The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
casterbuster
Mejor Que Nada

Gen III swap????s

Okay, I have been watching several of your in progress swaps. I am thinking of doing my own, but I have a ?

Why isn't anyone doing a carbureated setup? I think (I repeat THINK) this would be a much easier process. Edelbrock makes a manifold with a computer and everything for 600 or so. It seems like to me you could put an electric fuel pump inline and a regulator, then bolt it to a 700r4 and you would still have a pretty nice setup. This would save money on the harness and pcm programing. Seems like it maybe a cheaper route to take, but I am not sure.

What do you guys think? I am just curious.
casterbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
jkade

Re: Gen III swap????s

Quote:
Originally Posted by casterbuster View Post
Okay, I have been watching several of your in progress swaps. I am thinking of doing my own, but I have a ?

Why isn't anyone doing a carbureated setup? I think (I repeat THINK) this would be a much easier process. Edelbrock makes a manifold with a computer and everything for 600 or so. It seems like to me you could put an electric fuel pump inline and a regulator, then bolt it to a 700r4 and you would still have a pretty nice setup. This would save money on the harness and pcm programing. Seems like it maybe a cheaper route to take, but I am not sure.

What do you guys think? I am just curious.
The reason I am doing this swap is mainly for gas mileage, I don't think you will get the mileage from a carb over the fuel injection. This swap is really not that hard with the fuel injection. After you hook up all the plugs on the motor there are not but a few wires that you will have to terminate to make it run. What other motor can you make 400hp with and still get 16+mpg with when running the fuel injection?
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
neonlarry

My question would be why would you swap if you weren't going to use fuel injection. 5.7L is 5.7L just put on a good set of heads on what you have if you want to stay with a carb.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
shifty
Questionable

you can still have EFI with these newer GenIII engines, it just costs a little more. there was a full writeup on this in one of the truck mags last year. they went through all of the particulars, including what controllers to buy, etc. one of those mags also did a carb'd buildup as well.

i wanted fuel economy, so i went with the EFI setup using the stock computer, etc. of course you can go carb'd, but ... the last two guys already summed that one up....

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:03 PM   #5
Sandemonium
Proud owner of a 55.1 AD

As was stated above I am doing the swap for gas mileage and performance gains without affecting reliability of the engine.
Sandemonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:34 PM   #6
jkade

You figure for the cost of the carb intake and the computer to run the carb setup and then the money for a good carb and you have already paid for a harness and a lot of other misc. things you could spend on keeping the efi. The motors are capable of making a lot of hp for little money if you shop around. I am turning a 4.8 into a iron block 5.7 ls1 and I will have less than 2 grand in the motor and trans and it should make in the range of 400hp. Where else are you going to get a motor to make those kind of numbers for the money and it be reliable and get 16 to 20mpg?
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote