The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
WinDancer
The Original HotRod KnifeMaker

Unhappy Need straight info about drop spindles

I have a 68 c10 2wd with a big block, converted to front 5 lug disks. After almost a full year the truck is almost done and drivable.

The truck rides so low that the headers are getting banged up in our driveway.

One of the shops I had it to said that the coil springs were heated for lowering and that I needed to replace them with new big block springs. They also said the spindles were stock height.

So I had the big block springs put in, along with upper control arm bushings, new pads and the rotors turned. They said the joints were good and tight.

It raised the headers about 1 inch. I want at least 2 more inches under the headers.

Went by Les Schwabe today and they said the biggest tires that will fit the front will only give me another 1 inch.

Another mechanic told me the truck has drop spindles and that those were the problem all along.

Is there a way for a non-mechanic/novice to tell if the spindles are drop spindles and how much of a drop they are?

From reading and looking at catalog's there appear to be different spindles for different drop amounts?

Are there pictures somewhere that show the different spindles installed side-by-side so you can see where they are mounted and where those mounts lines up on the wheels?

The way it looks now is that the [lower a-arm?] looks to be dead even with the bottom of the wheel.

Would it then follow that stock spindles would be much closer to the top of the wheel and that medium drop spindles would be between the upper end and where mine are now?

I don't want to spend another dime until I know for sure what will get me the extra 2 inches I want.

I am completely lost here and would be very grateful for some serious guidance to get my headers out of the rocks.

Many thanks,
Old 06-30-2007, 12:33 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Need straight info about drop spindles

I don't have any pics, but I can try and describe the spindles to you. If you look at the backside of the spindle you should be able to see where the spindle itself is pressed into the casting. With stock spindles that will be pretty much centered between the ball joints. On a lowered spindle it will be closer to the upper ball joint. Hope that made sense.

My '66 Suburban with a big block has stock spindles and the original sb springs, and I haven't had any problems with the full length headers hitting. It sits just a little lower than stock with the extra weight.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:55 AM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

It sounds to me like the real problem is the headers. If you have long tube headers on it your going to drag. Put some mid length headers on and tuck the exhaust.
Then drop it some more...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:05 AM   #4
WinDancer

Whew- that made what to look at clear enough

I grabbed a couple pics from the ECE site:

The top one is a stock height, and the bottom one is a 2.5 drop.

So if I can get a clear view of the machined piece and it is near the end of the casting it is a stock height, and if it is near the center it is a drop spindle?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by WinDancer; 06-30-2007 at 01:06 AM.
WinDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:21 AM   #5
WinDancer

I just paid almost $600 for the super-comp ceramics- and they are now marked up from the driveway. They are going to stay

I try to buy most of my parts here local, so I went to the Classic Heartbeat site and I can't see the different shaft locations:

Top is standard

bottom is dropped?????????????????

Guess I will go see Wes in the morning.... maybe a pic out of place

Thanks, Guys!
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2007, 01:36 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

It looks like I may have given wrong info. I was thinking that the stock spindles were more in the center, but it looks like they are more towards the lower ball joint, and the 2.5" drops are in the center. It's been a while since I've looked at one....sorry for the misinformation.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinDancer View Post
I just paid almost $600 for the super-comp ceramics- and they are now marked up from the driveway. They are going to stay

I try to buy most of my parts here local, so I went to the Classic Heartbeat site and I can't see the different shaft locations:

Top is standard

bottom is dropped?????????????????

Guess I will go see Wes in the morning.... maybe a pic out of place

Thanks, Guys!
They don't look different as far as the spindle 'spud' height.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
trkklr77
Account Suspended

Location: vacaville ca, because it as far from indy as i can be

those are dropped

stock is at the botom like the first pic posted

i have a set of stock 72's ill sell or trade you.

$120 shipped or ill pay shipping for both mine and yours to me if you want.
Attached Images

Last edited by trkklr77; 06-30-2007 at 02:44 PM.
trkklr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:35 PM   #9
WinDancer

Well, I found a set of stock spindles from a 71/72 in like-new condition for $75.

Took them and the truck in for the swap and the mechanic called two hours later- the spindles won't fit.

Called Classic Heartbeat and they sent a pair of earlier spindles. The mechanic called a couple of hours later- the earlier one won't fit, either.

Classic had no others in stock.

Sat down with the drop spindles that were removed, and they are stamped 'Trailmaster' '24F2' '903102'.

Trailmaster did not return a call from the mechanic.

Their web site doesn't list drop spindles.

Anyone have any idea about how to ID the year of my 5-lug disk front end in order to get the correct spindles?

Or where to get info about Trailmaster drop spindles?

TIA
Old 07-10-2007, 11:17 PM   #10
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

Did the mech say WHY they don't fit????

As for this new fitting problem, have mech. check the ball joints. for the 71/72 spindles you got, you need 71/72 ball joints. if your "original" spindles were from '73-87, then you would have had ball joints from those years.

Were the Classic Heartbeat spindles made to fit the orig. '68 ball joints, like ECE spindles are??? If so, then you need
'68 balljoints for them.

This life was a test. It was only a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have received instructions on where to go and what to do.

RED meat is not bad for you...FUZZY BLUE/GREEN MEAT is bad for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUILT FORD TOUGH WITH CHEVY STUFF--sticker at Goodguys

Last edited by 70C10Toejam; 07-10-2007 at 11:18 PM.
70C10Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:27 AM   #11
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70C10Toejam View Post
Did the mech say WHY they don't fit????

