The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
Dragster66ss

Do you think I hurt it?

I've been driving the 77 as a DD just for the he11uvit since i got it a couple weeks ago. Have been watching all guages CLOSELY, as i'm used to doing with the race cars. Well it's made it to and from work (5 miles one way)lol 10 or so times, to the rents and back (60+ miles one way) twice, and to Raleigh (75 miles) and back this past weekend. As i'm pulling into the parking lot @ work today, I notice something is amiss, so i pull into a space and cut'er off. Almost imediately its spitting water/AF out of the puke-tank. I switch the key back on to check and sure enuff, the temp guage is PEGGED. (no #s just C and H)<- does anyone know what "H" is on a degree scale?

so i pop the hood and check the obvious (to me at least): oil = full, Leaks/breakage = none, and water = puking out.

I leave it from then (1:30pm) untill quitting time (5pm). Got the ole lady (she doesnt mind the name lol) to meet me for a follow home / ride home depending.

Check everything, fill 3 gal of h2o that puked out, and fire it up. No evident signs of damage (WOOHOO), i have to think SOMETHING was hurt as i noticed the engine not running well just before I cut it off.

Clearly my fault for not watching the guages better Guess i need an ID-10-T light. Prob karma comin round to get me for poking fun @ the ID10T lites

So anyways... if you made it this far, thanks for reading, and do ya think she'll be ok? Things to check/look for/ keep an eye on?

ps. Drove it all the way home (5 miles) with no sign of heating.

My only guess is T-stat sticking?
67 Chevelle 427/m22 (My street ride)
3 1966 chevy II drag cars (fam racing operation: pop, lil-brother, and myself)
Dragster66ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
ChaseDale3and8

Re: Do you think I hurt it?

It is very possible that you either blew a head gasket or cracked a cylinder head, maybe even both. I would start by doing a compression check and see what it looks like. Any large difference, especially between the center cylinders would indicate a blown head gasket. The head gaskets normally blow out between the cylinders.

A cracked head or a blown head gasket will cause it to run rough and you will see white smoke coming from the exhaust. Also check the oil for water in it. The oil will look milky if it's either a head gasket or cracked head because coolant will have leaked in. 3 gallons is a lot of water to lose! The most likely culprit that would cause this damage would be a $5 thermostat. ...Joe

Last edited by ChaseDale3and8; 06-28-2007 at 07:18 PM.
ChaseDale3and8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:42 AM   #3
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

do a pressure check on the t stat...if thats not it, you may need a water pump soon

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

check your thermost first,,easyiest to do...you know the routine,,make sure thers no oil in the water,,or the other way around..make sure the oil ias full,,,,check water pump,,,i have had this happen ,,never did figure out what was wrong...other than it was about 100 degrees out side...if its not knocking,,or got oil in water, or water in oil, change the water/af, drive it.. but when it gets really hot outside durig the summer,, i take it alittle easier on it...also check the fan clutch,,mine went out last yr,,darned truck ran hot on me, then after that i changed that,,the water pump went out..go figure..
Old 06-29-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Dragster66ss

Thanks.
Yeah, thats where i'm at now. No water/oil mix that I can tell. I'll probably put a new T-stat in it for good measure. I'll be watching it closer now and if it makes another run up, hopefully I'll catch it and be able to discover the cause.

Thanks again.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:49 AM   #6
OJOE
Crew Cut

[QUOTE=Dragster66ss;2243601]Thanks.
Yeah, thats where i'm at now. No water/oil mix that I can tell. I'll probably put a new T-stat in it for good measure. I'll be watching it closer now and if it makes another run up, hopefully I'll catch it and be able to discover the cause.

Thanks again.[/QUOTE
may want to replace the rad cap also. good luck
06 CHEV TAHOE (WIFES)
30 MODEL A HOT ROD
07 HARLEY DAVIDSON BAGGER
09 STREET GLIDE
AN D A LOT MORE JUNK

Last edited by OJOE; 06-30-2007 at 06:53 AM.
OJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:14 AM   #7
Dragster66ss

Good call. Now that you mention it,, i've left it 'loose' ever since it got hot. (0 pressure).

the fella I got the truck from had put a 7 lbs cap on it. What do most of y'all run?
Old 06-30-2007, 03:01 PM   #8
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

id also chack the clutch fan it maight be going stiupid on yea another reason for the flexfan i have.

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote