The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2007, 10:10 PM   #1
franko72
Franko72

HEI Dist. swap

I installed my HEI dist. today, changed wires, regapped plugs, changed ignition wiring.Will the existing timing mark pointer for points system work with a timing light for the newer HEI distributor?If so, what degrees should the timing be set and at what RPM? I dont have an inductive timing gun, I only have an older gun that requires a spring type adapter to hook up to # 1 plug.Havent done this in a decade. Any tips would help.

1972 C20 cheyenne Super 402 BB/400 turbo LWB A/C Tilt, Cruise Control, Saddle tanks, Tach
My Home Page
Better to burn out than it is to rust
franko72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: HEI Dist. swap

Unless you went to a total electronic spark system the DIZZY is a DIZZY. So your timing marks are good for the HEI. Use the #1 cylinder and set your timing with the vacuum hose removed from the HEI advance pot. Take your engine RPMs to around 700 RPMs and work from there. I have tinkered with my timing on my trucks to the point that they are now set at TOTAL timing and not initial timing. ( I use a timing light with the advance curve dial on it). These are not expensive and the ones from SEARs are good for what we do. I would set your intiial timing to around 10 degrees and work your way out further if the engine does not diesel, ping, or have RUN-ON when you shut it off. I believe that the factory timing is lower than 10 degrees, but I haven't worked in that area for years. With the timing advanced slighlty you will get a better acceleration and performance all around.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:42 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: HEI Dist. swap

I used to have an old spring-type light, but luckily it broke so I treated myself to a basic (no advance curve dial) Sun inductive light. Anyway it's been so long, I forgot what my timing is set at! I think it's about 12* or so. But after setting it, I just drive and adjust as needed -- bump it up a bit until it starts to ping, then back it down until it doesn't . I use the light to check at each adjustment, in case I twist the dizzy too far. Of course, have the engine warm, vacuum advance disconnected and vacuum line plugged...

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote