The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2007, 09:33 PM   #1
jkade

Anyone seen this????

http://www.seattlestreetrods.com/corvette_foe.htm
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
project1971

Re: Anyone seen this????

now that is slick!
2000 Cavalier z24 (gas saver)
project1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:46 PM   #3
GREASEMONKEY72

looks awesome, to much chrome for me but i like the gold rotor

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:48 PM   #4
jkade

I was wondering more about the IFS than the IRS. I know porterbuilt is building a vette kit for the front and is a great looking unit but this is more in my price range. I would like to see one installed though.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:08 PM   #5
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

I like it. Looks like some GR8 looking stuff.

RJ22

SUBSCRIBE HEREBOARD VENDORS HERE

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!
RACINJASON22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
jkade

I talked to the guy about the from c4 IFS and he was a really nice guy and seemed to know his stuff. I think I may give it a try. I found the C4 parts for the swap for $400 bucks so this shouldn't be a real expensive swap or should I say I wont have over $2500 in it.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:17 PM   #8
1LoC10
Insert Title Here

kind of looks like this setup
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tchlink:top:us

1000 pics of 67-72's>> http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...-72/?start=all <<
1LoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:21 PM   #9
jimmydean

I still think this setup looks better:

<edit> It's bolt in without issue for only a little more. I would feel better going with a proven design, but the weld in is kinda cool. Just not as pretty I guess.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210

Last edited by jimmydean; 05-16-2007 at 06:22 PM.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:35 PM   #10
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
I still think this setup looks better:

<edit> It's bolt in without issue for only a little more. I would feel better going with a proven design, but the weld in is kinda cool. Just not as pretty I guess.
I agree but me saving $400 bucks means a lot more.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:01 PM   #11
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

oh i want it..front and rear with a big motor,,oh wait,,outtat my budget, looks cool though, like the last one better though
Old 05-16-2007, 11:20 PM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkade View Post
I agree but me saving $400 bucks means a lot more.
I don't know man..... $400 bucks to be able to bolt your front end together in a day & move on to another part of the project is money well spent toward completion.

I know guys that can build front suspensions on their own & they have used the Dropmember because it saved them valuable time.... which is money.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 05-16-2007 at 11:21 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:28 AM   #13
bayer20

Fast engeneering is strictly coil overs and porterbuild is engineerd for bags that cost $850. I think the Coil Over will give you more road racing capabilitys vs. the Bags are more for show. I like the coil over allot better. Allot less headeach too. I have my truck bagged right now and I totally regreat it. If Im gonna put ten thousand plus $$$ in a truck, I don't want to get cheap $10 trophys at car shows and get freaked out about grime on my neon painted A-arms. I want to drive the the freakin thing and race hondas and stupid Dodge Ram's all day "**** Hemi's" btw. I Didn't want to bag my truck so I can stare at it parked while Its slammed to the ground. I will sell My Air bag system soon if anyone is interested. It is only 2-3mos old and have tons of extra fittings and parts which are expensive.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:31 AM   #14
bayer20

Talking Re: Anyone seen this????

Sorry for the grammar, I didn't spell check my paragraph. It is 2:30am and Im way to tired.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:41 AM   #15
bayer20

I would just like to add that I’m driving my truck 4+ days out of the week and if you drive your truck only occasionally on weekends n stuff, Air Ride is ok for the weekender but not for the warrior.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:19 AM   #16
Luvlegs

hmmmm I was thinking about putting an air system in my 2500 dodge diesel... especially after the wife asked me to do it so she can get in... What size truck you have bayer?

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:23 AM   #17
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I don't know man..... $400 bucks to be able to bolt your front end together in a day & move on to another part of the project is money well spent toward completion.

I know guys that can build front suspensions on their own & they have used the Dropmember because it saved them valuable time.... which is money.
Does porterbuilts correct the wheel from being pushed back in the fender opening when you are aired out? That is what I am looking at, I want to move the member about 1.5" foward so when I lay out my front tires won't be pushed back to the rear and be in the center of the fender opening. I was also thinking about running a set of these also in stead of a bag. I know this won't correct the problem unless I move it foward also but for the $400 saved that will pay for the C4 part of the build.

Name:  ARPstrut_sleevefixed.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  35.6 KB
Old 05-17-2007, 08:26 AM   #18
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayer20 View Post
I would just like to add that I’m driving my truck 4+ days out of the week and if you drive your truck only occasionally on weekends n stuff, Air Ride is ok for the weekender but not for the warrior.
Mine will not be a DD but I want it to perform on the street since I am going to have in the 30K range in it. I don't want it to drive like a old truck with the amount of money I have in it. I figured this is the way to go for handling abilty. How well would it perform with tubular arms vs this setup??
Old 05-17-2007, 09:05 AM   #19
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkade View Post
Does porterbuilts correct the wheel from being pushed back in the fender opening when you are aired out? That is what I am looking at, I want to move the member about 1.5" foward so when I lay out my front tires won't be pushed back to the rear and be in the center of the fender opening. I was also thinking about running a set of these also in stead of a bag. I know this won't correct the problem unless I move it foward also but for the $400 saved that will pay for the C4 part of the build.

Attachment 267799
Yes, the Dropmember shifts the front spindle C/L forward (I believe 1.5").
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 05-17-2007, 09:17 AM   #20
SCOTI

Quote:
Fast engeneering is strictly coil overs and porterbuild is engineerd for bags that cost $850. I think the Coil Over will give you more road racing capabilitys vs. the Bags are more for show. I like the coil over allot better. Allot less headeach too. I have my truck bagged right now and I totally regreat it. If Im gonna put ten thousand plus $$$ in a truck, I don't want to get cheap $10 trophys at car shows and get freaked out about grime on my neon painted A-arms. I want to drive the the freakin thing and race hondas and stupid Dodge Ram's all day "**** Hemi's" btw. I Didn't want to bag my truck so I can stare at it parked while Its slammed to the ground. I will sell My Air bag system soon if anyone is interested. It is only 2-3mos old and have tons of extra fittings and parts which are expensive.
My 68 was bagged in the rear for adjustability when towing..... not winning $10 trophys. It's now getting bags in the front because I like the better ride offered from bags vs. what you get from static dropped steel springs. It was, & will again be a daily driven vehicle.

Porters C4 Dropmember still allows you to use your truck as a truck if you desire.... so you're not limited to show/go only. If you don't like bags, you could prob adapt coil-overs w/o too much issue (if you can install/weld-in a front suspension, you should be able to adapt coil-overs easily).

Either way..... it's still money well spent to install it in a day.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-18-2007, 02:24 AM   #21
bayer20

I hear ya and I agree with you. I just think i will be better of with the coils because I can just get in the truck without waiting for my tank to fill. Im watching c4 front ends for sale and as soon I can secure me a deal I will remove the bags.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:36 AM   #22
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Seattle Street Rods is only about 5 miles from me...I should go check them out.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:44 AM   #23
Rokcrln

Just my .02 for what its worth is if you feel that a bagged set up is not working properly or gives a bad ride and handling then chances are it was not a good kit if a kit at all. I here so many people buying this cheap part from here and that one from their and then they complain about it not working very well. I have had one of my 71's bagged for over 8yrs now and it was a DD before I tore it down for a rebuild and it out handled mose other vehicals on the street. It is an Air Ride kit with the proper sway bars, shocks and bags for one heck of a great set up.

C4~ I have been looking into this as well and I spoke to the guy selling the weld in kit as well. Very nice guy and I feel he is very knoledgable in what he does. What I did not care for about his kit is for a heavy truck I feel his kit is a but under designed if you plan on throwing your truck around on the street. I did not feel their was adiquite braces for the size of our trucks. Now Iwill be using one of his on my 51 F1 but that thruck is half the weight and I wil be adding some extra on my own. Also I recomend the weld in kit be done by a frame shop since their is alot of room for it to move, tweak from heat as welding or just not be alligned quite right and you only get one shot. Now with the Dropmember I feel it is over built, bolt in, their are a few changes that have been made to the cast and camber points to make up for the added weight of our trucks plus the engine mounts are all their and it will accept both coil overs and bags. Now if you are doing it just for the BLING then go for the cheap version but if you want it to handle better than what your truck does now spend the extra $400!

Now when you are talking about spending 30k on a build I want the best and if an extra $400 is going to get me that than I will spend it and be happy doing it. Also I am one of those guys that hand builds custom suspention for street and off road cars but for what you get in quality, ease and out right enginering I would not waist my time designing a system when the dropmember has it already done.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:04 AM   #24
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Just my .02 for what its worth is if you feel that a bagged set up is not working properly or gives a bad ride and handling then chances are it was not a good kit if a kit at all. I here so many people buying this cheap part from here and that one from their and then they complain about it not working very well. I have had one of my 71's bagged for over 8yrs now and it was a DD before I tore it down for a rebuild and it out handled mose other vehicals on the street. It is an Air Ride kit with the proper sway bars, shocks and bags for one heck of a great set up.

C4~ I have been looking into this as well and I spoke to the guy selling the weld in kit as well. Very nice guy and I feel he is very knoledgable in what he does. What I did not care for about his kit is for a heavy truck I feel his kit is a but under designed if you plan on throwing your truck around on the street. I did not feel their was adiquite braces for the size of our trucks. Now Iwill be using one of his on my 51 F1 but that thruck is half the weight and I wil be adding some extra on my own. Also I recomend the weld in kit be done by a frame shop since their is alot of room for it to move, tweak from heat as welding or just not be alligned quite right and you only get one shot. Now with the Dropmember I feel it is over built, bolt in, their are a few changes that have been made to the cast and camber points to make up for the added weight of our trucks plus the engine mounts are all their and it will accept both coil overs and bags. Now if you are doing it just for the BLING then go for the cheap version but if you want it to handle better than what your truck does now spend the extra $400!

Now when you are talking about spending 30k on a build I want the best and if an extra $400 is going to get me that than I will spend it and be happy doing it. Also I am one of those guys that hand builds custom suspention for street and off road cars but for what you get in quality, ease and out right enginering I would not waist my time designing a system when the dropmember has it already done.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Since on the subject of being heavy. The C4 stuff that bolts on is not designed for the weight of one of our trucks either and if you are in my position and already have a set of wheels the cost will be up there for me. I think I have made up my mind just to section my crossmember and go with some tubular arms and mount a rack. I cannot justify spending $2000 to $3000 on the front suspension. I will just move my crossmember foward and spend the money saved on my motor. I would rather have a supercharger than spend it on the suspension upgrade when the section and tubular will do what I want it to do. Thanks for the advice and I can alwalys get you guys to make up my mind, I love this site.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:43 PM   #25
SCOTI

Quote:
I hear ya and I agree with you. I just think i will be better of with the coils because I can just get in the truck without waiting for my tank to fill. Im watching c4 front ends for sale and as soon I can secure me a deal I will remove the bags.
Nothing wrong w/coils in my book.

FWIW, there's no waiting period unless you dump the air out of the bags everytime you park the vehicle. I rarely adjust mine unless I'm pulling my loaded trailer. Post up pics when you go C4.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 05-18-2007 at 05:43 PM.