The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

Got the cowl hood painted and mounted... pics!

Man I love this hood. It turned out exactly how I wanted it to. The style compliments the truck, it gives an aggressive style and the fit and finish was incredible. I paid $340 for the hood and $200 to get it sprayed and installed. I was happy to pay the $200 bucks for the paint and install, because 3 guys worked on it for about an hour and got it PERFECT. The gaps are all right on. They had to pull it off and reinstall it 3 times. I couldn't be happier.

They sprayed it with the paint code that I gave them (GM White 5111), and even though the truck's paint is about 2 years older, the hood matches perfectly. Gotta love white.

I noticed the engine is running a little cooler, about 5 degrees or so. I have every intention of making a fully functional cold air intake utilizing the raised cowl. It won't be just for looks for long.

What ya think?

redz 1970 K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

Re: Got the cowl hood painted and mounted... pics!

Oh, and I pulled the little bumper guards; they took away from the clean look of the grille and hood. It looks 100% better IMO.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
Pyrotechnic

What brand hood is that and where did you buy it? Looks sweet. I like how the rear edge of the scoop is angled back.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
jb4short
Damn Yankee

Looks great? Reflexxion?
jb4short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:37 PM   #5
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

Yup, Reflexxion steel cowl hood. No regrets at all. The body shop ordered it for me Pyrotechnic.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
pcmcobra

go buy you a bumper bolt!

looks good!

Miami...Flee it like a native
pcmcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:46 PM   #7
Crank

You're absolutely right the lower valence doesnt belong there and IMHO neither do those flares, but I dont remember seeing them before so apparently you've added them, I think it looked better before, alot cleaner, they also make ur wheel/tire combo look wimpier, but nonetheless, its a bada$$ lookin burb.
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:05 PM   #8
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

looks nice breh...

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:04 PM   #9
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
You're absolutely right the lower valence doesnt belong there and IMHO neither do those flares, but I dont remember seeing them before so apparently you've added them, I think it looked better before, alot cleaner, they also make ur wheel/tire combo look wimpier, but nonetheless, its a bada$$ lookin burb.
Brandon
Not sure where the valance came in? Maybe you were in your own internal conversation. I said that I pulled the little bumper guards. I will keep the valance.

As far as the flares, function trumps form there dude. I am sick and tired of begging to pass safety inspections and getting harassed by cops and getting fix it tickets. I have been driving lifted trucks for going on 14 years now, and I mean I have had some gnarly suckers. I have barely passed inspections and been doing the fix it ticket song and dance for just as long. I am tired of it. So since I am moving to a new state, I researched the lift laws and tire laws and made the mods to get my truck to pass with no questions.

Call it growing up or conforming. I still like my big trucks but I am not a young punk anymore so I do what I have to do to make it easier for me.

Last edited by redz 1970 K5; 06-09-2007 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:35 AM   #10
Eyegore
What Hump?

redz awesome looking ride, makes me miss my 86 sub, white with a cobalt blue center
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:39 AM   #11
Curly86
You want it there when???

Sweet looking ride and you know how some of the young kids r nowadays. Do your truck the way you want it.

1997 Ford Explorer with 302 mydrive to work ride

1978 Gmc Midas RV 21ft with 46,000 actual miles
2003 Chevy Avalanche 5.3 327 and Tweety Bird Yellow

Big Sandy Survivor 09

Trucks in the Blue Grass Survivor 09

TNCTC

Streetcruzin
Curly86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:35 AM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

That is becoming the sharpest looking Burb I have seen. I'm not much on cowl hoods because I think the make the front of our trucks look too bulky. On your Burb it has enough body mass to pull it off just fine.

Go easy on Brandon (Crank) he was just expressing his opinion. He did throw a compliment in there too...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #13
redz 1970 K5
OBS guy

Ya, no offense meant Crank. I just honestly burned out on swimming upstream against the laws and officers and shops that enforce them. When I was 20, I had an 82 Chevy truck with 39x18" Mickey Thompsons on 14" wide wheels! I got pulled over a lot but I didn't care at all. I had no problem playing the cat and mouse game, slipping a $20 to shops to pass inspection, etc.. It wasn't until my late 20's that I got tired of getting pulled over and now I won't even try to fight anymore. I just described how I have changed with my experiences over the years. That doesn't mean you aren't entitled to your opinion.

Last edited by redz 1970 K5; 06-09-2007 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #14
Pyrotechnic

Could you take a picture of the underside of the hood? No company ever posts pics of the underside of the hood and I'd like to be able to pre-plan how I'm going to make the scoop fully functional. Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind. I looked on their site and they only make a dual cowl and not a standard cowl hood for a 73-80.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 06-09-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #15
Crank

No, I reread your original post and saw nowhere where you mentioned taking off the valence, Must've been in my own little world imagining stuff again, or I associated when you said bumper guard, maybe thought you said splash guard or something, I really have NO idea... but maybe it was the 15 hour work day and looking at posts when i should've been sleeping. But nevertheless, that is a sweet burb and do whatever makes you happy, I know you've done plenty of mods to it and it's turned out great, but I guess I'm just a fan of simplicity, every truck i get I strip the trim, pinstripes, wheelwell stainless, so those fender guards just dont do it for me, if you like 'em, hey, its ur truck not mine... and being as I'm still only 20, I dont reckon I think as responsibly as you, i try, but it just doesnt work... No hard feelings?
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:25 AM   #16
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
I know you've done plenty of mods to it and it's turned out great, but I guess I'm just a fan of simplicity, every truck i get I strip the trim, pinstripes, wheelwell stainless, so those fender guards just dont do it for me, if you like 'em, hey, its ur truck not mine... and being as I'm still only 20, I dont reckon I think as responsibly as you, i try, but it just doesnt work... No hard feelings?
Brandon
Brandon, RedZ is moving to PA soon, he can't register his truck there if the wheels are sticking out of the fender wells, his only solution are the flares. Actually the law there is such a ***** he will have to have mudflaps installed tool, even tho they don't make almost no difference for the other drivers - I almost got killed his past Friday north of Pittsburgh when during a massive thunderstorm I was passed on a bridge by a dry-tanker with an 8-axle trailer, and he did have mudflaps and fenders and all, it's just mudflaps don't stop the wheels from pushing water to the side and thus blinding other drivers, yet PA requires them.