The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2007, 08:54 AM   #1
rhlanham

Where am I leaking coolant???

Ok, I put a new waterpump and thermostat on my 84 C10 with the 4.1L six. While running, but way more noticeable as soon as I shut off the engine, I can hear what sounds like water boiling at the front of the engine block, and white steam is coming up (it does not appear to be smoke). I know my t-stat housing and hoses aren't leaking, so what should I check next? If it is a head gasket, would that be too difficult to replace for a weekend mechanic? I don't seem to understand this, because the truck was just leaking antifreeze, and not steaming/smoking. Now that I have put the new waterpump in, I get the steam/smoke. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks. Oh yeah, a question to make me look foolish - I forgot to see how the old t-stat was positioned, so when I installed the new one, I put it with longer side pointing down. Is this correct? Should I get a lower temp thermostat? Thanks again.
rhlanham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
marvxyz1

leak

On your thermo., the spring oes toward the motor!!
marvxyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

Re: Where am I leaking coolant???

yes you put the thermo in correctly...

if you want to see if its a head gasket leak, start the truck, allow it to run for a bit (like 2-3 mins) then with the truck still running, cusp your hand over your exhaust pipe (at the end where the exhaust comes out) for bout 15-20 seconds, if there is any accumulation of water/antifreeze on your hand, then yea,.,.,.your head gasket is screwed.

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:57 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

are you sure you seasted the thermostat and waterpump correctly? did you use enough silicone on em??? im not trying to make you feel stupid by asking this just stating the obvious.. Also did you get a new or remanufactured waterpump sometimes the reman ones are kinda screwy.. also did you make sure the hoses on the heater and all have good ends and the hose clamps are good?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:07 AM   #5
rhlanham

Thanks for the tips. I've been out of town, and haven't been able to check most of these yet. The waterpump was a new one, and after seeing your replies I do have the thermostat in correctly. I did have someone look at it and say they thought I had a valve cover gasket leak. That is what I am going to tackle next. I think what I see smoking is oil leaking out on the engine block, and not coolant. Of course, in the process of getting the valve cover off, I have completely mangled the air injector pipe, so I have to get a new one of those.

Last edited by rhlanham; 06-19-2007 at 08:08 AM.
rhlanham is offline   Reply With Quote