The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
guf

Where do i stop?

I got a donor truck to pull the automatic transmission out with the engine---and was going to use the steering column also. Once i pulled the engine out of the receiving truck and had the front clip off I decided to paint the firewall. So now i have to pick a paint color( some sorta of light blue--any suggestions?) And now I'll need a paint gun. The donor truck has better front fenders. So i needed new inner fenders and radiator support so i ordered them from ece. Since i was getting truck freight i wanted to fill the pallet so got a drop kit, and with the front clip off it should be easy to install right? Ordered new patch panels for the cab and body mounts and new rubber for under the truck. And also with the front clip off it seems a heck of a lot easier to to patch the front end. the frame is easily to seal now so i want to put some pore 15 on there. I have a new wire harness and wonder if i should install it now or wait to later but the wiring was a mess so i don't know....

i just started 4 days ago and this is my first project. i was hoping to get it all up and running by next week. i wanted it to be a drivable restoration and also a daily driver. ---but as i get more and more into it I realize that i have to just stop taking it a part and get it running again. But where do i stop?
guf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
FlatBrokeRacing

Re: Where do i stop?

Stop where you are.
Step away from the tools.......I'm just kiddin with ya.

I would like to offer you some advice that I did not follow myself..
Sit down and write up a plan of action and stick to it. The first thing to do to the trucks in question, Then the second and so on.
It sortta like a "Honeydoo" list for your trucks.

Hope that helps.
FlatBrokeRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
estig70

Quote:
Originally Posted by guf View Post
I got a donor truck to pull the automatic transmission out with the engine---and was going to use the steering column also. Once i pulled the engine out of the receiving truck and had the front clip off I decided to paint the firewall. So now i have to pick a paint color( some sorta of light blue--any suggestions?) And now I'll need a paint gun. The donor truck has better front fenders. So i needed new inner fenders and radiator support so i ordered them from ece. Since i was getting truck freight i wanted to fill the pallet so got a drop kit, and with the front clip off it should be easy to install right? Ordered new patch panels for the cab and body mounts and new rubber for under the truck. And also with the front clip off it seems a heck of a lot easier to to patch the front end. the frame is easily to seal now so i want to put some pore 15 on there. I have a new wire harness and wonder if i should install it now or wait to later but the wiring was a mess so i don't know....

i just started 4 days ago and this is my first project. i was hoping to get it all up and running by next week. i wanted it to be a drivable restoration and also a daily driver. ---but as i get more and more into it I realize that i have to just stop taking it a part and get it running again. But where do i stop?

stop where you are RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I suffer from this very fever. the only cure is too give me some of that MONEY you been spending.

deffinately sounds like you have the bug, but take my advice, you'd better slow down a bit before you get burned out, good luck on the build and I will speak for everyone on here........................

Eric
estig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

"Where do I stop?"
Dude, that's like asking the dope fiend "how do I quit?"
You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave....

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Last edited by Brad; 06-21-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

Priorities first. What do you need versus what do you want. I'vealso found it helpful to let a friend look at my "honey-do" list. Sometimes it's better to put it all back together, get 'er running then look again at your list. It's easier to maintain a positive outlook if you can drive the truck instead of it sittting in pieces in the garage. Just my thoughts.
and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
bills67

It never stops.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #7
Captain Knievel

Do one thing at a time and do it right. There's nothing worse than having something take a month to complete, except having 10 things going on at the same time that never get complete. Learn from the wise men and women on this forum. Most have been there, done that on every aspect of these trucks.