The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2007, 12:52 AM   #1
Ricks1971

vintage air vs old air products?

Getting to the point where I need to get the air and heater for my 71 project. I would like some feed back on these two systems from you guys. vintsge air and old air products. I heard that the vintage air you lose your glove box and have to go to a small radio. any feedback will help! thanks Rick
Ricks1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:57 AM   #2
1970shortbed

Re: vintage air vs old air products?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricks1971 View Post
Getting to the point where I need to get the air and heater for my 71 project. I would like some feed back on these two systems from you guys. vintsge air and old air products. I heard that the vintage air you lose your glove box and have to go to a small radio. any feedback will help! thanks Rick
i just installed the old air in my 70 model i will get u some pics in the next few days
1970shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:08 AM   #3
jfalesi

My truck has the Old Air system and it works fine, although I think it needs a recharge because on those muggy NJ days it barely suffices. Then again, that could be because I only have front air and Burbs have about 75,000,000.00 cubic feet of air to cool inside them. The leaky windows and lack of carpet in the rear don't help either...

I have contacted Old Air and found them to be responsive. You may want to ask GMCPaul, as he sells the systems and seems to be knowledgeable.
jfalesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:10 AM   #4
jfalesi

Oh, and I still have the big glove box and an aftermarket Sony stereo. The blower motor is inside the passenger compartment though, which makes it kinda loud.
jfalesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:59 AM   #5
jackyl9999

I have a order in for a old air system with my part man. Sounds like a good system. I will find out.

1990 K1500 Daily

jackyl9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #6
topnos

Probably not the reply you want, but I am going to install an Old Air on the 70 Project. However, I have some time before I get to that point. Fortunatley for me, a buddy of mine is a distributor/rep for Old Air. The parts appear to be top quiality, and the service I have received has been nothing short of the same. I ordered a kit with the Vortec Heads (for the A/C bracket). However, the bracket supplied in the kit was for the traditional iron heads (non-vortec). Within two (2) days, the right bracket was sent w/o question. As soon as I get to the point where I have it hooked up, I'll be sure to post some pics in my build thread ("Mean Green Bob County"

Have a great one!
topnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:32 AM   #7
1970shortbed

ok no pics of the install sorry but have a few pics an some info on mine

the guys who charged the system said it was blowing like 40 degrees and thats good because of the loose windows and bad seals on windows/doors ( not going to fix untill paint

it came with everything needed to do the pretty much straight forward install and it gives u ac and replaces the whole factory heat unit( that way when u shut off the heat it goes off lol)

it comes with a new glove box insert as u will see in the pics( dont laugh at all my hanging wires that will be soon to come) and i chose the under dash vents as i dont not feel like cutting more holes in the dash

Old 06-13-2007, 01:05 AM   #8
jackyl9999

70 shortbed. Where did you get your serpentine setup? and could you post some pics of it. AC looks good. I have one on the way and looks like I'm gonna like it. STAY COOL!

1990 K1500 Daily

jackyl9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:02 AM   #9
1970shortbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl9999 View Post
70 shortbed. Where did you get your serpentine setup? and could you post some pics of it. AC looks good. I have one on the way and looks like I'm gonna like it. STAY COOL!

thanks man

i was able to just drive right to their place in fort worth in person and pick up my unit and it was nice because i need a different heater control other than the stuff they sent me so i was able to just go get it vs waiting for the mail

i dont rem what year truck it came off from( i will research it though for you) because it was on there when i got the truck but it rubbed and seems the key was the proper lower pulley that i had order

i will get some pics of the belt setup later today as i have to go back up there because of my new wheel/ issues

it is still on the lift as i left the new tires there ( at garage where they charged the air system) because they had a lift and easier for them to change the wheels and i took the old ones and the new ones did not fit right so not its stuck on the lift lol
Old 06-13-2007, 06:59 AM   #10
Hart_Rod

Nice install! Where did the glove box insert come from?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:09 AM   #11
1970shortbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Nice install! Where did the glove box insert come from?
it came with my kit from old air