The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2007, 01:04 AM   #1
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Battery Recharge Time

Ok, so here's a weird one...

Typically how long would it take our trucks to recharge a battery (from virtually dead), by running the engine or driving. Assuming stock alternator, no accesories running, etc.

The reason for the question - - well, we're going camping and I'm looking to run a laptop off of a power inverter on the truck battery. Obviously the battery will need to be recharged at some points, so I was wondering how long this would take.

I am also thinking of using a deep cycle battery to avoid damaging the vehicle battery with the constant drain, recharge, drain, etc.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Re: Battery Recharge Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilverado View Post
...The reason for the question - - well, we're going camping and I'm looking to run a laptop off of a power inverter on the truck battery. Obviously the battery will need to be recharged at some points, so I was wondering how long this would take...
My apologies to the moderators, this is probably in the wrong forum...

So now I'm thinking of adding a 15W or 18W (at 15V) solar panel to the system to trickle charge the battery. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of stuff?
Old 07-10-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
Mickey_D
Dirteh Kitteh

The solar panel is a good idea, just make sure it's one that has a blocking diode on it, or it'll actually discharge the battery when there's insufficient sunlight.

Something to think about is getting a battery isolator. It allows you to run two different batteries in your truck, charging them both off one alternator. As the name applies, it isolates the two batteries when they are being used, meaning you could use the marine battery for the laptop leaving your vehicle battery fully charged without having to disconnect anything.

Also works great for having a self-jump start built in if you leave the interior light on by mistake or something.

1955 Willys CJ-5 all original and the oldest CJ-5 on the road.
2001 Dodge Neon (wife's car)
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition SOLD
1981 K15 Custom Deluxe 4X4, rusty but trusty wood hauler. SOLD
1993 S-10 4X4 Tahoe SOLD

RIP ESLL
Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Thanks Darrin - that does sound like a cool idea.

In actual fact, what I will likely be doing is keeping the deep cycle battery mounted on the trailer (as it is currently). Then when (if) the battery completely dies, I can throw it into the truck, boost it up, and hit the road for a while to recharge it.