The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
7791manz

Disc Brake Swap Revisited

I am a newbie to this forum and want to say that I have found alot of valuable information on this site.

I have a 69 C10 396/turbo400 from North Dakota that I am restoring.

I have searched and read all I could find on the disc brake swap and have just a few additional questions.

I have the master cylinder/vacuum booster, front spindles, rotor, calipers, proportioning valve and complete steering linkage off of an 85 C10.

From what I can tell from this site all I have to do is use the control arms that are on my 69 with ball joints for an 85 and then the spindles will be a bolt in. I can either use the complete steering linkage from the 85 or I will have to purchase a special adjuster sleeve to use the 69 centerlink and inner tie rod. The 85 master cylinder/vacuum booster will work but I have to modify the mount and the rod to the brake pedal.

Could someone please confirm that the above is correct or set me straight if it is not.

Also, what is the best way to obtain 5 lub axles for the rear? I have heard that the 6 lug can be redrilled or buy new axles or a complete rearend. Any help on the best way to proceed would be greatly appreciated. My 12 bolt appears to be in great shape.

Thanks in advance for the help!
7791manz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

Re: Disc Brake Swap Revisited

I'm pretty sure you can put the ball joints for the 85 in your control arms. I just swapped out the control arms altogether when I did my swap, but I've read about other guys just swapping ball joints. You will need to use the steering components from the 85 (centerlink, tie rods, etc), except I think you'll need to keep your stock pitman arm. When I did my swap with parts from an 89 Burb I used all the Burb steering parts except for the pitman arm because it was too big to fit my 68's steering box. Not sure about the rear; that's something I'm still trying to figure out myself. I'm thinking about having my axles drilled, but I don't know how much t would cost. Hope I've helped you out some.
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
PrinsGMC

Lets see some pictures of the truck.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

7791manz,I suggest you check out the threads in the FAQ's section for disc brake swaps.I believe the info you were given is correct but the FAQ threads will have you overloaded with info on the swap.Knowledge is power.The easiest way to find stuff in FAQ is to use krue's index.There are probably a dozen or so references to the swap there.Much more than I could type this evening.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote