The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2007, 03:48 AM   #1
alnshan

Fuel Gauge Wires

HELP!!! I bought an autometer fuel gauge and I'm trying to install it, but can't figure out what wires connect to where??? I have two tan wires and one pink wire that came from the original wiring. The pink wire is hot when the ignition is on, but on the wiring diagrams that I've been looking at...everyone shows it as "fuel gauge feed". Ironically...there's also a "fuel gauge" for one or both of the tan wires. Which is which???

On the gauge I have a place for "sending unit", "ground" and "ignition". I connected the ground and connected the ignition to a 12 volt ignition source and then connected one of the tan wires to the sending unit and the gauge jumped WAY over to the right!!! Please tell me I didn't fry this damn thing!!!
alnshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
65-72 chevytoys

Re: Fuel Gauge Wires

You didn't fry it on the originals an open circut will cause that also and without the sending unit connected it will do that. I am assuming you only connected power and ground?
2004 Corvette Z16 #770
Wish I had not sold 72 blazer
65-72 chevytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
alnshan

Yes...I had power and ground connected and then I tried one of the tan wires. any idea which one connects to the sending unit??? Better question...any idea how I can test which one is really for my fuel gauge??? Thanks!!!

Al
Old 06-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
alnshan

update:
So I decided to try connecting the tan wires to the sending unit. Ironically...the one tan wire that I thought was for the brake waring lamp made the fuel gauge move!!! Unfortunately it's still not reading correctly as I just filled the blazer up and strangely enough...the gauge moves when I step on the gas!!! What the heck!!! If the one tan wire that made the gauge move was suppose to be for the brake lamp...now...did I screw up my fuel gauge??? HHHHEEELLLLPPP!!!!!
Old 06-04-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
RustyParts

I believe the fuel sending unit wire enters the cab at the top of the fuse block, check at the top of the block it should have it written there. Unplug it and run a jumper wire to your new gauge, it should work. If it works just splice in wire to new gauge.

The math teacher said my son "Bubba" could be a mathmatical genius. cause he's got 13 fingers!
RustyParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #6
alnshan

I found the wire on the top of the fuse block that runs all the way to the fuel tank, but I can't unplug the stupid thing. I'll splice a seperate wire when I get home and let you know.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
alnshan

okay...i ran a wire from the block to the gauge and for whatever reason...the needle only goes up about a 1/4 ways and that's it. Strangely enough...I was watching the needle and occasionally that thing would jump to full while I'm driving and then go back down. I just filled up my tank so I know it's full. Any idea what I should do now???
Old 06-29-2007, 04:16 PM   #8
RckyMntnKng

From your Fuse Panel to your Cluster:
I beleive you should only have 1 tan 20 ga wire...that is the Fuel Ga wire. You should be able to trace that tan wire from the fuse panel to the tank meter.

But....there are 2 tans at the Cluster Connector. The one that isnt your Fuel ga Wire, is the Brake warning lamp. This one will run to the Ignition Connector before running back to the bulkhead connector

The Pink is 20 ga Fuel Feed

Last edited by RckyMntnKng; 06-29-2007 at 04:23 PM.
RckyMntnKng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #9
RckyMntnKng

So if it were me:

Pink from Fuse panel to the "ignition" on meter (Feeds the guage power only when running)

Tan to the "sending unit" (but not the one that originates from the bulkhead or ignition connectors)

And Ground is ground

Last edited by RckyMntnKng; 06-29-2007 at 04:31 PM.
RckyMntnKng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:35 PM   #10
alnshan

that's how I have it wired, but no luck. It goes up a little at idle and as I'm driving say on the highway...the needle occasionally jumps around. No worries...I'm in the process of selling the blazer and just wanted to make sure little things on the blazer like this was fixed. If I can't...I'll just let the buyer know. I know I'm not suppose to post this here, but in case your wondering...my blazer is up for sale on Ebay. Here's the item number. 290134511343

Last edited by alnshan; 06-30-2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:03 PM   #11
RckyMntnKng

I bet you have a bad ground then, at the tank meter by the tank or

somewhere in the line something is frayed or shorted.

I will check the truck out in evilbay