The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
Baby John

Gmc C15?

My truck has some badges that are missing something. It's a '72 GMC. Would that be a C15? And what would have been in this badge? The PO used some sort of lable maker to infill "1500" in the badge.

Also. My hood doesn't close correctly. I think the springs in the hinge are worn out. Or it could be the hinge itself needs replacing. I'm betting this is a common problem. And if I'm not being clear here, I'm talking about when I close the hood, it sticks up a little bit @ the hinge, and also it doesn't center on the grille @ the front.

I can push it down @ the hinge but I can't move it at the grille.

What do you guys usually do to fix this? New hinges? Adjustments?
Baby John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Gmc C15?

1500 would be the correct designation. There were quite a few things put in that spot where the home made 1500 badge went.
On your hood, you are correct in the statement that the springs are worn.
That can be adjusted, but it could take between 15 min, to an hr of lining it up.
Open the hood, and slightly loosen the bolts that hold the hinges to the fender on both sides. Have an assistant push the hood up further. As they are pushing, tighten the bolts. IIRC, there are 3 per side.
Now, slowly try to close the hood, the nicer your paint, the slower you'll wanna go. Have said assistant watch the edges of the hood with an eagle eye... pay special attention to the back edge.
If it clears, then pay attention to the latching. If the lines look dead on, you can move the latch or striker a little bit to make it all work.
More likely, you'll need to loosen the 4 bolts holding the hood to the hinge, and pull the hood forward. This may take a while to get it right, but the end result is worth it.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote