never guessed that's what it was

Old 05-04-2007, 01:12 AM   #5
cstm68

yup horn relay !!
Old 05-04-2007, 01:14 AM   #6
shifty
Questionable

actually, that makes sense. it's grounded through the case, and bolted to the inner firewall to achieve ground. horn cap completes the circuit..but still don't get why the thick ass 12ga wire is used

Old 05-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #7
kbs71
71 rustless in texas

Shifty,
If you look here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...wiring+diagram It's the wiring diagram for our trucks. GM used 12 Gauge Red wire for the power curcuit through out the entire truck. As you can see it has two points where multipul wires connect. So this basically makes it one circuit all with the same amperage running thru it. If they had made one wire a smaller gauge, it could have burnt up.

"No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why"

71 C-10 LWB presently in a perpetual state of disassembly
'96 Toyota (my work car)
'04 Mustang Convertable (wife's car & other money pit)
Latest aquesition and why my trucks still in the garage covered with junk..
2010 Aqua Blue metallic 6 speed Manual LS3 2SS/RS Camaro (I want one of these in my truck

FAQ here

VENDORS here

SUPPORT THE BOARD here

My second favorite SITE
kbs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:18 PM   #8
shifty
Questionable

oh, i have that wiring diagram printed out in full color and hanging in my garage already