The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2007, 08:49 AM   #1
bobo

87 v20 Distributor 350 Motor

Good Morning , I recently changed the wires , cap and rotor the other day , however the truck turns over but will not stat. A coule of questions ...seing that this has a cap and rotor im guessing that this is not HEI ? I ask cause in the haynes manual there are two locations for the firing order . I'm using the firing order that is not HEI ...I've checked to see that al wires are connected , the coil is connected and cap is on securly.2nd ...I changed the rotor which was extremely tough to get off though finally came off ...there should only be one way off/on ? could this not be seated correctly ? I have read a few posts after people have changed the wires and seem to have to have some similar issues ...Lastly could I have donen any damage to the coil do I need to replace it ? Any information you have would be helpful.

Thanks in advance ,

Bobo
bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
beaterC10

Re: 87 v20 Distributor 350 Motor

You do have HEI. Since the timing is controlled by the computer you don't have the advance mechanism found in older HEIs. The firing order is the same regardless what distributor you have.

The cap terminals are numbered clockwise from the terminal designated as #1. You could designate any terminal #1 as long as the rotor lines up with the terminal when the engine is at TDC for the #1 cylinder. Normally the #1 is around the 4 or 5 o'clock position on the cap.

If you did not remove the distributor from the engine, you could rotate the engine until the timing marks line up on the damper and timing tab and find the #1 cap terminal. The timing marks will line up two times, in of the positions of aligment you should fing the rotor lines up somewhere close to what is shown in your manul as the #1 cap terminal.

It is possible you damaged the coil, but I would verify the installation of the wires before replacing parts.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
bobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterC10 View Post
You do have HEI. Since the timing is controlled by the computer you don't have the advance mechanism found in older HEIs. The firing order is the same regardless what distributor you have.

The cap terminals are numbered clockwise from the terminal designated as #1. You could designate any terminal #1 as long as the rotor lines up with the terminal when the engine is at TDC for the #1 cylinder. Normally the #1 is around the 4 or 5 o'clock position on the cap.

If you did not remove the distributor from the engine, you could rotate the engine until the timing marks line up on the damper and timing tab and find the #1 cap terminal. The timing marks will line up two times, in of the positions of aligment you should fing the rotor lines up somewhere close to what is shown in your manul as the #1 cap terminal.

It is possible you damaged the coil, but I would verify the installation of the wires before replacing parts.

Thanks for the response ....I will try reconnecting the wires to the 4 or 5 o'clock postion . Currently I have # 1 at around 7 o'clock . I was told this was not HEI as the rotor was underneath the cap not resting inside . I think that was my issue with the # 1 not being lined up causing it to turn over however sounding like it was missing .
Old 07-03-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
bobo

Thanks for the response ....I will try reconnecting the wires to the 4 or 5 o'clock postion . Currently I have # 1 at around 7 o'clock . I was told this was not HEI as the rotor was underneath the cap not resting inside . I think that was my issue with the # 1 not being lined up causing it to turn over however sounding like it was missing .
Old 07-04-2007, 12:05 AM   #5
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

All the old SBC's use the same firing order 18436572 regardless of what type of distributor be it points or HEI, (yours is HEI with computer advance)

You can put the number 1 terminal anywhere you want it, you just have to put the engine on TDC and where ever the rotor is pointing the plug wire for the #1 cylinder should be at the terminal that corresponds to where the rotor is.

Generally it is on the right of the 2 front terminals if looking into the engine bay, where I would recommend putting it.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote