The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2002, 01:10 AM   #1
mikep
Used to have a truck

Good bye Chad Dunaway

A good friend of mine who I've worked with for a few years was found dead today buried in a shallow grave with a bullethole in his head. He had been listed as a missing person since last monday. Apparently he had ridden one of his Harleys down to Vancouver Washington last weekend to confront his cousin about a fairly large debt the cousin owed him. Wer'e not sure of the details yet but it is starting to look like the cousin and Chad got into a fierce argument and guns were drawn. Chad lost it seems. His cousin them panicked and dragged him out into the woods and buried him. After a week or so the Police pieced it all together and issued a warrant for the cousins house and found blood in a storage room. Thats when he cracked and led them to the body.

Chad was a good guy. He was 29 years old. No Kids but he did have a couple of really nice Chevy trucks . A mid 70's hi riding 4X4 and also a low riding LS6 powered 80 stepside. He was always bugging me to sell him my 68. He will be missed by all who knew him.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:23 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

damn..tragic. Really sorry about your loss man.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 09:27 AM   #3
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

My thoughts are with you. That is very sad.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 09:52 AM   #4
jostrans68
Jostrans68

Mike did this guy go to Curtis and his dad used to own dunnaways auto body in tacoma?
Old 09-19-2002, 09:57 AM   #5
mikep
Used to have a truck

He was a Seattle kid. Grew up in Tukwilla and had a home in Rat city and Tukwilla.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:04 AM   #6
meathead95
computer illiterate

sorry about your loss. thats terrible.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:40 PM   #7
COBALT

Does he have a wife?
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 10:10 PM   #8
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Sorry to hear its tuff when it close to home.
69 C-10, OWNED 38YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 10:45 PM   #9
72 Super

Sorry to hear of this.Its a shame things like this has to happen.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:25 PM   #10
mikep
Used to have a truck

Chad dint have a wife although he did recently break up with his girlfriend of 4 years . I was all set up to introduce him to my wifes sister. Damned shame.

VANCOUVER MAN ACCUSED IN KILLING OF COUSIN

Thursday, September 19, 2002
By JOHN BRANTON and STEPHANIE THOMSON, Columbian staff writers

Growing up, William Malicoat idolized his older cousin, Chad Dunaway. Now he's accused of killing him.

The lifelong friends recently had a falling-out over a loan Dunaway made to help Malicoat out of a jam, according to family members.

Dunaway came to town about 10 days ago to collect and hadn't been heard from since.

But Tuesday, sheriff's detectives found Dunaway's body about 75 feet off a logging road in the Canyon Creek area of far-northeast Clark County.

Dunaway, 28, died of two gunshots to the abdomen, said an investigator for the Clark County Office of the Medical Examiner.

Malicoat, 23, was arrested and taken to the Clark County Jail, where he's being held on $100,000 bail.

Malicoat, 9100 N.E. 15th Ave., made his first appearance Wednesday in Clark County Superior Court on suspicion of second-degree murder. He will appear in court today to receive an arraignment date. Defense attorney Suzan Clark has been appointed to represent Malicoat.

Detectives say Dunaway, who lived in Tukwila where he was a roasting supervisor for Seattle's Best Coffee, set out for Vancouver on his Harley-Davidson motorcycle on Sept. 8. He planned to confront Malicoat about several thousand dollars he'd lent him that hadn't been paid back.

Malicoat was earning $600 a month at Mobile Massage, where he has worked for two years.

"(Dunaway) had been helping William out financially," said Patricia Patterson, the men's grandmother. "He (Malicoat) needed an attorney and to be bailed out of jail," she added.

Clark County District Court records show that Malicoat was charged in July with fourth-degree domestic-violence assault. He pleaded not guilty. Hearings on the charges were scheduled in the next week.

"He was trying to help him through that," Patterson said. "That's the way Chad was. When his family was in trouble, he was there to help them."

On Tuesday, detectives from the Clark County Sheriff's Major Crimes Team searched a storage locker that Malicoat rented in the 2900 block of Kauffman Avenue in west Vancouver. The officers found blood stains, and Malicoat allegedly confessed to shooting his cousin.

Dunaway's motorcycle was found at the southeast Portland home of one of Malicoat's acquaintances.

"William said they got into a scuffle and it was self-defense," Patterson said.

"Everyone is in a total, complete state of shock over this," she said. "I guess we'll never really know what transpired."

Family members said the cousins were close until about a year ago and then seemed to be going in "different directions."

Cheryl Malicoat remembers her son, Chad Dunaway, at age 8, playfully wrestling with his cousin William, then 3.

"They were nearly like brothers," said Cheryl Malicoat, a Tacoma resident. "They hung out together. William idolized Chad, and Chad was kind of his mentor."

"They were more like brothers than cousins," agreed Patterson. "They had been through thick and thin and buddies their whole life."
Old 09-19-2002, 11:42 PM   #11
Spoof

Thats a tragedy, he probably loved the guy and he shoots him. Seems guns tend to make a bad situation worse so often, there's no undoing that.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:53 PM   #12
devinfife

thats terribly sad. i was best friends with my cousin when growing up. im sorta speechless. that article kind of got to me. 'at age 8 they wrestled playfully in the back yard' damn tragic

69 c-10. turquoise. 350 motor with 400 trans. long fleet. headers and dual flowmaster exhaust. K & N air cleaner, aluminum wheels and radials, stereo system and a bed liner. Manual drums and manual steering.

Kickin it in Seattle, WA

p.s. i love my longbed. must be a phallic thing.
devinfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 12:24 AM   #13
68 with 350 TPI

Mikep I just read this...
Im very sorry for your loss.

I have had a similar loss in my life but I wont go into it at this time.

Just try to remember the good times.
my best,
Bobby.
Old 09-20-2002, 12:47 AM   #14
mikep
Used to have a truck

For me the real creepy thing is I used to live in that area and I know those logging roads like the back of my hand. I have stuck in my head a mental picture of the exact area where they dumped his body. I can see it plain as day. We used to take off from work at least once a week when I worked at Pyramid Ales in Kalama and drive up Kalama river road until we got to the old one lane weyerhauser logging bridge over Elk Creek . Then we'd trow some ropes of it and spend a few hours getting sloppy drunk and rapelling off it until the logging cops showed up to throw us off the property. Those dickheads dumped Chads lifeless body not a few hundred yards from that spot. I can see it plain as day.
Chad was one of those guys everybody liked. He had a firey temper but it only came out when he was right. I respected him and I can count the number of people I have true respect for on both my hands .

Last edited by mikep; 09-20-2002 at 12:54 AM.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 02:06 AM   #15
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

damn, I couldn't even begin to imagine what it would be like to loose a good friend that way, must be awful,...........soory to hear about your loss. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote