The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

who sells -7" rear springs

I have read mention of 7" drop coil springs for the rear but I can find which vender has them. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

"A fear of the Sawsall is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ~Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
BigTruckDriver

Re: who sells -7" rear springs

Thats a little extreme IMO. Can you get most of the drop with springs and the get some more with blocks?
BigTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTruckDriver View Post
Thats a little extreme IMO. Can you get most of the drop with springs and the get some more with blocks?
It is, but I have a c-notch and already have -5" springs and 2 inch blocks. At seven inches I sill have too much rake with the tall MT tires I want to run. I don’t want to run bags because of the additional compressor and other accessories I would have to add.

"A fear of the Sawsall is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ~Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
Old 05-19-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
BigTruckDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post
It is, but I have a c-notch and already have -5" springs and 2 inch blocks. At seven inches I sill have too much rake with the tall MT tires I want to run. I don’t want to run bags because of the additional compressor and other accessories I would have to add.
Could you go to a bigger block, maybe 3 "? 7" drop is asking a lot from a spring If you happen to go to a bigger block be sure nothing (trailing arms,etc) go below the lower edge of the rim.

How tall is the MT? How low are you in the front? What year is the truck?

You could run bags with out all the accessories. Keep a portable air tank close by at all times though. Are you running the truck on the drag strip?

Last edited by BigTruckDriver; 05-19-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:38 PM   #5
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

Truck is a 71 . I dont want to go 3 inches on the block, the u-bolt nuts are already below the 15" rim. The tires are 30" tall from what I can remember.

I can’t remember how low I'm in front but I don’t think I can run a taller tire to level it out some.

The rear tires I tried are not mine so I can always purchase a shorter tire for the rear. I just thought I read somewhere they make a 7" spring.

The truck will never haul anything and it will unlikely see weekly use.

I wonder if I can run bags without the unboard compressor since I wont have a neeed to lower and raise it on the fly.

Last edited by jamis; 05-19-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
BigTruckDriver

Quote:
Truck is a 71 . I dont want to go 3 inches on the block, the u-bolt nuts are already below the 15" rim. The tires are 30" tall from what I can remember.

I can’t remember how low I'm in front but I don’t think I can run a taller tire to level it out some.

The rear tires I tried are not mine so I can always purchase a shorter tire for the rear. I just thought I read somewhere they make a 7" spring.

The truck will never haul anything and it will unlikely see weekly use.

I wonder if I can run bags without the unboard compressor since I wont have a neeed to lower and raise it on the fly.
I am sure a 7" spring can be found but IMO your ride quality will suffer. Could possibley even get some serious wheel hop. Unless you need the 30" for gearing on the drag strip (OR RULES) you could go to a smaller tire. Whats the diameter of your front tires?

Last edited by BigTruckDriver; 05-19-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #7
royo

all i could find was 6 in spring an 1.5 block or 2 in bl ece or gmc pauls
Old 05-19-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

I Think the fronts are 28 high, 3 inch springs and 2.5 spindles.

Why would a 7" spring ride any different from a 5" spring as long as it didn’t hit the bump stop or coil bind like from the guys that heat and collapse the springs? I think the springs are just made shorter not weaker.

I'm no suspension expert....any input is appreciated

I dont have a need to run that tall of a tire, I just like the way the big tire fills up the wheel well, kinda like Rosie O in spandex If I could I would even go up to a 32" tall a tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by royo View Post
all i could find was 6 in spring an 1.5 block or 2 in bl ece or gmc pauls
thanks for looking, that’s all could find as well

Last edited by jamis; 05-19-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:25 PM   #9
SCOTI

Run the bags.

Two Firestone 2500# dbl. convoluted bags w/about 10ft total of DOT 1/4" airline & 2x schrader fittings would be around $200 depending on the source.

Air them up to the ride height you want & enjoy the ride. Occasionally you'll have to put some air in (just like a tire occasionally requires air), but for the most part.... it's set 'em & forget 'em. Like BTD suggested, it's always wise to keep an emegency air source if possible.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 05-19-2007 at 06:27 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:56 PM   #10
BigTruckDriver

Quote:
I Think the fronts are 28 high, 3 inch springs and 2.5 spindles.

Why would a 7" spring ride any different from a 5" spring as long as it didn’t hit the bump stop or coil bind like from the guys that heat and collapse the springs? I think the springs are just made shorter not weaker.

I'm no suspension expert....any input is appreciated

I dont have a need to run that tall of a tire, I just like the way the big tire fills up the wheel well, kinda like Rosie O in spandex If I could I would even go up to a 32" tall a tire

thanks for looking, that’s all could find as well
I am know suspension expert myself but remember reading some where that a 6" spring is pushing it. For a 6" drop its best to go with a 4" spring and a 2 " block ,for best ride quality. It not a necessary to go that route but you get a spring with enough space to work better. To use a 7" drop spring there just is not enough room for the spring to work the way it supposed to.