The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2007, 11:58 PM   #1
Billla
Account Suspended

Exhaust: mufflers with turndowns?

Anyone running just a very simple muffler system with turndowns?

I have a real POS "custom" system that was made on the truck a few years ago and it sucks I was thinking that I'd just cut it, put some mufflers (or even...glass packs - yech :/) and put turndowns until I'm at the point of having a real system built.

Problem is that the only easy mount for this is RIGHT under the cab...and that strikes me as dumb

Pictures of your system would be great to help me think this through

Thanks!
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:38 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Exhaust: mufflers with turndowns?

been there, you will go deaf. The noise level in the cab will suck.
Exhaust under the vehicle is a bad idea... even the turndowns in front of the rear axle is a bad idea, the fumes are very corrosive and will cause things to rust.
IMO, a crappy full exhaust is better than a good poverty pipe set up. (which is an oxymoron IMO, there are no 'good' poverty pipe set ups)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:17 AM   #3
Billla
Account Suspended

Good advice; I'll live with what I have until I'm ready to do the good stuff
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:23 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I'd give my left lug nuts to have tail pipes.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

I thought about the turndowns, but with all the above talk and the dust it would be blowing up from the dirt roads are negative points.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 07-14-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
herb101
Used Register

My Jeep has turn-downs right after the Flowmasters. They dump in front of the rear axle. It's loud, hard to get inspected, a royal mess to work on as everything under the tail is soot covered, and as a side-bonus, the driver's side pipe melts the rear brakeline.

Overall, I would not recommend it and will be doing full pipes once the project motor shuffles are all done.

Herb
herb101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Well, I've been running that for a lot of years. Pipes past the x-case & trans, so the mufflers are actually half under the cab & half under the bed. Then turndowns directly behind the mufflers, just ahead of the rear axle. Not too loud inside the cab, and no real dust problem. (Interestingly, a friend of mine had a similar setup on an old Dodge, and it kicked up dust something terrible).

The reason I use that setup is simple. My truck is driven daily, but almost never gets warmed up enough to dry out the exhaust system. When I had pipes up & over the rear axle, they rusted out so quickly that I had to replace them every year or two. Now it lasts a long, long time.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay

Last edited by Stocker; 07-14-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:55 AM   #8
va_tlc

2006gt

1972swb4x4

Last edited by va_tlc; 07-14-2007 at 11:56 AM.
va_tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Arrow Re: Exhaust: mufflers with turndowns?

PO had a new set of pipes with Flow Masters on my truck when I bought it. Flow Masters were mounted too far rearward which made the bend in the pipe too high to allow the pipe to clear the rear end. They didn't give much thought to the bed floor that had to be installed at a later date. The appearence from the rear of the truck looked like I took them off a 68 Chevelle as they dumped down behind the rear tires. So in IMO they had to go new or not.

I cut the pipe from the Flow Masaters rearward and replaced it with the pipe you see now and then I cut the pipe cab side and moved the mufflers toward the cab (noise level no difference) and this gave me more room to have a gradual curve to clear the rear end .... much better. Ran them straight out the back and finished them with 4' s/s tips. Looks way better and no exhaust under the truck to contend with.

I'm changing the full length headers to Sanderson (3/4 length header) headers that drop down rearward in front of the firewall. These headers are made for 67 to 72 trucks that are lowered so they keep your pipes above the frame so they do not have clearence problems.

In the end I will have a set of mufflers that are new out of a new exhaust system. A little more thought as to what the look was that the PO wanted in the end and clearence for the bed floor and exhaust issues could have avoided this waste of time and money.

esll.
Attached Images

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)

Last edited by EAST SIDE LOW LIFE; 07-15-2007 at 09:45 AM.
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
race-n-jason
-Praise the Lowered-

Bill,

Here is a LINK to a write-up that I did several years ago. I started with what seems like the very system you are describing (muffs under the cab w/ turndowns). It was EXTREMELY noisy inside the cab, and the mufflers weren't even flowmasters.

The setup I replaced it with was 2-1/2" pipe, flowmasters located under the bed (not the cab) with turndowns just prior to the rearend. Since I already had the Mufflers sitting around from another project, It didn't cost too much to have the pipe run.

Even though I went with a louder muffler, it was "hands-down" much less noisy inside the cab. However, it does make a bit of "racket" outside. Here is another LINK to a video where you can hear the noise level outside. Keep in mind that it is "echoing" inside the garage, but you'll get the idea.

Later,
JEG
race-n-jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:25 AM   #11
1970shortbed

mine were dumped under the truck and very loud inside i just added tailpies for 150.00 and is a lot better inside i will get pics
1970shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:36 AM   #12
screamin_eagle
Account Suspended

tail pipes would be a plus running down the innterstate wide open throttle a little loud around town not to bad just make sure you roll the windows down or you might die from the fumes

Name:  chery bombs.JPG
Views: 340
Size:  26.4 KB
screamin_eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:38 AM   #13
1970shortbed

my truck is still pretty dirty underneth i have done nothing under there as far as cleaning up

once i move into the new house and will have lots of garage space i will do a frame off with all new body panels

but here are pics of mine it is 3 inch front to back with flowmasters

and what it sounds like

1970shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:23 PM   #14
OlChev67
Ever heard of Beech Island??

my pipes dump under the cab, a little loud in the cab, but not as loud as the cherry bombs were. I have some crappy flexpipe stuff (about 2 feet long) to keep them from hanging down as much now, were just welded together
Attached Images

OlChev67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:00 PM   #15
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Mine are just like Va_tlc's pipes. They aren't too loud at all and have a nice rumble with my Flowtech mufflers.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:49 PM   #16
orange72c10

I just went from having a stock exhaust up front but last year I took the muffler and tail pipe off and replaced it with one glass pack, it exited in front of the rear axle. I hated it. It had a lot of exhaust soot on the rear axle. I just replaced the manifolds with headman headers and went back all the way from front to back with aluminized 2 1/2" pipe. I made an X pipe and placed the mufflers under the box and they exit right behind the rear wheels. When you are driving down the road you can actually have a good conversation without yelling but when you want to get on it Oh baby she sounds nice. Oh forgot I put Flowmaster series 40's on it. A really really nice side affect of the exhaust system is a great deal of horsepower since the motor is actually breathing much much better. I was shocked at how much HP I gained and so were my friends.

The best part of all that is we have a local garage that my buddy knows who has the bender and my buddy and I were the ones who got to bend it ourselves and put it on. So I guess if I have anyone to blame for having something wrong I have to blame myself
orange72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote