The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
bad_turbo
turbo enthusiast

Question another wheel question on a C30

Picked up a '69 C30 motorhome with the stock 16'' split rims. The tires are bad but I have some good 16'' tires on wheels off of a late '80s Furd motorhome. I know you guys say to junk the split rims, but will the Furd wheels fit on my all drum '69 C30? I don't have the money for new wheels.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: another wheel question on a C30

the problem with this, is they will be putting all the weight on the lugs... and not on the hub. This often leads to broken studs and worst case scenereo... wheels coming off.
Now, this doesn't matter NEARLY as much in a 1/2 ton that never gets worked... but a motor home is loaded down pretty good already, so it matters.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
bad_turbo
turbo enthusiast

so I can't use the furd rims and nobody will touch the split rims, what wheels do I need to get? Preferably used but I want to be safe. Mid 70's chevy duallies, maybe? Just figured the disc brake front end on them might require a different wheel then what I need. Or just take the whole front cross member off a mid 70's dually, then I'll have the disc brakes for my motorhome and the wheels I need! Yah, wish I had that kind of money.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I'm 99% positive that any GM daulie wheel will slip right on. The studs are bigger on the 71 and later ones, but the taper is the same and I've never had an issue with that. (both my old longhorn, and current longhorn had later wheels with the 9/16 lug hole instead of the 1/2 inch hole like the 70 and older are supposed to have)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #5
old Chevy guy

My 72 c20 has dual wheels on the back with 9/16 studs and the wheels are 16'' tubeless that I ran on my 87 G 30 box truck and are the same as the wheels on my newer 2001 3500 box truck. hope that helps!
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote