The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
e rock

HEI or Mallory HyFire?

I'm in the middle of swapping the 350 out of my 71 K20. It was already running HEI, so keeping that setup seems like it would be easiest.

The motor that's going in already has some kind of *bling* Mallory dizzy, Promaster coil, and a separate box that controls variable advance curves or something like that? This is also a 350, but with a decked block and lots of $$ into port-matching and head polishing and balancing and whatnot.

My inclination is to keep it simple with the HEI if the power difference is negligible, but I don't want to waste potential by going cheap... I like the fact that it would still run off-the-shelf parts as well.

Which would you run and why?
e rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:36 PM   #2
Eddie H.

Re: HEI or Mallory HyFire?

I have used both the Mallory Unilite/Hyfire, and the HEI setups. I really couldn't tell any difference. In the future, I will probably just use the HEI. For simplicity, parts availability, and price, they're hard to beat.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:13 AM   #3
e rock

Re: HEI or Mallory HyFire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie H. View Post
I have used both the Mallory Unilite/Hyfire, and the HEI setups. I really couldn't tell any difference. In the future, I will probably just use the HEI. For simplicity, parts availability, and price, they're hard to beat.

Thanks. I think I just needed a voice with experience to confirm what I already suspected. I'm not going to be racing it, so programming advance curves just doesn't sound necessary.
e rock is offline   Reply With Quote