The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

4 speed swap

Im pondering aquiring a 84 swb stepside.

I want to know how much modification is need to install a borg warner super t10 4 speed from a 78 trans am is, Also what shifter works (would like a hurst super comp) and how much modification it would take. its setup for an auto, but have connections to a 81 pedal assembly and booster, as well as tilt column. Were some 84s headlight kcikdown on the floor? thanks

Ryan Spencer

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
Pyrotechnic

Re: 4 speed swap

Some clutch pedals and linkages were mechanical while others were hydraulic, make sure you get the right one. Also, you need to rewire the auto trans neutral safety switch to the clutch safety switch.

Of course, you need to cut a hole in the floor for the shifter as well. Make sure your driveshaft lengths are going to end up the same, otherwise you will need to get yours shortened or lengthened.

Cross memebers may be different too. Maybe someone else can fill this gap on whether cross members are shared between auto and manual transmissions.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:10 PM   #3
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Truck doesnt have a driveshaft, so i can go anywhere i want with it.

I know the floor needed to be cut.

Woud like some info on shifter used, and crossmember used. thanks guys

My name tag says Ryan

Old 06-20-2007, 08:48 PM   #4
benoit454
Chris

Any shifter for a t10 would work, just depends on the mounting bracket used to mount it on the transmission and then the length of the handle so you can actually reach it.

Aftermarket shifter handles/sticks can be bought in various lengths, and I know some of the hurst kits are made for trucks with car transmission conversion. Just go to summit racing and look for shifters or install kits.

Might take some surfing but I remember seeing shifter install kits for comp plus hurst shifters I think for trucks with a car saginaw or brog warner trans.

That's the biggest part is the install kit, if you get the wrong one, then the shifter will be under the bench seat, if you want to install buckets, then get any kit you want, and you'll be fine.

I don't think the hydraulic clutch setups came out until 86, not sure though for trucks anyways.

I think you'd be able to use one anyways but would need a hydro bellhousing for a t-10.

As for mech clutch, you need to get the brake and clutch pedals, upper and lower pushrods, make sure you get the bellhousing and a clutch fork with the trans., you need the frame z bar bracket, z bar, or bellcrank some ppl call it different things, you need the frame side ballstud and the block side ball stud that screws into the block. That might require you to move the oil pressure sender or switch if it's mounted over top of the oil filter.

You'll need the clutch pedal return spring and the z bar or clutch fork return spring, or find one that would work.

of course you need the flywheel, clutch pressure plate, throwout bearing, and crankshaft pilot bearing, unless for some reason there's one already installed in the engine, that would only be the case if someone got it from another truck and put in there or had a standard shift in it at one time.

I'd recomend you buy a new clutch kit, and have the flywheel resurfaced if possible, if not then you'll need one that will work and can be resurfaced, or buy a new one.

Nothing like going through all the trouble of putting it together to find out the clutch is bad, slips or chatters or something. Just to take it all back apart and change it.

Now as for lengths, I'm pretty sure that transmission would be the same length as a saginaw car 4 speed, and the sag 4 speed is the same length as both a short tail th350 auto. and a 3 speed saginaw, found in alot of the older trucks, column shift mainly, unless floor converted by an owner.

I know this because I had a 76 3 on the tree, saginaw 3 speed, blew it up, got a 74 camaro saginaw 4 speed, swapped it in, took that motor and trans and put in my monte carlo, put a th350 short tail in it. They bolted up the same and same length, same driveshaft.

So I'd look for a truck with a short tail 6 inch shaft th350, saginaw 3 speed, probably on the column, or something someones converted over to another car 4 speed or floor shift 3 speed.

You can EASILY tell the difference, the sm465's or factory 4 speed trucks, granny low's or 3+1's as some call them have a very long shifter and it's hole comes out way up on the tunnel almost under the dash.

Not sure if a driveshaft with a factory truck four speed would work, maybe, as would most of the stick shift parts, minus the shifter.

Also not quite sure if you'd need the high hump trans tunnel or not. I can't remember if my 76 had the high hump or not, it just depends on if the transmission would hit the floor or not, probably not being a car 4 speed.

As for a crossmember, yours may work, just need the right mount, or you need ones from again a factory 3 speed stick shift or th350 truck.

Some of the small misc. overlooked pieces you might want or maybe they do have maybe they don't would be a clutch pedal stop, I know some you can remove, if you just take the pedal, others are made on the bracket the pedals bolt to, so not sure on it, it just stops the pedal from coming way back up further then the brake pedal.

Also the firewall upper pushrod dust boot, just to keep dirt out of the cab and water. I think you can get them new.

As for neutral safety or clutch safety switch, alot of trucks don't have them or at least old ones, some get bypassed, and so can yours, but you really should consider hooking it up. That way the truck cannot be started in gear without having the clutch pushed in or in neutral. So it's a good idea to find out what you need to change that over so you don't roll through something on accident.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Ive got clutch part availability from a 81-83 3/4 ton 4x4, thats everything teh truck would of had orignally exc bellhousing

the truck is a 84 swb stepside 350/th350 orig with no driveshaft, has corssmemeber.

My name tag says Ryan

Old 06-20-2007, 10:45 PM   #6
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

anyone have a build thread with this swap on here?

My name tag says Ryan

Old 06-20-2007, 11:55 PM   #7
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

I have swapped to a 4 speed. I think benoit454 covered it all...
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:28 AM   #8
shadetree

I've also swapped to a "car-type" 4 speed, many times. Most need a long shifter from a bench seat 55-57 Chevy car. The T-10 you have should be the regualr throw out bearing. You need a bellhousing & clutch linkage, and the pedal assembly. Any Chevy/GMC truck from the 60's up will fit. The rear crossmember I've used is the "double hump" one that a TH350 trans used. I'm sure others will work. A middle crossmember was used, on "stick" trucks. This bolted to the frame & mounted the tabs on the truck bellhousing. Most sticks used this crossmember, and NOT the rear-most trans crossmember. Driveshaft lengths are same as well as the yokes, for 99% of the transmissions in the half ton trucks, Ain't GM nice? If you have trouble finding some of this stuff, or want pictures, pm me, I'll try to help.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:56 AM   #9
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

the chrossmemeber is what im wondering about. I have the one for a th350, same as i have in my 77 2wd heavy half. Ive done the swap in chevelles and camaros, but never a truck. So a 55 chevy shifter will work? keep in mind i may put buckets in her and make a custom center console.

My name tag says Ryan

Old 06-21-2007, 08:09 AM   #10
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

This the shifter, and what style of crossmember should i get? ive got the X member that bolts to the bottom of the frame, and it has two seperate brackets that go from the xmember to the top of the frame. I can get pics of what i have, or if i can get pics of what i need. Thx guys

My name tag says Ryan

Old 06-21-2007, 10:53 AM   #11
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

You can use the stock TH350 trans crossmember, it is the same as a TH400/700R4/manual 3 speed crossmember.

If you have a bench seat, you need that shifter handle. I used a Hurst competition Plus with mine that came off a Chevelle, but I had buckets.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:55 PM   #12
benoit454
Chris

Yea you'll need a shifter like that for the truck install, that's what the 3 speed conversion shifters look like also from hurst, indy 3 speed I think.

They also bolt the shifter further up on the transmission then normal cars do, that's why I said the install kit for a truck is needed. if you can't find it I can look, but since it's for a tri5 chevy with bench it may work.

I have a picture of the shifter setup I'm talking about, it was a 3 speed shifter, and was a floor shift conversion, and is now on top of a saginaw car 4 speed, the shifter moutning and install kit for a car 4 speed in a truck would be the same.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote