The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2007, 06:51 PM   #1
71chevylowrider

I think I need a new bumper

and maybe some other hidden damage repaired too, I was sitting at a light today & all the sudden a car behind me slammed into me, I never saw it coming, both other parties were hurt & had to be taken to the hospital, (Back & Neck injuries). I was upset that i got hit, I jumped out of the truck & went back & when I heard the lady behind me crying, & she said, I'm sorry, he hit me & pushed me into you! I instantly felt bad for her, she was hurt & was upset & crying, I didn't care about the truck anymore, she tried to get out of her car & with a calm voice I told her she should try to stay still in her seat & rest her head against the headrest & try not to move it around much until the paramedics can asses how badly your hurt. I then checked on the guy in the van behind her that blasted hre into me, he was in better shape but was hurt also, man, you never know when something like this can happen, I was just sitting there on my way to portland to buy a bench seat from a board member (GMCJIM) I wasn't looking in my rearview mirror so I never saw it coming, my elbow hurts, my back's a little stiff, and my truck is built like a brick wall. Luckily everyone will eventually be okay, & thank god the guy in the van has insurance!
Everyone be safe out there!
Attached Images

Last edited by 71chevylowrider; 06-02-2007 at 06:52 PM.
71chevylowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: I think I need a new bumper

Ouch! Glad you (& your truck) and the other folks aren't badly hurt. You just never know...

Reminds me of the time a lady drove into the back of my truck while I was stopped (behind another stopped vehicle). Nobody hurt (and very minor damage to my truck), but the front of her little Toyota was a mess.

edit: just bumper damage? or is the tailgate a bit bent on the left side?

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay

Last edited by Stocker; 06-02-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
71chevylowrider

Thanks stocker, I am very thankful, it could have been alot worse, & I am feeling more stiffness & pain in my back & shoulder now, I guss I will be going to the doctor to get checked out. I think what you are seeing is reflection in the tailgate, but the painted metal piece below the tailgate is all punched in. I'm concerned about the fact that the bed of the truck is a little closer to the back of the cab on one side then it is on the other, also the majority of the impact was in my license plate & I have a hidden hitch that is welded to the frame & it looks to me like the hitch receiver bar, (where the draw bar goes into it, is now angled downward towards the ground, I worry that if that got bent & it's welded to my frame, & the bed is moved closer to the cab, oh, oh, more damage then I first thought.

Not alot of damage to the front of her car, I think she was probably stopped pretty close to my rear & then he slammed into her at full force, I talked to him briefly & he said he was coming off of the freeway & hit the brakes & nothing happened, so he her really hard, and my truck just made both vehicles stop instantly!

Last edited by 71chevylowrider; 06-02-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
bowtieride

I feel bad for the bumper, lol. Glad to hear your ok.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
71chevylowrider

Thanks bowtie.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
cdowns

i bet your glad you didnt put a rollpan on ythe truck

i'd imagine to brackets got damaged too// good luck with the insurance if you know somebody with a body shop have him handle the adjuster you'll end up with some extra money out of it to cover your aggravation
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
Kurt L

had that happen to me also,sitting at a red lite this chick [drunk]slams into me bout 40 mph.slammed my head against the back window[headache for three days].tore the back bumper off of my 69 that i had at the time.lost three days work, she had no insurance.had to fix my truck myself.
Kurt L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:49 PM   #8
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chevylowrider View Post
I'm concerned about the fact that the bed of the truck is a little closer to the back of the cab on one side then it is on the other
The bed mounting could be tweaked a bit. Might need to loosen the bed-to-frame bolts, then pull back on the side that's closest to the cab. Hopefully it's not worse than than, you sure don't need a bent frame.

Good idea to see the doc. All spinal injuries should be checked to make sure it's not something serious that could cause problems later. Good luck.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 06-02-2007, 09:45 PM   #9
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I got smacked about 2 months ago. Glad everyone is OK! It bent my exhaust too. We were both fine. I was sore for about 3 days after. My aftermarket 3 point seatbelts worked great.
Attached Images

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 06-02-2007 at 09:46 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:01 PM   #10
71chevylowrider

Geez, Redneck what ran into you? a bicycle? That bumper is hardly bent, man that really shows how solid these trucks are huh? Glad you guys are okay & only a little sore, bad things can happend anytime anywhere.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:04 PM   #11
billy wachter

Glad to see everyone is ok!
Old 06-02-2007, 11:06 PM   #12
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Glad your ok, your truck is one my favorites on here!

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:17 AM   #13
sjarrett71

I am a police officer and i worked a wreck today where a drunk driver was speeding and crossed the center line and slammed into a young man and his mom. Everyone had to be cut out of their vehicles and flown to major hospitals. The drunk driver was a local pot head and isn't expected to live. The innocent people should make a full recovery. He hit them around a curve and I suspect they never seen it coming. He was in a Grand Am and they were in a 78 Chevy Impala. He hit them so hard the frame in the Impala was V shaped. Both vehicles had child safety seats in them but luckily they were all empty.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:42 AM   #14
mvfd70

"she tried to get out of her car & with a calm voice I told her she should try to stay still in her seat & rest her head against the headrest & try not to move it around much until the paramedics can asses how badly your hurt"

That was a smart move on your part. People don't think about stuff like that. I'm a firefighter/paramedic and I see people all the time that try to get up and walk around with back and neck pain. They need to stay put and not move until we move them. We're trained how to get people out of situations and not further injure them in the process.

I'm glad to hear that everyone is going to be ok. I know these trucks are built like tanks and what looks like minor damage can actually cause some pretty serious injuries. Newer vehicles look a whole lot worse in an accident but they're designed that way so they absorb the impact and not your body.

Cudos to sjarrett71 for your work as a police officer too. I know what you've been through. I've been the one cutting innocent people out of cars when a drunken idiot slams into them head on. I wish people would use that 3lb mass of tissue located about 6 inches above their shoulders and consider the consequences of their actions.
mvfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:48 AM   #15
TonyJohnson

I was sitting at a light in my 'vette the other day and luckily noticed the gal coming up behind we was going too fast to stop in time. The road was clear, so I was able to get moving in time. If I hadn't glanced in the mirror, she would have blasted me... Sorry about the truck. Hope it's just the bumper.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:43 AM   #16
71chevylowrider

I wanted to say thank yu to everyone who has replied, I really appreciate your kind words & Your own experiences, it is also cool to hear from an officer & a paramedic on this subject, it sure brings home how minor this was & how bad it could have been, thank you guys for what you do, Please know that we sure appreciate people like yourselves doing that kind of work. I also wanted to ad that the lady behind me that was hurt so bad that the paramedics put a neck brace on her & straped her to a board & held the neck brace in position so her head could not move in transport to the hospital called & left me a message last night & was wanting to know if I was okay, I thought wow, how can she be worried about me? Shouldn't she be in a hospital somewhere with a dripper of pain medicine going into her arm? My wife is concerened about me calling her back & us discussing the accident/injuries ect. cause as it turns out, we both have the same insurance company, but I want to call her, I think it would be rude not to return the call, anyone have any thoughts on this or any experience involving being in an accident with someon who has the same insurance company as you?
Old 06-03-2007, 12:16 PM   #17
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Tough call... I have no experience in that area, but I understand your wife's concerns. Given that you both have the same insurance, and that neither of you could possibly have nay fault in the accident -- I'd be strongly tempted to return her call. Just keep it more along the lines of "I hope you are doing better" and avoid details of blame etc.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 06-03-2007, 12:33 PM   #18
watahyahknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71chevylowrider View Post
Not alot of damage to the front of her car, I think she was probably stopped pretty close to my rear & then he slammed into her at full force, I talked to him briefly & he said he was coming off of the freeway & hit the brakes & nothing happened, so he hit her really hard, and my truck just made both vehicles stop instantly!
glad everyone got out ok enough and damage was only to material i hope you be able to get the bed aligned again or it will be a costly repair for the guy hitting you ,

get up on his bench again GET YOURE BRAKES CHECKED REGULAIRY AND THELL OTHERS TO DO SO TOO the fact that there working doesnt allways mean there ok

