The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2007, 10:47 PM   #1
xshadow

Rust help Please..fixable or not?

I just picked up a 70 3/4 ton. The cab floor looks good for being in VA. NO rust in the cab corners and the rockers are original and just started to rust. (Texas truck) but there's rust in the channel above the doors of the cab. It is where the channel curves to wrap around to the side of the cab from the windshield. It's in the curve on both sides the rest of the channel looks good but it is the entire curve. I haven’t started to pick at it yet to see how bad it is. It doesn't look good because if you open the door and look at the underneath side it has rust that I haven't messed with yet. Someone in the past filled the channel with silicone thus I can't see how bad it is.
There is also one pin hole of rust that is hardly noticeable inside the cab above the windshield. Is this fixable. The rest of the cab really is in good condition. I would hate to loose it. What would you do? IF I look for another cab it would be hard to find one with a great floor and cab corners. Should I use a wire brush on a drill and fill it with bondo? How could I prevent the pin hole from getting worse (above the windshield?

Last edited by xshadow; 06-24-2007 at 10:55 PM. Reason: ?
xshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
dan42

Re: Rust help Please..fixable or not?

dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
xshadow

I know I know.... but I don't have pics. I don't have a camera other than my cell phone. The truck is't even parked at my house. I tried to explain where the rust is but that's the best I can do. If I buy a camera it will be less money for the truck!
Old 06-24-2007, 11:09 PM   #4
jeffspower
Well, Whoop-dee-do!

Don't use bondo for filling rust holes! it attracts & holds moisture. Welding in new steel, and sealing everything up good, is the only way the repair will last. I had a '67 cab years ago like yours, it still had paint on the cab supports, and didn't even need rockers! But rust where you describe & behind the sun visors. I sold it to a guy along with a good roof, I think he was going to chop the top anyway.

'72 K20 500 Cad/TH400/NP205 SOLD

'92 Chevy 2500 6.5 mech TD 4L80E crusty daily driver

'72 Monte Carlo... sweet low mile toy

'11 Dodge Challenger IE 392 6spd... midlife car
jeffspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:41 PM   #5
xshadow

I wouldn't even know where to start with welding I would have to find a friend to help. I didn't think the bodo was a great idea. it dosn't look bad above the windshield only one tiny bubble of paint that i plucked at with my finger and found the smallest of holes. the rest of the paint looks good. I'm concerned about it getting worse. and really concerned about the roof.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:53 PM   #6
jeffspower
Well, Whoop-dee-do!

That old '67 cab I had just about put me in tears when I found the rust behind the visors, especially when I started poking at it, and my finger went thru. Somehow you need to get Rust bullet or something sprayed in there between the inner/ outer metal. Maybe you could get some kind of wand thru the visor mounting holes. You could drill a hole for access behind the rearview mount & visor "J" catches. That way knowbody would see them, and you wouldn't have to fill them. I also suspect that the drip rail seam sealer is dry- rotted, letting water in. Be sure to check it out.

'72 K20 500 Cad/TH400/NP205 SOLD

'92 Chevy 2500 6.5 mech TD 4L80E crusty daily driver

'72 Monte Carlo... sweet low mile toy

'11 Dodge Challenger IE 392 6spd... midlife car
jeffspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:02 AM   #7
Chevelle454

To check for sure I think you might have to remove the windshield to see about that small hole. Mine was also as you described, but when I removed the windshield it was much worse under the rubber seal. I sandblasted and sealed up the metal and put in a new windshield.

1972 C10
1972 C20
Chevelle454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:00 AM   #8
xshadow

yeah rust is usually worse than it looks. I did poke hard at the spot in the cab with my finger and the only thing that i saw was a tiny hole. I just got the truck so I haven't had time to look at it. where the drip rail is...where it turns to go from the front of the cab to the sides it doesn't look very good I couldn't see much due to the silicone that someone put on there but the pin hole seems like it is the start to the end of a good cab.