As for this new fitting problem, have mech. check the ball joints. for the 71/72 spindles you got, you need 71/72 ball joints. if your "original" spindles were from '73-87, then you would have had ball joints from those years.

Were the Classic Heartbeat spindles made to fit the orig. '68 ball joints, like ECE spindles are??? If so, then you need
'68 balljoints for them.
X2....should just be a matter of changing the ball joints to the correct ones for the spindles. Sorry I don't know anything about the Trailmaster spindles.

Last edited by Captainfab; 07-11-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:48 AM   #12
WinDancer

Yup, he sure did. After my eyes started to glaze over he finally wound down. Can I tell you what he told me? Nope. The 71/72 won't fit. The earlier model from Classic Heartbeat don't fit.
I am not a mechanic. I usually just point and he takes it from there. He calls when it is finished and then I take my truck back home
I work full-time as a computer tech, make some custom knives on the side, maintain our home on 5 acres and try to sneak in a few hours here and there with a fly rod. Sometime get a couple of hours to take my sweetie for a ride in the truck [she loves burnouts].

I understand 'don't fit'. My understanding stops right about there.

When I first bought my old truck I envisioned a Mr. Goodwrench in the neighborhood. I could take one of the drop spindles to him and he would get out his calipers, take a few quick measurements, look in a book, and then say to me 'These are from a 1974 Chevy/GMC half-ton, two wheel drive.'

Mr. Goodwrench is in the witness protection program and his location is classified beyond my clearance.

I guess I could just keep ordering spindles until I fall on the correct ones, but I am hoping that maybe someone has a magic page from the goodwrench manual that lists the individual year differences [I know they don't change every year]. I have a set of calipers and a decent rule, If I knew what to measure I could do that.

Wes at Classic Heartbeat told me he thought the front end was a 71/72. That Is why I started where I did. Wes's next attempt to help was to send down the only other spindles he had in stock-

"Nope, but what's it gonna to do, not work worse?"

I am not being a smartA$$- I am honestly just lost and have no idea where to go look or measure or ask.

This board has been the closest thing to goodwrench and almost always comes through one way or another.

Thanks to all who have taken their time to share info and make suggestions
Old 07-11-2007, 01:04 AM   #13
PBFAB.COM

Dave-

Your experiencing something that many of us have been through... and countless more will encounter as well.

The last time this happened to me (a month or so ago) I had the parts house send me out the different ball joint options from 67-87 and test fit them until I found out which ball joints fit... and hence which year spindles they were. See if your mechanic can do something like this for you... it may be the best, and quickest solution.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:17 AM   #14
bagged74
its just $$$$$

the trailmaster spindles are more than likely 73-87 I dont think they ever made them for 71-72. I will check the casting number on mine tomorrow and let you know if they are the same as what you have. I know mine are for 73-87.
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #15
WinDancer

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:03 PM   #16
trkklr77
Account Suspended

well that would work even better for me.....

i need the 73-87 anyways.

if you are still considering it.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #17
WinDancer

Bagged74, did you get a chance to check the numbers on yours?

trkklr77, that is quite a bit more than I am willing to pay for used stock spindles, but thanks for the offer.

Porterbuilt, thanks for the encouragement and the suggestion. If I don't hear back from bagged74 by Tuesday I will try to find a set of 73 spindles and see how they look and fit. Another local mechanic says the reason the 71/72 won't fit is because the mounting needs to be reamed only slightly. The original mechanic said that they went in just fine but that he was unable to get the nut tightened down far enough to put in the cotter pin- so it sounds like maybe the reamer may be one answer. I still would like the correct ones that just bolt in place.

Thanks for everyone's help with this
Old 07-12-2007, 11:12 PM   #18
trkklr77
Account Suspended

i will trade you for your drops that dont fit for stocks that do fit and pay shipping both ways, costs you nothing?!?!??!?
Old 07-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #19
bagged74
its just $$$$$

903102 on the right side
903101 on the left side
20E4 on both sides

Last edited by bagged74; 07-12-2007 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:42 PM   #20
WinDancer

Bagged you just solved the mystery- those are the same as mine- so now I just need a set of 73 to 87 stock spindles and I can get my truck back on the road.
Thanks to all,
Old 07-12-2007, 11:44 PM   #21
bagged74
its just $$$$$

I have several sets if you cant find some local, shipping would brobably be spendy though.

The trade with trkklr77 might be a good deal for both of you unless you are gonna hang on to them for later.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:45 PM   #22
trkklr77
Account Suspended

i can get you then for $25ea plus shipping from my pnp, or ill trade you a just the same as before.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:24 AM   #23
WinDancer

The dropped spindles are not for sale right now. I am not going to burn that bridge until AFTER I see the new stance with the stock spindles on and drive it for a few weeks.

I am going to try to find a set here locally, just to try to skip the shipping delay.

Bagged, thank you again for climbing under your truck to get the numbers for me.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:29 AM   #24
bagged74
its just $$$$$

no problem man, miy truck is up on jack stands anyway with the front cap off.lol
Old 07-18-2007, 12:51 PM   #25
WinDancer

To put this to bed, finally
I was able to use the 71/72 spindles and just swapped out the ball joints. Wes at Classic Heartbeat took the time to go look at the truck and them match up the ball joints and deliver them to the mechanic.
I picked up the truck yesterday and it now clears our access road without dragging the full-sized headers on the rocks.
Thanks to all!