The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2007, 02:31 AM   #1
raiden7800
Straight "6" Shooter

Exclamation Help! I need somebody, Help! not just anybody, Help! I need someone, heeeelllp!

For some reason, my clutch won't disengage anymore. It was working fine, then it started getting harder to put into 1st, then I couldnt get in 1st at all. So I used 2nd. I adjusted it when I got home, and it worked again until today, and it just all of the sudden, I have no clutch. The pedal feels fine, and it works fine if I shut the engine off and place it in gear and then go, although when I parked it, it was disengaging only far enough to start lightly toasting the clutch plate. Is this because the clutch and the trans arent lined up correctly? How can I tell if they are/are not? The PO said he put clutch in it, and it has worked fine until now. My shop m manual supplement only covers hydraulic, and I have manual.

Anyone have an idea? To what extent am I going to have to take this thing apart?

Rob

If you listen intently, you can hear a FORD rusting in the distance.

My LUG NUTS take more TORQUE than your HONDA makes!
raiden7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Chevy Fleetside

Re: Help! I need somebody, Help! not just anybody, Help! I need someone, heeeelllp!

Sounds like you might have a leaky rear mail seal on the engine. If you have an inspection plate you will be able to tell that way. I can't remember if these trucks have an inspection plate or not. If the rear mail leaks it will soak on the clutch plate and the oil will turn to grease making it stick to the flywheel and will not disengage and keep the tranny spinning which makes it impossible to put in gear. If you stop and put it in gear and then hold on to the brake then it will break free from the flywheel but only one time probably... You need to look up there somehow and see if it is greased in..

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
Chevy Fleetside

Re: Help! I need somebody, Help! not just anybody, Help! I need someone, heeeelllp!

I forgot to add.. If it is not greased over then the pressure plate might be failing. You will be able to tell if you have someone push on the clutch pedal and you watch the pressure plate move. Of course you will need an inspection plate for this. If you can't see the clutch it won't do you any good.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
raiden7800
Straight "6" Shooter

Thanks.. I'll give it a shot.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:40 PM   #5
lou6t4gto

If it was the rear main seal, the clutch would slip when engauged, also, you would smell it. is it a mechanical clutch or a hydraulic clutch?
lou6t4gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:56 PM   #6
lou6t4gto

if it's a hydraulic clutch, it may be: the master cylinder, the slave cylinder, or the pressure plate. if it's mechanical, it's the pressure plate. alot of people when they put in a New Clutch, only put in the disc, then the pressure plate fails later.
lou6t4gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:44 PM   #7
raiden7800
Straight "6" Shooter

Yes, I have mechanical, and I have heard the same pressure plate thing from many other personal sources, so it seems that it is the culprit. Best procedure for putting a new one in? And how much are they usually cost wise?