The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
shlickster

Unhappy HELP! Do I Sell IT?!

I need some advice from a bunch of "truck-fixer-upper" professionals.....like yourselves. I have torn my '67 GMC 1/2 ton long box down to the frame....and a million pieces. Now, what is a ballpark figure on restoring this beast? I am at the point now that I am not sure if I should sell the darn thing before it breaks me or should I keep it. I was tossing around the idea of doing it up stock....the way my dad bought it in 1967. Kind of a memorial thing. I dunno what to do...ripping it apart was the cheap step!
Old 05-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
1969k10stepside

Re: HELP! Do I Sell IT?!

The cost of restoring it depends on what condition it was in when you got it.A rust free truck won't cost nearly as much as a rusted out one because you don't have to spend a bunch of money on new body panels,pay someone to do the body work if you can't,etc.I have $5000 in mine,it doesn't even run yet.It has been a complete ground up restoration so far and I have replaced the complete body for a body in better shape.Eventually it will be done,but that's several thousands of dollars away.

Last edited by 1969k10stepside; 05-20-2007 at 12:54 PM.
1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
eedgell
It's the air up here

Unless the whole thing is trashed, fix it up. After all it is a 67!!! Any pics? These trucks are old and they have problems, but we fix them and go on. Dont lose the spirit of the 67-72 experience. They cost money to fix, sometimes too much, but there isnt anything else like em!!!! I say get-r-done.

Never drink down stream of the herd!

Eric
eedgell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
WorkinLonghorn

Would be nice to have some pics,but I say fix it up.When you get done you will have a fine memorial to your dad. If you sell,you may forever be kicking yourself. When you get done you will have a reliable and really great truck and every month you WON'T have to make a car payment. You will have a truck that is different,totally "cool",and if something does go wrong,it is nearly always very easy to fix.Personally,I would say it's a "slam-dunk". Fix 'er up!!!
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
heavy71chevy

I say fix it..the statement "they dont make em like they used to" is very true...cause these trucks lasted this long theyll last forever as ;long as they taking care of..not like these new plastic pos cars..but in my head i say stay with it and fix it up..its a very rewarding to drive a labor of love...very personal experience..good luck
heavy71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
eedgell
It's the air up here

You fix that 67 up and then park it next to anything new in the parking lot, the 67 will always get the first look, go man, go!!!!!!!!

Never drink down stream of the herd!

Eric
eedgell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
shlickster

You guys are motivating me!
BUT....how dorky is fixing it up to factory specs....complete with drums all around. I am talking new rims and exhaust but bone stock other than that.
Here are all the pics I have. It is now down to the frame sitting on the floor of the shop.
Any feelings on the Barebones Stock option?
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
Pyrotechnic

Nothing wrong with going stock. Infact, that will be cheaper. Nothing wrong with the drum brakes as long as you leave the stock motor under the hood or use a stock replacement.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #9
corn

Not to sound like a dick, but that was a decision that should have really been made before the impact wrench came out. That truck looked like it was in pretty nice shape before. Maybe you should have just tuned it up good & did the exhaust/wheel deal then. I think there would be huge satisfaction in having that truck all fixed up & be able to say that YOU did it yourself. Now, get out there & get to work Mister, I think you already made up your mind!

You really think we would tell you to give up on it? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:11 PM   #10
heavy71chevy

yea that truck looks to be a prime canidate to fix up..click the link in my signature to my myspace.. and look at page two of my pics..thats what im working with and yours make me envy the condition..mine is mostly rust and bondo..yours deserves to be saved!!! so save it!!
heavy71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:54 PM   #11
bad_turbo
turbo enthusiast

if there were any members near by, they could come over on the weekend and bring the beer and BBQ and help you turn a few wrenches on that thing to help motivate you along. MMMMM BBQ!!
Old 05-20-2007, 05:07 PM   #12
shlickster

[QUOTE=corn;2182853]Not to sound like a dick, but that was a decision that should have really been made before the impact wrench came out.

In response to this remark.....when I started on the truck, I wanted to do it right, not just pice it together. So , I decided to do a frame-off, then I'd know what I had. Now, maybe I just have cruddy luck, but my wife no longer has a job, so there is less money now to fix up the truck. AND, it is sitting in a buddy's shop cuz I don't have one of my own; he ain't gonna want it there forever. This is what got me thinking!
Old 05-20-2007, 05:09 PM   #13
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

As far as fixing it stock goes,"It's your truck build it like you want it!"
Cost is a factor only in that it affects time.Fix what you can as you can and keep after it.You can have it back like new for less than a new one.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:29 PM   #14
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

"Basicly-Stock" is not a bad thing.

Mine is about as plain-vanilla as it gets, and everywhere I park it, it always ends up with somebody wanting to buy it, talk about how cool it is, telling me they, their dad, grandad, whatever "had one just like it," and mine STILL needs a ton of stuff done to it, & lotsa $$$ spent on it.

If yours is a "family" piece ---- no question: FIX IT & DRIVE IT !!!!!!!!

If your friend pressures you for his shop space bad, move it, tarp it, & work on it when you can.

Once it's gone, you'll be kicking yourself forever about selling it.
Attached Images

68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:08 PM   #15
msgross

It's easy to lose motivation once it's apart... take a week away from it (totally) look at some pics on this website.. (see event coverage thread) and find "your" desires for it. Start collecting parts and do 1 item to the end... Don't start on 10 items (engine, suspension, interior, body etc..) because you will lose the motivation again. I finally decided that my body isn't getting done this year. That means no more buying trim, lights, & other items that aren't needed right now. If the frame is rust free then power wash it, paint that sucker and move on!

Click on my signature for some of my pics.... I just painted my axles today and hope to have a rolling chasis by next week... I'm 5-6K into the project and that's with no paint or engine work! Good luck and go for stock if that's what you like...
I hate to say it but yours looks EASY and doable... compared to my money pit at least!
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"

Last edited by msgross; 05-20-2007 at 06:08 PM.
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:37 PM   #16
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i usually hang out in the 73-87 side and i decided to take a step over here . Your truck is in great shape fix er up you wont regret it and i would agree rims tires exhaust maybe some accessories on the motor to make it look pretty and thats fine you dont have to go crazy customizing unless you wanna. That truck will look fantastic basically stock and youve got a great start there it looks like

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:46 PM   #17
cdowns

fix it, it looks to be in pretty decent shape . you should be able to complete it for $25-$30thousand for a ground up
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:14 PM   #18
krue
Designated A-hole!

Fix it up! Personally I would put it back to driving condition and do one step at a time, that way you can drive it and enjoy it, 'cuz having a truck is a lot better than having a project if you don't have the money to do it all at once.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:42 PM   #19
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
fix it, it looks to be in pretty decent shape . you should be able to complete it for $25-$30thousand for a ground up
You got to watch cdowns, he very quiet and to the point- and usually right!
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote