The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2007, 09:12 PM   #1
SCOTI

Inlet On Fabricated Gas Tank Question

My short steel floor has that one rear bed 'runner' that interferes w/the filler inlet when swapping in a Blazer gas tank. I notched the runner & it clears the tank just fine, but the inlet exits directly into the area dedicated for the bolt that secures the bed.

I've decided to seal the original inlet & relocate a new one on the back side of the tank. There will be a 90° turn @ the floor where I plan to have the gas cap mounted & another @ the tank. Other than those bends, it's a straight shot. While I'm relocating the inlet, I thought it would be a good opportunity to increase the size too.

So that brings me to the question @ hand: What size/diameter is the 'common' fuel hose that's used to connect the gas cap 'hard lines' to the tank? I remember reading somewhere that some tanks have a hard to find fuel hose size so I'm trying to avoid that & weld in a common (easy to obtain) hose size. My 74 has a small hose & it's a pain in the arse when filling the truck @ the gas station..... so I'm hoping to go larger.

Thanks in advance.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:26 PM   #2
WinDancer
The Original HotRod KnifeMaker

Re: Inlet On Fabricated Gas Tank Question

I went to a marine supply shop and bought the Coast Guard approved rubber fuel hose along with the same sized filler tube and cap], then a muffler shop for the filler ends. Think the hose is 1.75 inch.
The steel exhaust tubing was a tiny bit undersized, so I cut lengths from a bicycle inner tube and put that over the steel- then had a good, snug fit that clamped up solid and hasn't leaked a drop.
Please post a few pics when you get it finished
Old 06-21-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
Hart_Rod

I would check with NAPA or another local parts store and see what they carry. I think 2" is pretty common. Plus, you can always make the steel neck match the bigger hose by taking it to the exhaust shop to get it expanded. That's what I did on my 69 Suburban.

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 06-21-2007 at 08:00 AM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
I would check with NAPA or another local parts store and see what they carry. I think 2" is pretty common. Plus, you can always make the steel neck match the bigger hose by taking it to the exhaust shop to get it expanded. That's what I did on my 69 Suburban.
I plan to merge this fabbed filler pipe w/a stock in-cab gas tank neck which is 2"O.D. so 2" I.D. hose seems to be the size I want/need.

As long as I can find the right size hose, I should be good to go. My inlet piping will be made from scrap stainless from my work & 2" 90° elbows + a small section of straight pipe would be easy to find.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 06-21-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
cdowns

i'd think 2 90degree turns and a short connector will make it very difficult to fill with the gas nozzele shutting off every few seconds
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:45 AM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
i'd think 2 90degree turns and a short connector will make it very difficult to fill with the gas nozzele shutting off every few seconds
How many 'under the bed' type gas tanks out there have a straight shot from the filler opening to the tank w/o having the gas cap/inlet in the center of the bed floor?

I was going to mount the filler neck in the bad (against the inner bed wall) so the pipe has to turn toward the tank @ some point. The straight section from the 90 (after the filler neck) would prob be about 8~10" & then it has to 'turn' again to discharge into the tank. The bend @ the tank may not need to be a 90.... but it's prob going to need something.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 06-21-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:57 AM   #7
ChevyDude

Most of the deck style fillers are for 1 1/2" filler hose. My FuelCellGuy tank has a 2" inlet. I am going from 1 1/2" deck fill to a 90 degree 1 1/2" filler hose joined to 2" filler hose and into the tank. In order to make the 90 degree "No problem" while filling... I am going to build a small box the will sit in the rear of the bed and will elevate the deck fill maybe 6"...so that the 90 is just under the bed and a straight shot from ther to the tank. My 1 1/2" pop up filler deck mount arrives today, so I will be doing this immediately. Gates that makes 1 1/2" and 2" 90 degree and 45 degree filler hose pieces. I am using one of there 90's.

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/sear...++++++++++++++

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4

Last edited by ChevyDude; 06-21-2007 at 10:10 AM.
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:08 AM   #8
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

I think a sweeping bend will be better than a 90* bend. Let gravity do the work of getting the fuel to the tank. Just think fluid dynamics when designing it. There is a LOT of fuel coming from modern high-flow pumps.

You can move the Blazer tank back a few inches to avoid that crossmember too, but it's a step in the right direction getting rid of that 1 1/4" neck... If you're raising the bed floor, it should be a moot point. -Chris

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:37 AM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
I think a sweeping bend will be better than a 90* bend. Let gravity do the work of getting the fuel to the tank. Just think fluid dynamics when designing it. There is a LOT of fuel coming from modern high-flow pumps.

You can move the Blazer tank back a few inches to avoid that crossmember too, but it's a step in the right direction getting rid of that 1 1/4" neck... If you're raising the bed floor, it should be a moot point. -Chris
Even with the bed floor raised, that bed runner is in the way.

I'll look @ it again.... maybe I can get away w/a bend under the bed-floor (possibly reduced to a 45°) & try to align the remaining pipe for a straight shot to the 'corner' of the top of the tank (since I can put the tank inlet wherever it will fit & works best).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 06-21-2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:42 AM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyDude View Post
Most of the deck style fillers are for 1 1/2" filler hose. My FuelCellGuy tank has a 2" inlet. I am going from 1 1/2" deck fill to a 90 degree 1 1/2" filler hose joined to 2" filler hose and into the tank. In order to make the 90 degree "No problem" while filling... I am going to build a small box the will sit in the rear of the bed and will elevate the deck fill maybe 6"...so that the 90 is just under the bed and a straight shot from ther to the tank. My 1 1/2" pop up filler deck mount arrives today, so I will be doing this immediately. Gates that makes 1 1/2" and 2" 90 degree and 45 degree filler hose pieces. I am using one of there 90's.

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/sear...++++++++++++++
My plan is to use stainless pipe for all transitions. I will only be using short sections of straight hose to connect the 'fill pipe' to the inlet neck & @ the tank inlet. Basically... all hard 2" pipe + the straight rubber unions.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG