The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2007, 11:08 PM   #1
grady5

help with frame

i need help. i am starting to build my wn frame for my 1970 c10. my question is how do i figure how much to raise the frame in the front. should i follow the original? i want a 4.5" ride hieght my tires are 27"tall i am using 2x3x1/8 tubing and plan on building my own tube control arms. i dont want to buy drop spindles if i can help it. thanks for any help.
grady5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:05 AM   #2
scoot

Re: help with frame

a little more information would help it will depend on the crossmember you are going to use. stock, mustang II, or scratch built? if you mach up your front cross member for optimum suspension travel you can get a measurement to the crossmember mounting points then minus the 4.5 ride height. that will give you the dimension the crossmember needs to be above the bottom of main frame rails. the kick ups that attach to the cross member can be moved up or down depending on where you want it and how you are going to mount your upper control arm. hope it makes sense
i would also recommend using 2x4x1/8 unless you are going to cage it
scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
grady5

Re: help with frame

thanks for the info scoot. i will probably build the crossmember if i can get the measurements right.i dont know anything about suspension setups and the geometry involved. does the lower arm need to be level to the ground at ride hieght and how high does the cross member need to be off the ground? and does the frame need to narrow in like the original? sorry about all the questions but i really want to learn. i had a friend that was going to help but he got locked up and may be gone for a while. as for the 2x3 tubing i think i will use 2x4. i have had a few people tell me the same thing. the reason i was using 2x3 is my friend used it but it was a race car and had a cage. thanks for the help. also should the control arm shafts have the same centers as the original?

Last edited by grady5; 05-25-2007 at 06:20 AM.
grady5 is offline   Reply With Quote