The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2002, 07:20 PM   #1
HotRod929

Brake Warning Light

So when I hit my brakes slowly sometimes my pedal will bottom out and the break warning light will go on. I read that this is because of a pressure loss somewhere. I have looked all over my truck for a leaky wheel cylinder or or anything. Checked the fluid level and that was also good. I have no idea what to do now. Do I need a new Proportioning Valve, master cylinder, or break booster? Please help me guys. THanks

HotRod
Dana 60 w/ 4.10 gears AND Powr-Loc POSI
New Additions:
Summit Headers
135amp alternator
Proform HEI
Edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb
Sunpro Tach
Powr-Loc POSI
Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake
MSD 6A Ignition Box

AIM: HotRod929

Visit My Site: http://1970chevy.netfirms.com/
HotRod929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 08:31 PM   #2
mikeoj

The light comes on because their is air in the system(being thru a break in the system or trapped).Bleed your brakes,starting from the farthest point away(Drivers rear,passengers rear,right front and then left front).
Before you do this,bleed the master cylinder.
Hope this helps.Mike
mikeoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 09:03 PM   #3
Zkast
Account Suspended

When the pressure at the proportioning valve is not equal, it will activate the switch (obviously its more technical but ill leave that in laymans terms). If you have no history of problems you possibly have 2 things going on.

Master Cylinder: When the seals inside the master cylinder bleed off pressure(leaking internaly) you will notice a dropping pedal when the pedal is applied slowly. If you hit the pedal hard, the pedal stays high and tight. If the MC is bad enough it will still drop even when hit hard. When there is pressure bleed off, one of the ports is supplying full pressure while the other is not, this moves the Proportioning valve to the weaker side which causes the switch to turn the light on.

You may also have a external leak coming the rear seal of the mastercylinder which could cause a fading pedal.

SYstem Leak: If you have a leak in the system, your pedal will drop slowly anytime the brakes are applied. When this happens you usually wont be able to hit the pedal hard and obtain a good pedal. Same result, low pressure on one side of the proportioning valve, moving the valve to one side causing the light to come on.

Double check your fluid reservoir, make sure you have a good level. Then check all lines, connections, calipers, wheel cylinders and the rear of the mastercylinder for leaks. If you have no leaks, I recommend replacing the Master Cylinder as that is the most probable cause.

Last edited by Zkast; 09-11-2002 at 09:06 PM.
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 09:35 PM   #4
HotRod929

From what you said Zkast about the master cylinder that is EXACTLY what is happening to me. I think that I am going to get a new master cylinder. What years are interchangeable? Can I use anyone? Thanks

HotRod
New Additions:
Summit Headers
135amp alternator
Proform HEI
Sunpro Tach
Powr-Loc POSI
MSD 6A Ignition Box

Old 09-11-2002, 10:34 PM   #5
Zkast
Account Suspended

Be sure to go over the entire brake system and check for leaks... never hurts to error on the side of caution. I'm not too sure about interchangability but I cant imagine a rebuild master cylinder costing more than 20.00 - 30.00.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:10 PM   #6
palallin

Run, do not walk--and if you drive, drive something ELSE--to get that MC.

Why the urgency? See my "Requiem for a '67 SWB" thread. . . .
Old 09-11-2002, 11:23 PM   #7
cableguy0

theres one place it could be leaking that u cant see and that is into the booster if u have powerbrakes.and once brake fluid gets into a brake booster it will be trash.no question about it.unbold the mc and see if there is flud behind it. if there is i would recommend just getting a booster and mc combo and bolting it on.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 12:12 AM   #8
Low68

Warning lights? Who wants those. My front left hose split in half as I was coming up to a light. It went to the floor and I was like... What the HECK? I pumped them and stopped it and pulled into the parking lot. The light never once turned on. Stupid piece of......nevermind. Low68
Old 09-12-2002, 12:37 AM   #9
barn9
Half a bubble off!

New master cylinder costs under $20.00, a small price to pay to save your truck and possibly your life.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:43 AM   #10
HotRod929

So you dont think that I should drive my tuck till I get it fixed? I dont have another vehicle. It still stops fine most of the time and all I have to do is pump it like once before I get to a light and it works fine.

HotRod
New Additions:
Summit Headers
135amp alternator
Proform HEI
Sunpro Tach
Powr-Loc POSI
MSD 6A Ignition Box

Old 09-12-2002, 02:09 AM   #11
Zkast
Account Suspended

Dont trust it.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:25 AM   #12
JJR

Mine was doing the same as yours. It would stop fine but as I would be at a light the pedal would slowly go down until I pumped it a few times. Until the day I started to go to work and the pedal went to the floor and you could barely pump it up enough to stop. So like the others have said don't risk it and get a new master cylinder. Rebuilt go for under $15 and new for about $50. If the truck is a keeper, I would spend the $50 and get a new one.

Second Owner 70 C-10
Second Owner 93 GMC C1500
Third Owner 99 C2500 Crew Cab Short Bed
JJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 09:06 AM   #13
HotRod929

Thanks guys. I think I am going to get a new MC. Any info on how to put a new MC in? Thanks

HotRod
New Additions:
Summit Headers
135amp alternator
Proform HEI
Sunpro Tach
Powr-Loc POSI
MSD 6A Ignition Box

Old 09-12-2002, 09:38 AM   #14
RodC

Not that hard, just bench bleed it. I bought one from Advance Auto $12.00 and it had all the plugs needed to bench bleed it. And some good instructions if you have not bench bled one before. Then I bled the whole system to change out the fluid.

Just have patients, if you have never bled one of these big MCs it will seem like you will never get all the air out of it. But a good bench bleed will keep the MC from indroducing more air into your system.

Keep everything clean! Dirt and water are brakes/fluids biggest enemy. Don't get fluid on your paint. I always cut out a section of cardboard that will fit around the lines going up to the MC and stuff plenty of rags around.

I like to keep my MC looking stock so I don't paint it. It will come with a coating of oil on it. I maintain that coating of oil because a little bit of brake fluid + water = lots of rust. If you want to paint it, now is the time. Just be sure you get all the oil off and use a good paint. (Im not sure if any can withsand brake fluid)

Brake fluid attracts moisture that is why you must keep a good seal on the top of your MC or you will get about an inch of rust in the bottom in no time.