The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2007, 02:15 AM   #1
gophersnake

Gaskets for the 351 V6

Back in '96 (when I last had the heads off my 351 V6) I could still find every gasket I needed for it. A few months ago, though, when I needed a new oil pan gasket, I ended up cutting my own from sheet cork.

So far I have managed to find valve cover gaskets (Fel-Pro VS 12932R). A transmission pan gasket comes with the transmission filter kit (ATP B-29).

I expect to need another gasket soon, which I can't even identify for sure. I think it would be called the timing cover gasket; it goes between the front of the block and a piece that does, I think, enclose the timing chain but that also houses the water pump. It used to hold the original (mechanical) fuel pump too, until I went to electric. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Is there any such thing as an overhaul manual for the 351 V6 that would show halfway decent pictures of some of this stuff?

In '96 when I got the heads rebuilt, it took me two sets of head gaskets to get one to seal properly. As I recall, the gaskets (Fel-Pro) came coated with some kind of proprietary stickum that was supposed to seal against the block and head surfaces. What Fel-Pro didn't say (so I found out the hard way) was that I still needed to use gasket compound around all the water passages or else I'd hear nasty hissing sounds from the crankcase when I pressure tested the cooling system. Just in case I ever have the heads off again -- does anyone know of either a good set of instructions for using those Fel-Pro head gaskets, or some other kind of head gasket that does come with good instructions?

I used to use the gaskets from the Hygrade 429 kit for rebuilding my carburetor (Bendix-Stromberg WWC) but they're made of pretty thin paper and don't fill the gaps very well. I've taken to cutting my own, either from thicker gasket paper or (about 8 months ago) from cork-and-rubber gasket stock. I've occasionally seen high-end carburetor kits offered online for around $60; could they possibly be worth that kind of money?

----------------------------
'68 GMC C2500 with 351 V6, Turbo Hydramatic 400A.

My other car is an '80 Honda Civic.
gophersnake is offline   Reply With Quote