The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
truckster

Seat Idea

I have a friend who threw a rod in his 87 Suburban, so he's offered me any parts I want. I need seats for my 72 Blazer. Has anyone used the rear seat (not the third seat) as a front seat for a Blazer? I know the pass side tilts forward, and the bench would give me another seat to use (I have lots of children). Thanks for your input.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:09 AM   #2
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Re: Seat Idea

The best that I can remember, the 2nd row of seats in that year model is actually split, 80/20 more or less. You could most likely find some way to mount them, but there would be ALOT of fabrication to deal with on the mounts. I think those seat bottoms fold forward, then the back folds down to make the rear floor extend all the way to back of the front seats. That is unless he has some rear captains seats or something in his 87. My opinion is to keep shopping around for something else.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
vtblazer

Not sure if you'll run into it but when I tried to use a 2nd row seat from a Tahoe (92) the high hump tranny cover caused alot of mounting issues.

To the point of giving up on the idea.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
truckster

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll take the third seat and fab it up for my rear seat, which is missing.

A guy I know put a 60/40 split bench from a 2000 Dodge extended cab in his 71 and it seems to work pretty well. It has the shoulder belts mounted to the seat. The only problem is that he can't remember the vendor- it was one of those custom upholstery places that has NTO seats.

I'll keep looking...
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:41 AM   #5
vtblazer

If your able to fab up a 'side to side' mount set up I think you could pull if off.

Something like what's in this pic but without the roll cage being involved.

Using seats with integral shoulder belts will make the install somewhat more complicated only due to the extra structure needed to create a 'safe' system.
Attached Images

vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote