The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2002, 11:57 PM   #1
da-burb
"Ochre Ogre"

What to do? Messed up balancer bolt.

Well I did the 2nd dumbest thing in my life today. How do I fix it? I went and pulled the balancer on with the bolt and washer and pulled the threads in the crankshaft. I have the bolt half in and half out and now I can't get it to back out. I'd hate to bust it off. The bolt is a 5/8" diameter fine thread bolt on a 351 windsor. The engine isn't in the car yet so access is still good. Does anybody have any ideas?

Bowtie Truck Stop Inc.
Mid-West GM Truck Restoration Parts Supplier
Your Key Parts, Auto Metal Direct, Dynacorn,
and Goodmark dealer.
like us @ www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop

1971 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1971 K-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 K-20 Suburban (Yellow- that just aint right!)

Springfield, Minnesota 56087
da-burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 12:09 AM   #2
Leinie

I'd say-" just run it" It's a Ford, that bolt will outlast some other part !
Seriously, I wish I could give you real good advice, but Crap is all I can offer- Good Luck

What was the first dumbest thing you did?
Leinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 12:47 AM   #3
bigjimzlll

im guessing the first thing , must have to do with the (windsor)...like buying one...lol

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 12:59 AM   #4
lofly'a

ok it's a ford, you need help soooooo.............., in this case you have pulled the threads so first try to moderately smack the bolt head with a brass drift and hammer then try to turn it. the idea is to push the threads back some and release some of the tension on the threads. be patient and don't hit it too hard, and please use the drift or you'll mushroom the bolt head and won't be able to get a socket or wrench on it. try the tap, tap, tap, turn method and if you have'nt pulled them (threads) too much it will unscrew (gently). then all you have to do is chase the crank threads with an appropriate tap and you're done. if that method does'nt work (i hope it does) you'll have to go ahead and break the bolt or cut it off, and step drill the bolt remains until you are close to the threads, then use a very small chisel to chip out, or peel the bolt remains away from the crank threads. then chase the crank threads and reinstall. some will say never drop or strike a crank because it might fracture, but what is the alternative. i would try that method first because it's a lot less work, and the crank is in it's journals and supported so as not to cause a lot of shock, but you make the call. i must say again, don't hit it too hardif you try it, and if it won't move after several whacks and twists, break it off and drill. good luck
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
-71 gmc swb fleet (current project, gonna shave everything, bags, stuff w/ 20's, gen III powertrain)
-48 3100 SWB - 12/31/23 LONG TERM Project
lofly'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 01:00 AM   #5
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

step 1. attatch chain to head bolt

step 2. attatch longer chain or rope to above chain

step 3. place F@rd motor in bow of boat

step 4. go fishin'........ya ain't gonna have to worry about not having enough anchor.

if you want to save the engine, though I wouln't know why, try some light heat on the nose of the crank, like propane heat, not red hot or anything, and work at the bolt back and forth, eventually, you will either turn it out or break it off, but it will break pretty hard, as it is prolly a grade 8 bolt, clean up the threads in the crank and get another bolt.

I'm still trying to figure out how come the threads stripped in the first place, balancer shouln't pull on that hard, maybe some crap in the hole was the cause.

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 01:09 AM   #6
70shortnphat
"See the U.S.A....."

I went through the same thing last weak. Ended up drilling and retapping the hole. If you end up having to go that route it might be tough getting the right size drill and tap. Good luck man!
Richmond , Texas(just S.W.of Houston)
70shortnphat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 10:08 AM   #7
da-burb
"Ochre Ogre"

"What was the first dumbest thing you did?" Leinie, It was when I was 10. I had a cup of gas and I was messing with the bon-fire. I wasn't burned, but I had the $hit scared out of me with a 25' flame ball. If things go as planned, my next scheduled stupid thing will happen when I turn 68.

bigjimzlll ; It isn't my engine. That makes it worse. I am installing a 325horse 351w into my older brother's 65 Mustang. It is his mid-life crisis, not mine.

lofly'a YOU DA' MAN! It worked just like you said!

The rest of you clowns. LOL!

Bowtie Truck Stop Inc.
Mid-West GM Truck Restoration Parts Supplier
Your Key Parts, Auto Metal Direct, Dynacorn,
and Goodmark dealer.
like us @ www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop

1971 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1971 K-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 K-20 Suburban (Yellow- that just aint right!)

Springfield, Minnesota 56087
da-burb is offline   Reply With Quote