The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
chevymotocross

Please help radio install problems

My truck came with an old Sanyo cassette player. The radio worked fine but obviously I wanted to upgrade to a cd player. The problem is, after removing the sanyo, I noticed the PO hard-wired the system. Anyways, I bought a JVC unit, matched all the wires, powered up but no sound at all from any speakers. I reconnected the old sanyo back to make sure it wasn't something I did, and the sanyo worked. So I returned the JVC thinking it was defective and bought a Pioneer unit. Wired up the pioneer, powers up, no sound! I notice there is a plug, coming from the truck's wiring end, looks like maybe an OEM radio plug, with 3 wires, black, yellow, and grey. Only the grey is connected, the yellow and black are cut and the plug goes to nothing. Why the heck am I not getting any sound from the new units but with the old Sanyo cassette!?

Last edited by chevymotocross; 06-09-2007 at 09:18 PM.
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
chevymotocross

Re: Please help radio install problems

Guys, disregard, I got it working. The crimps were too big, none of them were making contact! I soldered the wires and it all works. I'm still not fond of the stereo wiring deeper in the dash that the PO did..... but it works.

Last edited by chevymotocross; 06-09-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:35 PM   #3
Pyrotechnic

Glad to hear you got it working. Butchered wiring syndrome sucks to clean up but it's well worth the effort.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:12 AM   #4
chevymotocross

Yup, got it all working BUT the front left speaker has a problem. When I go to hook up the LF speaker wires, all sound stops. When I remove those 2 wires, the other 3 speakers work fine. Must be a short or something? I also need to figure out how to mount the headunit in place. I still have to cut the dash metal and plastic bezel, but supporting the headunit firmly has me questionable.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:08 AM   #5
Pyrotechnic

if you aren't 100% confident about cutting your dash I would find another stereo since it' not too hard to mess the dash up. Custom Auto Sound shaft mount radios and matching CD changer are a little on the pricey side compared to modern DIN stuff but the pay off is that it all bolts in and looks original.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:37 PM   #6
chevymotocross

Yea, I think I can make it mount. I wonder what is up with that front driver speaker. I'm not sure why it would cancel sound, when connected to the new headunit, and not the old one?
Old 06-11-2007, 02:56 AM   #7
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

suggestion...re-wire the speaker setup using all new 12 ga speaker wire...

that usually helps on a lot of it :/

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote