The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #1
Roper

speedometer cable?

I just got a new speedometer cable for my 81. Now I always thought that when you get a new cable that you have to pull the inside metal part out of the black plastic sheath in order to lubricate it.
Well on this new geniune GM parts speedo cable, well I couldnt pull it out by hand. Like you can move it in and out a half inch or so but thats it. I even took vise grips and tried to pull it out. Well I didnt try as hard as I could have because I didnt want to screw up the new cable<that cost $80>.
Also on this cable if you look at the ends there is already grease on them. The cable <what I can see> looks like its already lubricated.
What are your thoughts? Should I take vise grips and really come on to it to get it a part to lubricate. See the one end is serated/groved metal and the other end looks plastic. I dont want to screw up the ends.
Or is this a type that comes pre lubed and isnt meant to come a part?
The mechanic at the GM dealership thought that it should just pull out to be lubed. However between you and me those mechanics in town dont seem to know much about anything that isnt a computer.
Any oppinions?
Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

Re: speedometer cable?

it has two clips on the back of the speedometer where the cable attaches... pull those to the side, and the cable slips right off.

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

you should be able to reach it from under the dash and push the tabs.

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Roper

Thanks for the replies but I think we are talking about two different things?
Im not asking about how to install the cable. Haha Not yet anywy But I need to know about if I have to lube the brand new cable before I install it. And if so how do I go about doing it?
Like I bought a can of graphite spray when I bought the new cable because I thought I had to pull the inside part<metal> of the cable out of the hard plastic/rubber sheath and lubricate it.
But like a said before I cant get the cable apart to do this. Its not that I cant get the cable on or off the truck. I havnt even got to this stage yet. Im just trying to get the brand new cable that I just bought lubricated. But maybe they come lubricated from GM? My new cable has grease coming out of both ends and it looks like its already lubed?
Old 05-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srubydo1986 View Post
you should be able to reach it from under the dash and push the tabs.
what he said...sorry I forgot that portion thx sruby!

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

New cables come lubricated. I pulled mine out and added more grease so it would last longer. The speedo is off by a little until it gets hot. Once the grease warms up, the speedo spins properly.

Post a picture of the two ends. The turning cable should just come right out if layed flat and pulled out. Now designs could change too!!
Old 05-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #7
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

well to lub it i did something diferent. My brother owns a honda and there powersteering fluid is clear. My cable was squeeking so i just poured some down the inside of the cable but thats me.

As for yours it sounds prelubed because if it wasnt it could rust so gm mostlickly prelubed theyer cables.

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:27 PM   #8
Roper

Thank You very much for the replies.
When the cable was laid flat the inside came right out. My cable looked like it had lots of grease on it so I installed it as is.
BTW My original problem was my speedometer needle was fluxuating wildly!
My truck had cruise so to eliminate the posiblity of it being the cuise control modual or either of the two speedometer cables I just threw away everything and replaced it with one long speedometer cable.
Anyway the new cable did not really fix the problem. Also my speedomer gauge was clicking. I took an air nozzle and blew out the speedomet gauge. It was really really dirty. This cured the clicking which was caused from dirt and crime binding up the plastic gears for the odometer. Also it looks like those speedometers use a magnet inside. I really cleaned out this part.
Now the speedometer doest click, the odometer works and the needle only jumps a couple of mph instead of ten or twenty mph like before. I guess its normal for these old speedometer needles to move a couple mph back and forth say at speeds over 50 mph on gravel roads?