The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2002, 11:15 PM   #1
WB72
Before and After

Question Don't know where to start.... Prep work?

I just removed the box from the old girl,(get your mind out of the gutter)and want to know all there is to know about prepping for paint. It's a wooden box, It needs a couple of patches, but mostly surface rust(I think).

Do I start with the welding or taking it to bare metal or take the floor out. I do want to re-do the floor, what material is good for the floor?

I need every bit of info there is. What grit paper to use, I am a Virgin (there you go again) with body work. I will take all tips greatiously.

66,000 miles.
Alberta, CANADA
WB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 01:24 AM   #2
too many

just my way....

This is the way I like to "attack" a project.

I would start with removing the wood floor , since your going to replace it anyway. You can check to see if all the "flanges" where the wood meets are ok. Also makes the bed lighter to move.

As for the rust repair, I dont like to strip the entire box until neccessary. ( just gives it more "open" time to start surface rust)I use around an 80 grit to work the rust area. I remove just enough paint so that when you weld the patch , it wont catch the old paint on fire. When I repair rust , I also try not to overlap the patch. Make the patch a tiny bit smaller than the hole you are repairing. You can then "flush" weld the patch and have no lap joints to collect cr@p. It takes a little longer at first , but I think gives a much better finished job. Also when welding , make sure to take your time! I just tac weld and let it cool a little before "hitting" it again. Sometimes , I work a couple different repairs at the same time if they are in the same area.

Nothing cast in stone , but works for me. Good Luck!!!!
too many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 10:12 AM   #3
WB72
Before and After

Does removing the wood from the bed make it unstable or wobbly when trying to work on the other panels?
66,000 miles.
Alberta, CANADA
WB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 12:06 AM   #4
too many

Thumbs up Go WILD !!!

I cant say that taking the wood out will make it flimsey. It may let it move a little but shouldnt be any major probs.

Actually , depending how involved you want to get, I like to tear everything completely apart . It gives you the chance to clean and check everything. . The 72 that is pictured in my avitar was completely dis-assembled . I changed the color on it and ended up taking everthing ...... glass , wiring, dash, heater-AC, regulators, etc., etc. out so I could paint the interior, door edges , firewall and soforth to match. Also makes it a little easier when adding accessories.

The truck has been done for about 5 yrs and is driven daily to deliver "stuff" and/or pull a car trailer. . Originally , I was going to drive it all year, but couldnt bring myself to take it out in the winter salt.

It takes a lot of extra time doing it that way, but I think in the long run, everything looks better -longer. I still get comments on it almost daily. Have fun !!

Steve
too many is offline   Reply With Quote