The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2007, 07:02 PM   #1
Ackattack

Getting ready to start frame off

I haven't been here for awhile as I've been busy building a house (moved in in Feb.) and everything that goes along with that.

But now that I have the garage squared away and other car projects done (long arm suspension for the jeep and clutch/rearend upgrade for the corvette) It's time to start on the truck.

What I'm starting with:
72 GMC 2wd LWB, leaf spring suspension, TPI 350, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73s and eaton limited slip, 17" TT2 and more stuff. I've owned this truck since 97 and have put a lot of time into it, but always keeping it on the road for the most part. It was my daily driver through HS and half of college. I managed to get it painted while in college back in 99. Now, 8 years later, it is showing signs of its age and setting outside for the most part.

So here's the plan: Overall it's going to be a show truck/bracket racer with a hint of pro-touring. So I'm planning on:

Get a different frame. I want a short bed and I want coil suspension. If I can find a shortbed frame, great, but otherwise I will just cut down another frame.

I'm shooting for running in the 12s and figure ~400 RWHP will get me there. Now I could build up the TPI 350 and get there, but it costs a lot of money. It has to be fuel injected though (to stick with the pro touring theme) so I'll be going with a 6.0L Gen III engine backed by a 4L60E. A simple cam and headers will get me pretty darn close to 400RWHP out of the box and I'm sure it will be a lot more reliable than a 400RWHP TPI 350...that's a pretty radical 350 for a street driven vehicle.

I'll probably stay with 17" wheels, but different type and width (315/35/17 or wider) out back. (I'll have some slicks for the track)

I'm going to run airbags, not that I want it to scrape the ground or anything, but just cause I can

I'm going to go with a 67-68 grill to get rid of the little trim that goes on the front of the fenders and make it all look smooth....so I'll probably have to go with a 67-68 hood too......so I might as well get a 2" cowl induction right?

Rear discs, rear swaybar, relocate the gas tank to the bed, late model bench seat, In dash navigation system, electric window and locks.

So basically that's it, other than the standard frame off restoration. I'm hoping I can get this all done in about 2 years.

Some would say that that I'm crazy based on how my truck looks right now (pretty nice from 20 feet). But right now its not what I want.

One of my "complaints" is that there are not really any true performance front suspensions for the trucks other than an after market front clip. No one (that I know of anyways) makes control arms with handling in mind. Most are just geared towards lowering. I guess maybe I'll have to come up with my own modifications to get what I'm looking for.

Let me know what you think!
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
71tahoe

Re: Getting ready to start frame off

Do a search for Porterbuilt. He is a site vendor and makes an awesome C4 dropmember.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
71tahoe

BTW ... look forward to seeing more pics. I always enjoy it when someone does something different.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

All sounds GR8 but, you are gonna hear alot of this:
J/K
I had to

You have some of the same ideas that I do but, mine will probably take me ten years

Just remember we really really like pic's, and no they are not madatory but well liked.

Keep us posted I will be watching for sure.

RJ22...

SUBSCRIBE HEREBOARD VENDORS HERE

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!

Last edited by RACINJASON22; 06-18-2007 at 07:29 PM.
RACINJASON22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:55 PM   #5
Ackattack

Here are some pics

Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote