The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
Sully Erna

Rotates but not starting

my 85 w/ a 305 rotates but does not start up. I took it to chevy and they said I needed a new carb. They wanted $50 installed so I told them I could get it cheaper somewhere else. So I had two carbs rebuilt and I still have the same problem. I decided to check the timing belt and it was about to come of the crank gear. I replaced the timing set and went by the haynes manual for getting tdc. Turn crankshaft until the balancer line is at 0. Look at the rotor and make sure it is pointing to plug #1. Everything looked in time to me. Well I get everything done and all the accessories back on and I tried to crank it up and I still have the same problem. It shoots fire back up through the carb.

It has to be some kind of timing issue but where should I go from here?
Sully Erna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
Sully Erna

Re: Rotates but not starting

EDIT: chevy wanted 550
Old 05-26-2007, 08:48 PM   #3
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

how does it rotate? look at yer fan while trying to start up the engine, if it turns then stops then turns again as you have the key in the "start" position yer engine is actually trying to run, but the distributor is off so the cylinders fire at the wrong time - chances are with at least one of the cylinders that happens while the intake valve is open, hence yer backfire through the carb.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:07 PM   #4
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully Erna View Post
my 85 w/ a 305 rotates but does not start up. I took it to chevy and they said I needed a new carb. They wanted $50 installed so I told them I could get it cheaper somewhere else. So I had two carbs rebuilt and I still have the same problem. I decided to check the timing belt and it was about to come of the crank gear. I replaced the timing set and went by the haynes manual for getting tdc. Turn crankshaft until the balancer line is at 0. Look at the rotor and make sure it is pointing to plug #1. Everything looked in time to me. Well I get everything done and all the accessories back on and I tried to crank it up and I still have the same problem. It shoots fire back up through the carb.

It has to be some kind of timing issue but where should I go from here?
from experience: Don't trust the balancer for knowing where #1's TDC is. My truck has a balancer from a newer block so the TDC mark is about 60 degrees off...We checked it using a small screwdriver and a flywheel turner and painted a yellow line across the balancer with model paint to mark true TDC.
magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:11 PM   #5
bigblock79
67 Chevy Stepside

you might be a 180 out.
1976 BIG DOOLEY 454 turbo 400 4:11
bigblock79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

its your firing order... has to do with your distributor brudda.
here:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...or_a_Chevy_350

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:47 PM   #7
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

sound like it still 180 degrees off. done it many of times just a thought not an insault.

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one

Last edited by Srubydo1986; 05-27-2007 at 02:47 PM.
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #8
Ivan D.

also a Chevy dizzy rotates clockwise, unlike a Ford one - seen people get them messed up, both, it's pretty amusing really (no pun intended)
Old 05-28-2007, 12:16 AM   #9
Sully Erna

Will a distributor from a 76 350 work? I have a 4 wire hookup that goes into the cab of the truck and the standard BAT and and coil hookup. I have heard that this year dizzy will work but how if the 4 wire hookup is unplugged.
It is a 85 305 H w/ fed. emmissions btw. thanks
Old 05-28-2007, 03:51 AM   #10
Ivan D.

85, ain't that the computer controlled carb and dizzy? Computer controlled distributors don't have vacuum advance, while the '76 dizzy will have it, and you can run it like most of us run our trucks - problem will be the computer expects some signal from the dizzy, and with the '76 dizzy that just ain't happening. Dunno how the ECM logic is set up, but I'd assume it'll freak out when it don't "see" the dizzy and it'll make the carb act all funky.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:38 AM   #11
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan D. View Post
85, ain't that the computer controlled carb and dizzy? Computer controlled distributors don't have vacuum advance, while the '76 dizzy will have it, and you can run it like most of us run our trucks - problem will be the computer expects some signal from the dizzy, and with the '76 dizzy that just ain't happening. Dunno how the ECM logic is set up, but I'd assume it'll freak out when it don't "see" the dizzy and it'll make the carb act all funky.
In which case you say, goodbye computer.
magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote