The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2002, 08:10 PM   #1
Newby 69 GMC

Unhappy Help with Advice

Hey Guys,

As you may know I am real new to restoring trucks, so I have been looking all over for parts and advice. Well I went to see a guy who sells new and used parts as well as entire southern trucks. It was a pretty discouraging visit. He basically told me that my truck was not worth restoring. He said that I will have more invested than it will be worth.

He asked me a few questions and although he has never seen my truck these are some points he made;

3/4 LWB - Lots around, not wanted
No Box - (I like wooden flat beds and that is what I will do)
Cab Rusted - Rockers, floor boards (not bad), Roof eaves trough, Head liner (from roof)
Needs trailing arms
Needs rims and tires

Some other key points which you might ask

350 small block with auto tranny
Frame OK
Front end OK (I think)
Only paid $100 Cdn

I guess that I am asking you to help me decide whether restore it or part it and be done.

Any additional things that I should check into before making this decision would also help.

(P.S. find picture to help)

Thanks

Attached Images

Also own

88 4X4 Toyota P/U
01 Toyota RAV 4
Newby 69 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 08:33 PM   #2
JHickson6
I Love This Stuff!

I would say part it out, because like you said they are not as desirable as other models, and the parts on it are worth well over what you paid for it. Take what you might need, sell the rest on the parts board. My 2 cents. No I'm not trying to convince you to sell it beacuse I want the parts off of it either.

Jared

My Rides
1967 C10 In Pieces for now
1985 Ford B700 SourPuss Bus - BIG BLUE
2003 Silverado CITY WORKER YELLOW!!
JHickson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 08:37 PM   #3
wnc mountain
More hobbies than money!

IMHO Tell that guy to go to... well, away. Its your truck you got it for a steel. If you like it go for it. there are very few restorations that are done that are worth what goes into them. If you are doing it yourself then it is not only the value of the truck that counts, its the satisfaction.
'72 Blazer project
wnc mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 08:42 PM   #4
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
well the statement of having more in it than what you can get for it maybe true. the question you need to answer is are you restoring because you like it or to re-sell it. I will have way more in mine than whats its worth but I don't care. I'd rather spend 18,000 and drive a truck that I love than spend 5000 on one that is just a truck...if you really love the truck no matter what is 3/4 ton flatbed or a 20,000 trailer queen... your opinion is the only one that counts afterall... it's your money
Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 08:56 PM   #5
dion
72 Cheyenne

I wouldn't take what he said to heart, that's his opinion. If that's the truck you want then restore it or part it and find another in better condition. I have a 3/4 LWB and it's worth over $10,000 of course I've made some major mods but it's the truck I choose and I love it.

By the way, I think that truck is cool as heck.
1966/67Stouts

Last edited by dion; 09-16-2002 at 09:00 PM.
dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 09:11 PM   #6
cableguy0

i hear people constantly say how can u put so much money into somethin like that and my respose is easily i enjoy the truck im happy everytime i drive its far from pretty but its fast and thats all that counts.i say if u like it and enjoy it keep it and have fun with it.besides what good is moneyu if u just save up a pile and then have nothing to show. to me i wo9uld rather enjoy the money i work hard to get
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 09:16 PM   #7
Dean23
68cst_ss490

Go with what you want to do. Don't let someone else ruin your dreams. If we all did that no one would have wicked street rods to cruise in. fix it the way you like and who cares what others think, you are gooing to have to drive it so do it how you want. I'm fixing my 68 the way I want to and I know wont get the money out of it that I put into it, but i will never sell my 68 I want to pass it on to my kids if I ever have any.
2005 Chevrolet Avalanche LT
cold air intake, performance exhaust, Comp cams cam, jba shorty ceramic headers.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3090973
Dean23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 09:23 PM   #8
68_GMC_910
what would Neal do?

yeah... I can relate because the voices in my head tell me that my truck isn't worth restoring, either... lol

my cab is rough, too... same with my fenders, bed, tailgate... the windows don't work that well (passenger side stuck one third of the way down and when I went to get the panel off to fix it, three of the five bolts/screws either broke, stripped or were totally wrong thread for the hole they were in... yay!), etc...

my truck only has a 3 speed manual and 250 straight six...! I wish I had a 350!

I paid $750 cdn! I'll probably pay another good wad just to get a 350 and tranny in there...
Old 09-16-2002, 10:28 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Help with Advice

Some ppl seem to think that if it is not a short bed 1/2 ton, it ain't worth anything. I say Bull.
If you plan on doing any real hauling, or real towing, you are better off with a 3/4 ton...try to get a U-haul traler with a 1/2 ton...you'll see what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally posted by Newby 69 GMC
3/4 LWB - Lots around, not wanted
No Box - (I like wooden flat beds and that is what I will do)
Cab Rusted - Rockers, floor boards (not bad), Roof eaves trough, Head liner (from roof)
Needs trailing arms
Needs rims and tires.
I'll take his words here and see what I can justify...
3/4 ton...real truck, not just a car with a open back.
no box...I prefer a bed, but if its what you want, you are labor ahead.
Cab..you have some work cut out for you...but for a few hundred and some time, you can replace/repair it.
Trailing arms...look on the parts board, I'll bet some one has some fairly cheap.
Rims and tires, liek you were planning on running stock rims, and tires, isn't that maintnance?
Sounds like he is letting his opinion cloud his judgment...and pushing away a potential valued customer.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 09-17-2002 at 07:12 AM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 06:44 AM   #10
Newby 69 GMC

Smile Thanks

Thanks Guys,

I kinda thought that is what you were going to say.

