The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2007, 07:05 AM   #1
Thealien

Buyers remorse!!

About ten years ago I owned a 1972 GMC Jimmy and loved that truck but eventually sold it. I had been looking for a 1972 Blazer/Jimmy for quite a while. They were either too far away, rusty, or too expensive. I recently found a local 1972 GMC Jimmy that has been owned by the same guy for 16 years. It appeared to be rust free (After buying I found a little rot on the passenger fllor/kick panel) It is originally an AC (everything there not working, controls move and all the vacuum actuators appear functional)and posi rear end. It is my fault I missed some things on this truck but I am feeling buyers remorse. I just wanted a convertible truck to enjoy in the summer. I expected to do a full tune up and change all fluids. Upon closer inspection I have found.........

The passenger floor/kick panel rot.

Overcharge condition (not running battery puts out 17.5 volts)

Truck has been hit and front fenders grill and radiator support all need to be aligned/adjusted to fit right. (noticed before buying but it is worse than originally thought)

Flex plate missing teeth

U bolts loose on rear axle

Needs tie rod end

Wrong 1971 door panels in a 1972 (new this when buying)

Front driveshaft needs rebuilding.

Leaking out of transfer case. (new this when buying)

Now I find a kink in the frame, not too bad could be from accident or someone using a tow cable attached to frame to pull it??

I paid $9500 (knowing GMC's are worth a little more)

I don't have a garage so until it is running right and I can drive it and work on some of the interior and alignment issues. I'll have to pay my mechanic to fix a few things I want him to take care of a full tune up, change all fluids, and fix the leaks. I guess I'll have him do the flex plate also.

So did I pay too much?

Here are a couple of pictures. You can see the unrestored bottom edge of the doors, I was surprised to find the floor rot, the rest of the body looked great except for the alignment issues.
Attached Images

Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Buyers remorse!!

Really,I think you did ok.You have to plunk down some serious change to get one that has survived so well.It`s all fixable.It`s not restored,but in excellant-acceptional condition.There will always be things to address on any older vehicle.I always find things I didn`t see once I buy a truck.I always get some remorse on the more costly ones.But,when I sell an unrestored truck,and I price fairly,and lookers start pointing out flaws I tell them it`s a 30+ year old unrestored machine that is in a condition you won`t find on every corner.If you want low maitainence buy something new or go to Carmax.
That`s a real nice Jimmy,even better.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
larry may

Nine thousand five hundred dollars, 9,500 dollars, $9,500.00 Needs work . Want to buy another one? Just kidding have fun.

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

I wouldn't be too bummed, as Special-K stated you have a 30+ year old truck and you will have issues. It is a sizable chunk of $, but you do have a really nice truck that I believe is worth every penny.

2009 4x4 Chevy Crew Cab 6.0
1989 4x4 Siverado (270,000 miles)
1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton
1970 Corvette (sons project)

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09
Chevyman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:33 AM   #5
manimal

I agree with special-K...Very Nice!
-Lance
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #6
10.5stang

NICE JOB! those are hard to find. enjoy it and i promise someone would love to have it. in the first month you drive it ten people will ask if its for sale.
10.5stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:41 AM   #7
lks dcvn

Thumbs up Re: Buyers remorse!!

Well - mixed results here-

The emotional upswing of 'hey - I just got a truck that I have been looking for after all this time...' makes a shift to the downward swing of 'what have I got myself into..." I am almost positive that many people who have bought an older car to work on has a feeling like that at one point or another. Read this forum - you hear it a LOT. I can say - It has happened to me...

First of all - Welcome to the forum and congrats on your find and your purchase. It does take some time to locate a solid truck to start with...at least one that is worth working on...

Second - (I don't know where you live), so it it difficult to say if the price is steep. It really is a seasonal and geographical market for these trucks. I searched in my area (MidWest) and nothing in this area was without major rust and they all had elevated prices...I searched for mine in the NorthWest and SouthWest until I found one in WA state.

Third - one of the joys of having an older truck is that they are relatively easy to work on (within reason) - I am no mechanical genius, but I do have the will to learn how to do things right and if there are some major things that you need help with - many members of this board can provide assistance or have some parts laying around that they often sell to get you on the road again.

Fourth - another joy of having an older truck is that they provide a steady stream of 'what can I do next moments' - as in - I could always work on getting it running, or I could start looking at getting that rust fixed up, etc. I enjoy that aspect since in the summer I always like to be outdoors doing something...if I have nothing but time to allocate to the rig - I just wash it and put a coat of wax on it.

Fifth - I you searched high and low for your new Blazer - you may be intending to keep it for awhile - that means that you don't have to do everything at once - a bit here and bit there will get it to where YOU need it to be. If you intended to just enjoy it this summer (you must be in a seasonal part of the states) - your plan may be delayed a bit...there is always next summer.

I know it is easy for me (across the internet) to say - no big deal, or it will all work out - but as I reflect on my life and the things that I got frustrated about or concerned about - cars, women, money, career, etc. - with a bit of patience and some time - you start to see how little things matter in the big picture.

My opinion - enjoy your new Jimmy (and get us some more pictures so we can see what you got there)!

Tom

Last edited by lks dcvn; 06-21-2007 at 09:43 AM.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:21 AM   #8
butzkeg

Ahh, not a bad deal really. That truck is in nice condition, which ups the price. Not too mention, mostly original which keeps the cost up. It's nice having a truck without any major issues to take care of, but they will always be old and have things pop-up. Although the kink in the frame could be iffy.

You have to be johnny-on-the-spot, first one there, etc. in order to get a "steal". Plus have a motivated or sometimes less-knowledgable seller, IMO. A couple of us in Michigan, jojotonka and myself have gotten good deals on realtively rust free trucks. I think jojotonka's was stored, mine was somewhat restored (the PO replaced all the sheetmetal). Mine will find a new home eventually, and should be a fair deal for the next guy anyway.

Just enjoy it. You could always do better or worse, but can't change what you did.
butzkeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:00 PM   #9
Thealien

Thanks guys I apreciate the replies. I spent some time with my mechanic today (he is more anal than myself) and the frame issue is not as bad as he described. The side of the frame does not appear to be bent. Just behind the transfer case mount the bottom lip is bent down like somebody tried pulling the truck sideways by the frame?? I am pretty sure it will be fixable?

I do not have a garage I can work in I am a backyard mechanic, figuratively and litterally.

I do have a mig welder, air tools, a sandblast cabinet and think I can keep this truck running for years to come.

At the moment there is too much and I am overwhelmed!

With a few repairs by my mechanic friend the top will come off and yes I will enjoy my truck.

I will take and post more pictures when I can.

I am from Mass.

Thanks again
Mark
Old 06-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #10
DURRTY
USMC

It looks nice from the pics. As long as thats all metal on the floor, rockers firewall ...... and not bondo or filler its a real nice ride.
Something that is this old and a 4X4 that proabally has had a good beating or 5 in its life is not going to be perfect at almost any price.

Remember its only metal it can be bent cut, beat and welded back into shape.

You can win the metal will give in to you!! LOL I live in Utah and there is nothing but rust here a jimmy(blazer) like that would go for at least 10grand around here.

I have remorse and guilt once a day(LOL also excitement everyone probably feels this even if they have done it before) with mine and Im not into it half of what you paid yet. But also once its done and running all the BS will go away and it will be all good.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:09 PM   #11
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
Just behind the transfer case mount the bottom lip is bent down like somebody tried pulling the truck sideways by the frame?? I am pretty sure it will be fixable?
That should be no big deal at all - doubt it even needs to be addressed - can you get a pic of that area?

Like I said on the other site, that is a nice Jimmy. Relax and enjoy it. The things you list are fixable and we can help you as you go along.

Oh, welcome!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:46 PM   #12
Thealien

I plan on taking some pics soon,. maybe next weekend?

I can't wait to get the top off and drive!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:22 PM   #13
69TowRig

It will take every bit of $9500 to make mine look as good as yours does, and even at that level it will still have issues.

You have a REALLY nice truck there, throw the remorse out the window. I think you have a pretty short list of gripes all things considered. I knew I was buying a rolling pile of junk when I bought mine, I get discouraged and leave it alone for a while at times. Then days like yesterday I fire it up and take it around the block to remind myself that it will be a great rig one day (great = pretty much as nice as yours), and all is well again.

We need some pics out in the sunshine!
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:29 PM   #14
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69TowRig View Post
It will take every bit of $9500 to make mine look as good as yours does, and even at that level it will still have issues.

You have a REALLY nice truck there, throw the remorse out the window. I think you have a pretty short list of gripes all things considered. I knew I was buying a rolling pile of junk when I bought mine, I get discouraged and leave it alone for a while at times. Then days like yesterday I fire it up and take it around the block to remind myself that it will be a great rig one day (great = pretty much as nice as yours), and all is well again.

We need some pics out in the sunshine!
same here...My truck probably needs $9500 in rust repair and paint.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:48 PM   #15
vtblazer

Consider this...if you had found/bought a jimmy that didn't need any attention the price would have been double what you paid.

Welcome to the board, enjoy the ride.

Last edited by vtblazer; 06-22-2007 at 08:50 AM.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:13 PM   #16
trkklr77
Account Suspended

Location: vacaville ca, because it as far from indy as i can be

is this the granny only owned ride that lfd posted up earlier this week? if not it is incredibaly similar!!!
trkklr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:19 PM   #17
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkklr77 View Post
is this the granny only owned ride that lfd posted up earlier this week? if not it is incredibaly similar!!!
No that was nicer and two wheel drive, mine is 4X4
Old 06-22-2007, 12:47 AM   #18
jimmypop

When did GMC become more valuable???
jimmypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:55 AM   #19
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypop View Post

When did GMC become more valuable???

NADA blue book
Old 06-22-2007, 07:50 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

Rarity.GMCs are more rare in general.But with Jimmys,there were only 3 years,not 4 like the Blazer.
Like VT Blazer said,the price goes up from there.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:35 AM   #21
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

GMC's, although more rare, generally aren't worth more. The fact is that "Blazer" is more the name brand thus creates more demand elevating the price. The only way a Jimmy would be worth more is if you were compairing 100% original restorations and and selling to collector car investors. Otherwise, they are basically worth about the same.

The NADA, KBB, etc., don't give proper values for our rigs. They generally price the 4wds higher than the 2wds, which is the complete opposite.

That being said, Take the top off and drive it around. Your satisfaction quota will increase 200%. You'll get offers on a daily basis, just don't give in to temptation.

What you paid seems to be on the high end, but they aren't making any more of these trucks. With every rig you see being parted out, rusted away or wrecked, the value of the suvivors increases. The amount of rust you describe is repairable. The mechanical issues are easy fixes. You didn't buy it for the mechanics, you bought it for the body style.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:43 PM   #22
Thealien

I'm not one to argue with the experts. Could you show me some comparable ads for blazers/Jimmy's both with automatics and AC

Or how about just a couple of Jimmy's that are a better value than I got?
Old 06-22-2007, 02:09 PM   #23
crzngmychvy
"1972 C5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncytruck View Post
GMC's, although more rare, generally aren't worth more. The fact is that "Blazer" is more the name brand thus creates more demand elevating the price. The only way a Jimmy would be worth more is if you were compairing 100% original restorations and and selling to collector car investors. Otherwise, they are basically worth about the same.

The NADA, KBB, etc., don't give proper values for our rigs. They generally price the 4wds higher than the 2wds, which is the complete opposite.

That being said, Take the top off and drive it around. Your satisfaction quota will increase 200%. You'll get offers on a daily basis, just don't give in to temptation.

What you paid seems to be on the high end, but they aren't making any more of these trucks. With every rig you see being parted out, rusted away or wrecked, the value of the suvivors increases. The amount of rust you describe is repairable. The mechanical issues are easy fixes. You didn't buy it for the mechanics, you bought it for the body style.

Well said for sure.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:19 PM   #24
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

look at mine (link in signature.) I paid just slightly less than you did about 4 years ago. The soft top came a year later.

Here are a couple others - http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/car/357020455.html
This one has a lot of issues that raise red flags with me. It was for sale a couple weeks ago at a car lot. The side moldings aren't lame roll on stuff and I remember several other issues that made me ponder the quality of the "restoration" and the integrity of the seller. No A/C either.

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...0/89329270.htm

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...8/89299498.htm

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...0/89333930.htm

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...1/89120931.htm

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...5/89299505.htm

This one should make you feel good...
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...4/89333574.htm

Notice the color of the firewall on this one.
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...8/87929398.htm

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...5/89333865.htm

http://ww2.collectorcartraderonline....9/89247389.htm

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...1/89331031.htm
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #25
Thealien

I've spoke with every one of those ads. They are all saved in my collector car favorites.

The orange GMC from mississippi is a 4 spd no AC nice truck I have many pictures. I really considered that one.

The closest was the green 72 Jimmy in I believe OK No AC been for sale for a couple of months. Fresh paint supposedly no rust.

Part of the problem with lots of those is I either buy sight unseen and add 1000-1500 for shipping or I fly out there and if I don't buy that one my frequent flier miles will grow quickly as will the cost.

Out of all those ads ther were a couple close but again shiping?

There were a couple of nice ones in the $15,000 range and when all is said and done they might have been a better deal but I am still back to adding 1000-1500 for shipping??

And like many on this thread have said no matter how nice one of those trucks is it is still 35 years old and will need something.

All but three were blazers. The one Jimmy for $15000 was/is Nice

I didn't see too many auto AC trucks in my price range without a good amount of rust. The OK one was probably the closest. But no AC ??

You think any of those were a better deal?