The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2002, 03:09 PM   #1
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
oil sender LEAKING!!!!

ok... now that I have that out of my system...here's my situation...

I have an oil leak in my 86 Burb.... I have replaced these Items..
1. valve cover gaskets
2. oil pressure sender
I had the 700r4 replaced a few weeks back and asked the guy swapping it for me to check the rear main and oil pan while he was in there... he said it was fine... I had already come to this conclusion just wanted reassurance.

Ok this stupid thing( oil sender) appeared to be the culprit after laying under the truck with a flashlight I caught it drip.

Today I replaced it... there are two senders coming out of a y shaped brass fitting. I havent the slightest clue what the other one is for but it's the one that requires a special socket to remove...idiot light maybe? anyway I still have a @#$%^&* leak. The y fitting is loose also...

I am not pleased with the location of this animal... I have a silverado with cruise and 400 other things in the way not to mention the distributor.

now enough history.... I want to relocate this set up... anyone have any pointers on removing the second sender? I can't see how I'm supposed to get the socket in there to remove it. what is it, and is it even necessary? I'll run a frickin mechanical guage and forget about it... if it won't screw something else up in the process.

I live in an emissions testing county where I have to have this thing run on a frickin dyno and sniffer to get an inspection sticker... I don't think she'll pass after dumping half a quart on their garage floor. I'm pretty sure she'll pass the emissions portion... I just really hate leaks

any suggestions or item in question identity will be appreciated...
Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 04:34 PM   #2
68 with 350 TPI

Ok first off I think what you are talking about is the oil pressure sending unit.
Im not sure how your is set up but some of them burbs have a extra line just for a idiot light to come one when the pressure drops below a few lbs of oil pressure. And it may also have the oil pressure guage as well.
That may explain the extra stuff you have back there.

My first question is...
Did you use some luquid tefflon or tefflon tape around the treads?
That really seems to help stop a leak when you put in a new unit.

Here is a way to make it a lot more easy to get to....
With the trucks driveshaft loose on the rear end side, take the trans mount loose and jack the trans up until it just lightly touches the floorpan (or at least comes very close)and that will angle the rear of the engine toward you and away from the firewall where its easy to get to.
No need to take the dist loose or anything else back there.

If I can help anymore feel free to email me at Schulzautomotive@Hotmail.com
Old 09-10-2002, 04:49 PM   #3
Suicide-D

Yes the oil pressure sender is what I'm talking about. I do have a guage and I figured the other one was for an extra light ... I talked to a friend and he said it was my "choke light relay" I don't buy this...I would've punched him in the arm... but I was on the phone... I did use teflon tape on the new unit but that stupid "Y" fitting is loose also, and I can't tighten it unless I remove the other sender. I will try the tranny lift and see if I have more luck.

I am going to run a mechanical setup out of there this time and if the other sending unit is needed... like the stupid dash light stays on bugging me... I'll just put it inline with the mechanical supply line.

Thanks for your help 68 with 350 TPI... I may start emailing you directly with my stupid questions....
Old 09-11-2002, 12:42 PM   #4
Suicide-D

FYI....

it's a "choke heater switch" I'll be a monkey's uncle... I thought my buddy was pulling that "muffler bearing" type thing on me. oh well now that I know what it is I can relocate it to where it is supposed to be... by the oil filter... I wonder why it's not there now? I wonder if someone boogered the block up down there? We'll see... I'll post if I discover anything else...
Old 09-11-2002, 03:02 PM   #5
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

??????
The oil pressure sending unit is located right next to the distributor. Don't use any sealer or tape on it. If you do it won't ground properly giving you false readings. The unti looks like small a toy top. It has a single male spade connection at the top if memory serves.

The sending unit down by the distributor is electrical and has two plugs sticking out of it. If the pressure drops this thing should turn on your oil light, I think, or cut off your engine. I'm just not sure what it really does. .