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #19
71chevylowrider

Thanks guys, I think I will call her & like you said stocker, try to just keep it simple & not discuss injuries/no injuries, prior accidents with injuries ect. I just want this to go smoothly, I know insurance companies are good at going after other insurance companies, but it both of us have the same, who do they go after? Or for that matter is only the guy in the van at fault? Or do they lay partial blame of you just for being there? I also might have forgot to mention the guy in the van had a wheelchair & wheelchair lifting mechanism mounted in the back of his van, so I don't know if he had any special controls for applying his brakes that might have failed or what.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:11 PM   #20
watahyahknow

usually those type of wheelchairbusses have a stronger booster and a brakerod near the steeringwheel going to the footbrakepedal , there build pretty strong .
for who's to blame........ the girl slammed intoo you so she should pay youre damage (has something to do with not keeping her distance even if it isnt her fault ) and her insurance should claim youre and her damage at the busdrivers insurance since he was pushing her into the back of youre truck , his claim that his brakes where out put him even more at fault , he cant say he only hit her after she hit you

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:26 PM   #21
71chevylowrider

Thanks, I just wish she had a different insurance company then I do, I'm very happy that a nice lady stopped & gave me her phone number & said she saw the whole thing, sometimes days/weeks after the accident, it's amazing how stories change when they start realizing the Consequences, & with an eye witness hopefully that won't happen.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #22
dubs68SWB

How odd is that.....it's the WA driver that got hit and you guys are normally the ones causing the accidents!!!! Good ole OR driver caught in the middle of a WA and ID battle. Sorry, just had to take the cheap shot when I saw the plates. 2 days before my wedding, I was the center guy of a 3 car whammy. I was in my '68 GMC 3/4 ton. I Dodge hit me and pushed me into a Ford F250. It was hillarious because the front of the dodge and the rear of the ford were wiped out, but my tank suffered only minimal damage. What most important is that the people are only shook up and not seriously hurt. My wife has life-long migraines due to an accident 3 years ago. It sucks.
caps

Sick horsepower and torque
dubs68SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #23
71chevylowrider

oh Dubs, that is some funnay a$$ sh..t, I love it! I just talked to the eye witness & she said she saw the guy in the van (idaho guy) come flying up off of the freeway & coming up on some other car's rearend & they moved over to the right lane & then she saw a bunch of smoke come out from under the van & then she saw him plow into the sweet, wonderful, law abiding, Oregon driver & that pushed her into me, & of course coming from washington, I was probably loading up my crack pipe, shooting some meth, & cranking up Korn as loud as I could!

You know what else is odd, is my wife suffers from migraines also, are you sure your not from up here in WA? It's like we brothers from other mothers.

Last edited by 71chevylowrider; 06-03-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:50 PM   #24
dubs68SWB

That's sum funny stuff!!! What makes me mad is that you guys even have the faster speed limit. No worries though...with 3.73's in the rear, I don't like to take-er much over 60mph. I hope you live in East Vancouver, around 164th, instead of the other side. Otherwise, I'd be believing that whole crack pipe thing!

:fast68:
caps

Sick horsepower and torque
dubs68SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:57 PM   #25
66skylarkpost

oh , i can feel for you . i got driven into begining of last month while turning into where i wor k . i was at a dead stop , foot on the brake ,waiting to make a left turn on a four lane street ,inside lane . when a 95 lesabre drives into the back of me doing at least 35 mph , accellerating . at first i got out pissed , but the older woman was very shook up .we were all amazed no one got seriusly hurt , i had a sore shoulder , buit she was fine , deployed both of her airbags ,trashed her car , i dont think the front wheels would turn . worst of the deal ,it messed my '89 up bad . so far i bought another truck and in the proccess of fixin the cab and box then changing frames
Attached Images

'70 k-10 longbox- mid 70's drivetrain 350/350 487x heads 10.1:1 flowmasters ,35's 3.73's auburn posi ,rear shackle flip. '72 short stepside U.S. forestry truck, '73 455 buick,400 turbo,dropped 2"-4 1/4" ,3.07 posi,:'89 silverado 1500 ,OK truck ,5.7 holley tbi ,trick 700r4 3.07 auburn posi ,and my '66 skylark ,'73 centurion and my '84 monte carlo imca stock car

Last edited by 66skylarkpost; 06-03-2007 at 03:01 PM.
66skylarkpost is offline   Reply With Quote