And Andy I hope to tow tractors with it so I kinda figured a 3/4 would be better.

I am still going to try to do as much investigation as to what requires repair before jumping head long into it, but I think I'll keep it.

Somebody should write a good article on what to look at and how to start doing a restore on these old trucks. All of your experiences really help us new guys.

Any other tips you can post as to where to start and what to look at would be great, for me and other new restorers.

Thanks Again

Trevor

Also own

88 4X4 Toyota P/U
01 Toyota RAV 4
Old 09-17-2002, 11:16 AM   #11
wlee
Just an Old Mr Goodwrench

A lot of folks would say I'm nuts for restoring my old beater, but it's a great truck and has been part of the family for a long time - plus, if you look at NADA's classic car site, you'll see how much these trucks are bringing:

Classic and Exotic Cars Consumer Pricing 1926 to 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHEVROLET

C20 PICKUP 3/4 TON
Model: FLEETSIDE
Weight: 3,901
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price: $2,665
Low Retail: $3,775
Average Retail: $6,075
High Retail: $21,700

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Optional Equipment
Add-Factory Air Conditioning: 5 %

Totals
Total Low Retail: $3,964
Total Average Retail: $6,379
Total High Retail: $22,785

If you like the truck, throw some money & TLC into it & enjoy the ride
1992 Mazda Miata
wlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 12:25 PM   #12
Blazer1970

Most people have more into their car/truck projects than they could sell them for. That guy is a dealer, so he has a very different perspective than the hobbyist. He needs to make money on his stuff, or he would be broke.
Old 09-17-2002, 01:07 PM   #13
Snowbound

If your cab is rusted up at the top over the windshield you might consider a different project. They recently came out with a patch panel for this area, but looks like it would be a very expensive repair, unless you do it yourself.

If you have the cash, look for a 3/4 camper special or big block truck. They will bring more $$ if you sell, and you will sell it some day. I can count on a few fingers the people who still have their project from 10-15 years ago. Something better will come along one day that you will just have to have.

Or use it as a daily driver and wait until a more desirable modle come along to restore. Just some options. Good luck!

Brian
1965 Chevy Short Box Stepside, 230 - 3 speed, 4:11 gears, original paint rust free survivor. Now sporting a 383 SBC and TKO-600
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 02:20 PM   #14
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

your truck looks better than mine did, or still does for that matter, I recently changed cabs and got rid of most of my rust, but there is still plenty to go around. (mines a K-10 short step that was originally a longbed). pics can be seen from the link in my sig.

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 02:27 PM   #15
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Sounds to me like the guy had an agenda, I don't suppose he a: offered to take it off your hands or b: tried to sell you one of his trucks?

How can he diagnose some of those problems without even seeing the truck? Psychic powers? Crystal Ball?

With ingenuity, perseverance and hard work a restoration of any vehicle can be done to a budget, particularly if you just want a good solid working vehicle, it's going faster and handling better that can cost big bucks. You are lucky being in North America, I am in the UK and parts are that much more expensive here, just been quoted $71 to ship a $61 dollar part to me and there are very few Chevys in scrapyards here.

Do what you feel is right for you.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 03:47 PM   #16
RodC

Drive the heck outa the one you got, find another to restore.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:06 PM   #17
COBALT

Don't be discouraged. Basically in my opinion there's 4 different types of 67-72 Chevy/GMC owners:

1. Fanatics. In this case you don't give a sh!t what anyone says about cost, or the "investment" you just want to have fun, and if the truck ends up costing $30,000 over 15 years so what? They can be dualies, lowerd cruisers, farm trucks, panels and burbs, hot rods, and mudders. This is about 60% of the people on the board.

2. The serious restorer. This is the guy who drafts up a budget, already has part suppliers lined up, has a schedule 1 year in advance, and can restore the truck, show it, and sell it for less than he put into it. Very rare individuals, but they have a HUGE amount of experience and resources. They also work on other kinds of truck all the way back as far as 1914. That's a tiny percentage, like 1% at most.

3. The business man. Related to #1 these are people who have discovered some way to enjoy their trucks AND make some $ at the same time. This makes up about 10% of the board, and represents our best parts suppliers. I consider them in a different category because their loyalties are split between their projects and their businesses.

4. Basic truck owners. Guys who own 67-72s, but just drive them. They may not have the $, time, and energy to restore a tuck, and they might not want to anyway. They fix what's broken, and keep on truckin' - 29%.

I see you in category #1 along with a bunch of us. Therefore, don't get too wrapped up in thinking this is an "investment". The amount of money you'll spend without the experience and resources will greatly outweigh the possible sale value of the truck. The good news is that you'll learn priceless experience, and you'll have a cool truck as well.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 06:59 PM   #18
Newby 69 GMC

Thanks again.

I think Cobalt might have us figured. I think I am going to do a little necessary work and some investigation on the truck before the snow flys. And do lots of research and pricing over the winter so that next spring I will either jump in or sell it. I don't think I would have the heart to part her out, just to pretty for that.

(Ol' Buck I PMed you about your mods)

I am sure I will ask more questions in the future. Until then I will be reading and learning.

Trevor

Also own

88 4X4 Toyota P/U
01 Toyota RAV 4