The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2002, 01:24 AM   #1
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

Talking OT - U.S. invented "loonie" first?

Well, this one is for us Canucks.

As you might have experienced at least once in your life, our brothers to the south give us a hard time about our "loonie" $1.00 coin. Well, I was digging through my coins earlier, and I came across this:

BTW, I know that our loonie is called the loonie because of the loon on the front, just being a smart ass!

EDIT: this coin is about the same size as the Canadian $1.00 coin, and is dated at 1979.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2002, 04:45 AM   #2
jiggs
poker face

Joe; I've never been to the States, what do they think of the "twonnie" and how about the proposed five dollar coin?
Old 09-15-2002, 10:40 AM   #3
Patrick Sullivan
Transcendental Trucker

That's a Susan B. Anthony coin.. weren't printed for more than a couple years, if I remember right.
1998 Dodge Dakota 4x4

So, fill to me the parting glass
And drink a health whate'er befalls...
Then gently rise and softly call
Goodnight and joy be to you all!
Patrick Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 01:31 PM   #4
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

The Susan B Anthony coins are still minted today. They have are producing less of them due to the New Gold Coin coming out. You can get any of them from the bank but you will have to ask as it doesnt seem like they are trying very hard to put either of the coins into circulation like they are suppose to.
Old 09-15-2002, 01:35 PM   #5
RainDog

The Sacajewea (gold) dollars didn't seem to catch on all that well. The problem with the Susan B. from the get-go was it's similarity to the quarter, made it difficult to identify in change, confused vending machines, etc.
Old 09-15-2002, 01:40 PM   #6
lux hauler
Psycho-billy Member

It's my understanding that 1999 was the last year of the Susan B. Anthony coin. 2000 was the first year for the Sacagawea.

Support your community, support yourself. Buy local, buy American (or Canadian).
lux hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 02:49 PM   #7
mikep
Used to have a truck

The susan B Anthony coins were minted for general release in 1979 and 1980 only although limited "proof" runs were made for collecters in the following years. There are still millions of unreleased SBA coins sitting in treasury vaults. No one wants them. Too close in size to the quarter but more important than that there hasnt been the political will to do what has to be done to ensure that the dollar coin is put into use on a wide scale and that is eliminate the dollar bill. The new Sacajewea "golden dollar" seems to be doing better int he eyes of the public but unless the treasury stops the production of one dollar bills it will probably fare the same as the SBA dollar in the long run. This is all driven by the fact that the dollar bill is much more expensive to produce given its short lifespan than a coin is and with the shrinking value of the dollar over time it doesnt make fiscal sense to continue paper dollar production.