The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
one9six9

Not Frustrated, but Rethinking Everything.

When I bought this truck I knew that I would have some work ahead of me, but I am starting to think that I have bit off more than I can chew. The truck is running and is drivable, but I had intentions on swapping over to 5-lug disc with parts aquired from a 72. I don't really have the place or the man power to do this project.
I am rethinking the whole thing. I have been laying under the truck for the past hour looking at what it's going to take to swap everything over and started to realize that I am the only one going to be doing this.
Is it doable with one person, or am I correct in thinking that it will be more than one person can handle?
I really like the truck, but didn't put much thought into being alone on the project. I guess I'm starting to get cold feet, and I am starting to think I might need to sell the truck while it is still in one piece before I get it into a bunch of pieces and loose money on it.

Keith
one9six9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
Billla
Account Suspended

Re: Not Frustrated, but Rethinking Everything.

Y'know, I've hit that point more than once - either manpower, dollars or skills.

I've met people via the board that have helped me out a lot over email and the phone...and maybe if I don't get lucky today fixing something - in person I'm not in FL, but I have to think there's someone right there willing to come over on a weekend and help scope out the job and help you get 'er finished.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

It's easy to get overwhelmed; I'm actually at the tail end of a brake swap myself. I've had to do all the work in the parking lot of my apartment complex. One person can get the job done, it just takes a little longer. You can do it, and when you're done you'll feel pretty good about what you've accomplished. You also have all the great people on this board to help you with questions and keep you motivated. I agree w/ Billla that there's someone willing to help you out; we have quite a few FL members. Good luck with it and keep us posted on your progress.
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

when i first got the longhorn, the same thought came over my... kinda washed over me. i was afraid I was in over my head. And, while manypeople will still look at my truck and say what a piece of sh!t, it's come a LONG way, and I have learned quite a bit too. Now, if it is your only vehicle, that throws a huge stick in the spokes, however, it can still be done, you just have to plan for the worst, and pull the big jobs on long weekends.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #5
Evans

I just got done pulling a toasted motor and 3 sp tranny then install a new motor and TH350 automatic pretty much all by myself.... I had a friend or 2 lend a 1/2hr once or twice .... I had never tackled anything like that before and I managed to actually fire my motor up today.... Take your time, research and plan in stages.....biggest thing is don't give yourself a time limit and expect issues.....

Last edited by Evans; 06-03-2007 at 09:01 PM.
Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:01 PM   #6
Jim_PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by one9six9 View Post
When I bought this truck I knew that I would have some work ahead of me, but I am starting to think that I have bit off more than I can chew. The truck is running and is drivable, but I had intentions on swapping over to 5-lug disc with parts aquired from a 72. I don't really have the place or the man power to do this project.
I am rethinking the whole thing. I have been laying under the truck for the past hour looking at what it's going to take to swap everything over and started to realize that I am the only one going to be doing this.
Is it doable with one person, or am I correct in thinking that it will be more than one person can handle?
I really like the truck, but didn't put much thought into being alone on the project. I guess I'm starting to get cold feet, and I am starting to think I might need to sell the truck while it is still in one piece before I get it into a bunch of pieces and loose money on it.

Keith

I did mine by myself. Don't start this job thinking you'll have it all done in a weekend The hardest part for me was removing the factory ball joints. The rest of the stuff was relatively easy, but I had several hurdles to get over that I wasn't expecting.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:11 PM   #7
boogie67

Its not easy but it can be done.I did this on my 67 by myself, me and a floorjack.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:19 PM   #8
68 short step

one person can do it!!! also ive known people who were in wheelchairs do all this same stuff everyone else does and paint them too.. do it one step at a time
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:19 PM   #9
OLDIRON69

The ball joints to me will be the most time consuming part on my '69. My budget dosen't allow me to go out and buy all the parts at once and jump on it, the truck is driven at least once a week so I'm fortunate that it is not daily driver. I plan on buying everything Johnny Cash style and start on it when I have everything there and ready. I was once rather intimidated by stuff (now) as simple as intake/carb swaps, transmission swaps,etc. I just had to jump in and learn as I go. I pretty much always had 20+ year old car/trucks in High School so I really had no choice but to learn or walk. I have screwed up my fair share, but it was a learning experience.

I have a 71 suspension set up for mine,everything needs rebuilt or replaced. Brake lines to rotors,suspension components and so on. I really should have looked for a disc brake truck up front,but I got a deal on the '69 and the rest is history....We are all here to help, if you watch your pennies when it is all said and done you will have a safer truck and the great feeling of doing it yourself!
69 Dodge Charger-440/4spd

Last edited by OLDIRON69; 06-03-2007 at 11:20 PM.
OLDIRON69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:31 PM   #10
68 P.O.S.

