The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
67pro-street

questions about replacing crankshaft??

i have to replace the crankshaft on my 383 stroker (uses a 400 externally balanced crank) and i was wondering how big of a job this is provided i have all of the tools. I have a pretty good knowledge of motors and have installed/removed the engine from my truck plenty of times. I just wasnt sure if there are some really critical tasks involved in this replacement that i should leave to a professional, or if i could do it myself by just following a chiltons manual or something like that.

thanks

67pro-street
67pro-street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #2
Overkill67

Re: questions about replacing crankshaft??

Chiltons will get you through it just fine. Just remember to mark the main caps and rod caps and make sure you put them back where they came from. Much easier job out of the truck than in obviously. Only other suggestion I can make is to either buy rod bolt covers or do what I do and use some rubber hose to protect the journals from getting scratched/gouged when your putting it back in.
Overkill67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:12 PM   #3
Stroker

I'm assuming you are changing out a stroker crank for another stroker crank? If so it should be fairly straight forward. There could possibly be small variations in the crank counter weight diameters so rotate the crank by hand and be sure everything has plenty of clearance. The only other thing that would concern me is the balance of the rotating assy. I don't know any short cut methods unless you would happen to have the bog weight info if the engine was balance when it was originally stroked.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:21 PM   #4
RocketChevy56
Certified BFH Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill67 View Post
Just remember to mark the main caps and rod caps and make sure you put them back where they came from.......use some rubber hose to protect the journals from getting scratched/gouged when your putting it back in.

I agree with Overkill. I would definitly use the rubber hose method. It has worked great for me on many occasions. I've used them on everything from 3.8 turbo v6's to 468 strokers. Be sure to mark the caps, remember the direction of the caps and the torque pattern and specs. Be sure to use a good torque wrench to ensure accuracy. I recommend a digital, but I understand that those aren't always available. just be careful and take your time. You got any questions, don't be afraid to ask.

-1997 Z/28 - LT1/T-56 - Bolt ons, 9 inch, built trans/clutch and on the bottle
RocketChevy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:37 PM   #5
Billla
Account Suspended

The teardown is no big deal as long as you take your time. The book I like is "How to Rebuild Your Small Block Chevy" from HP Books.

Are you planning to replace the crank without tearing down the engine? Why do you need to replace the crank?

Biggest question is clearances - is the crank you're removing standard sized, and is the new (?) one you're installing also standard size?
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:49 PM   #6
GREASEMONKEY72

with the proper tools and the new crank is the same as your current one then it should a be a breeze so to speak

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:56 PM   #7
jasonsr

I would also suggest you use plenty of pre lube, plasti -gauge the bearings and prime the motor before start up, I took an old distributor, took everything out of it except the shaft, you can slide it into the oil pump shaft, attach a drill to it and it will circulate oil through the engine. I run a dirt modified and I tear down the motor about every 3 weeks. It's not a hard job, like everyone else said, take your time, label everything and you will be fine.