The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2002, 01:45 AM   #1
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

A new '67 GMC half ton owner!

Hi all. I'm a proud new owner of a '67 GMC half ton. I bought it from my retired uncle this afternoon. It has a straight six, 3 on-the-tree, a heater & not much else. My uncle was owner #2. I can see ground at the rear cab corners & at the drivers floorboards. The rockers are disapearing & I can see ground through the bed. It has the small rear window & is a dark green. I must do some patching before I can bring it home (it is still at my uncles farm in the machine shed) BUT I'm really excited about owning a vehicle that patch metal is availible for!!! (I currently am driving a melting '79 Bel Air & alas - no metal is availible...) I know this question has been asked a million times BUT is it a bad plan to replace all the tin I just mentioned? I'm pretty sure that in my area no rust-free cabs are availible (it's salts-ville in winter here). Where should I obtain my metal? More than anything, I'm just looking for suggestions to get me started (& get my truck legal) & to avoid any pitfalls. Glad to be a new member!
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 04:02 PM   #2
Church
Carolina Classic Trucks

First off, welcome to the board from NC. Sounds like your really excited! I cant believe I found your post on the 2nd page of this forum and no one has said welcome or nothing. Usually we are alot better than that. It sounds like you need some rockers, cab corners, and maybe a few other parts. They only make patch panels for your bed floor though. I sell all of the above sheetmetal as well as many other items for these trucks. Let me know if I can help in any way.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:51 PM   #3
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Welcome frome good ole' W VA and start havin' fun !!!!!!! Enjoy the board!!!!!!!!
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 05:33 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Welcome to THE board. There is nothing wrong with replacing the sheet metal you are refering to. Around here (central Ohio) that would be a clean truck. Pretty much all of them has returned to the earth around here. The way ppl act when they see my 69 GMC short bed, you'd think they've never seen a shortie before. That's ok, that kind or reaction just bumps up the asking price when/if the time comes.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 05:57 PM   #5
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Talking

You've got the coolest year/model ever made.... '67 GMC!!

Old 09-16-2002, 07:44 PM   #6
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

Talking

Thanks for the kind welcome. I've been thinking about my impending rust repair on my cab & I was wondering should I be welding the tin in with the cab on the frame or the cab off? I'm pretty sure that the cab mounts & other related items will be rotten too. Does anyone have a series of photos that could help me plan my future rust repairs?
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
Old 09-16-2002, 09:45 PM   #7
Dean23
68cst_ss490

welcome to the board. I replaced my hood both front fenders and still have to do cab corners, rockers floor pans mounts, bed floor and front wheel wells, I think that is normal for these trucks. Good luck and keep us posted

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche LT
cold air intake, performance exhaust, Comp cams cam, jba shorty ceramic headers.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3090973
Dean23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 10:01 PM   #8
71402BB
now thats a true COON DOG

Welcome to "THE" board! You can do those patch panels to your cab with the the cab still on the truck.................unless you plan on doing a frame off resto! Here are a couple of links to 2 guys that sell all new sheet meatal and patch panels! I would recommend them both! http://www.gmcpaulstruckparts.com/ http://www.classicheartbeat.com/ How about some pic's of your truck!!!

71 SWB Stepside, was a 250, now is a 402 Big Block with 4 speed and 3.73's ( was crushed by a tree, bed sold, motor pulled) was my first truck!... oh well...

72 LWB 4x4 350 4-speed 3.08's posi wearing army olive drab green (SOLD!)

68 BURB 50TH LOOKALIKE work in progress, soon to have 250-I6 with a 3-speed on the tree 4.11's and posi ( currently sitting in back yard tarped awaiting time, $$$, and lots of love!)

67 1 TON- work truck 396 sm 420 4-speed, flat bed 4.57 gears "big red" (my first landscape truck, very rusty and crusty! but still gets the job done when needed!)
71402BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 11:28 PM   #9
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

Talking

At this time the only pics I have are the ones in my head & it's sitting about 2.5 hours away from my home so it'll be a bit before I have any pics (sorry). It's a farm truck. The rear bumper is a pipe 1/4" wall thickness & 3" dia. The Drivers side bed is dented a few times, the fenders have a few rust holes about 8" up from the bottom & it's dusty as hell inside & out. Like I said, its a dark green with a lighter green interior. Zero options except for a heater. It is what I think you call a fleetside. The tires say "8 ply" on them & the wheels are white. The front bumper is there & fairly straight, the grill & bumper are white. The column is a light blue - my uncle says he changed it because it was too sloppy & was locking up & not letting him shift. I've driven it & certainly is sloppy. Is it possible (are parts availible?) to rebuild the column & the linkage to get it shifting nice? I know everybody puts a floor shifter in BUT I think the column shift is kinda cool. eventually I'd like a 350/700r4 to drop in but thats a ways off. Thanks again for your suggestions.