Hey man, I'm in just about the same boat as you. I got into mine with limited mechanical skills, but I've figured it out by jumping in head first and by asking questions on the board and people I know. I'm far from being a mechanic, but I'm starting to build a tool collection and knowledge base so I can pretty much hold my own now. It's really frustrating when you can't put the kind of money into your truck that you would like to. I am more than willing to stop by and give you a hand when you need it...all you gotta do is ask. Plus, I'm always eager to show off my POS. There's a few other board members nearby as well, and although I can't speak for them, I'm sure they wouldn't mind lending a hand as well.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #11
wyatt earp

the guys above are right take it a little at a time. and don't be afraid to ask for help, thats what the board is for, right? i mean showing off your truck both before and after(along with in between) is great and really helps motovate others also. take alot of pics of the project so you can realize the progress you've made and be able to share your expirences. a man i know always said "that no man ever got to that point without help from the right people" i think he ment that help and advice are the key to your success. keep looking forward, not at your feet, and you will not stumble as much.
wyatt earp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:34 PM   #12
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Geez...you mean some of you can actually find someone to help you on your projects? I have to make all of the mistakes myself...it is more enjoyable that way...and less embarassing...LOL!

Now why do you need 5-lugs instead of the six lugs that are probably working just fine?
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)

Last edited by stllookn; 06-04-2007 at 06:36 PM.
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #13
Mt Man Chad

Quote:
I have been laying under the truck for the past hour looking at what it's going to take to swap everything over and started to realize that I am the only one going to be doing this.
Keith
Hey!
Look at this way, I can't even lay under my 68 SWB yet "Wish I could" it's just a freshly painted frame! Now the fun begins -> time to start bolting all the like new caustic dipped parts togther!
Attached Images

Last edited by Mt Man Chad; 06-13-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Mt Man Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:40 PM   #14
72 Cheyenne402

Keith,

I have family in Milton and if I were there right now I would be at your house to help. I unsderstand working on these trucks can get a little overwhelming at times but hang in there.
72 Cheyenne402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:03 PM   #15
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

As the others have said hang in there. I know you will regret it if you sell truck.

esll.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #16
bryanw1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE View Post
As the others have said hang in there. I know you will regret it if you sell truck.

esll.
I did it alone. Like mentioned above, the ball joints were a MF. Get an air hammer with a pickle fork on the end if you can. Otherwise you'll have to beat em' out. All in all quite a bit of work but totally doable.
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:35 PM   #17
streetstar

Or ----- just a thought ----- you could restore your system with new brake hardware all the way around and a power booster.

Since all the new trucks today are 6 lug anyway, there is no shortage of wheels available, like there was 20 years ago, when you were limited to Wagon Wheels and various other chrome steel 4x4 wheels and generic appearing aluminum centerline knock offs.

I am doing the same because i want to run the new Torq Thrust ST 6 spoke wheel. The side benefit was this was a lot cheaper than the conversion, and many board members have sworn that there will be little problems with stopping power with my restored drum setup unless i am continually towing heavy trailers.
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:46 PM   #18
72 Cheyenne402

I really hated fabricating the transmission colling lines & the heater core. Yeh, the front end was a challenge 30 years of caked on greese and dirt. but Imade it. hang in there
72 Cheyenne402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #19
one9six9

One of our afternoon storms zapped my ability to get on the internet a couple of days ago so I haven't been able to log on. Thanks to you all for you're words of encouragement. I will just take it a little at a time and do the best I can with it. This truck is my daily driver so I guess I'm worried about getting in the middle of something and not being able to finish it. Then I would be out of a truck.

Thanks again guys,
Keith
one9six9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:57 AM   #20
68chevy68

So far, I have done everything on my truck by myself. Swapped cabs, beds, engines and all. I took my truck down to the bare frame and had to drag it outside by myself. If there is a will, there is a way.
68chevy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:18 AM   #21
BowTieOgre

Keith, shoot me a PM. I live in Pensacola and might be able to come lend a hand when/if you decide to do the swap.

I started with a 6 lug '70 and now its 5 lug thanks to me and only me so it CAN be done. Your situation is a bit different as it is a DD but with the right prep, tools and manpower i bet it could be done in a weekend.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:53 AM   #22
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Arrow Re: Not Frustrated, but Rethinking Everything.

Quote:

Keith
? all that you want is to swap from 6lug to 5lug and add disc brake's ?
that is not difficult at all and is a job that you could do in a few evening's by yourself in a driveway or parking lot ,, I would not let something like that bother me at all once you get into it you will be fine on that ,,,
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:36 PM   #23
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Frustration, anxiety, and not being completely sure what the hell you're doin' is kinda the name of the game when tinkering with vintage cars, trucks, bikes, houses, boats, trains or whatever. If it was easy- everybody would be doin' it! I like the sense of satifaction in doing something myself rather than paying some bloke to do what I know I'm capable of. Then again, I'm a cheap-a$$ mother-'effer! If it's just anxiety about getting too deep into your truck- take baby steps and knock down a cold one for the small successes. However, if you truly do not enjoy turning wrenches, getting dirty, bustin' knuckles and actually doing the physical work involved....then by all means, get out now and buy a Toyota Camry (they run forever ya' know!).
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote